X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• heretic
    replied
    Originally posted by Tungsten
    Gee folks... I've got good news for you! As has already been stated, the next release will be RC1 and it will include the new style! So you don't have to worry about any more betas or making a sight-unseen comittment to the new look and feel.

You'd think that this hadn't been discussed already.
    you completely missed my point. read my post above yours.

if you're not going to release the style until RC1, that defeats the purpose of having a beta. Honestly, Jelsoft cannot test for every bug, so why put out a release on a style that's only been privately tested?

Leave a comment:

• Tungsten
    replied
    Gee folks... I've got good news for you! As has already been stated, the next release will be RC1 and it will include the new style! So you don't have to worry about any more betas or making a sight-unseen comittment to the new look and feel.

You'd think that this hadn't been discussed already.

Leave a comment:

• heretic
    replied
    My main concern is the style set that will be released, that we have not seen.

Releasing a beta is great, but it's only half a beta. How well will the styles be able to be configured? How will they be coded? simple HTML?

if you're not going to release the style until RC1, that defeats the purpose of having a beta. Honestly, Jelsoft cannot test for every bug, so why put out a release on a style that's only been privately tested?

I'm reminded of "Dawn" by Glitchless. or perhaps Duke Nukem Forever?

Leave a comment:

• JonnyQuest
    replied
    Damn, this is a pretty bitter thread. As a very long time user of vB and ex-UBB user, I can't resist...

While I find the development cycle and endless betas and lack of information very frustrating, I think that Jelsoft has the right to make their own mistakes. However, the one thing they have done that I find incredibly frustrating and bordering on unacceptable is that they have almost created vaporware out of vB3. I say almost because yes, it will eventually be released. However, the very concept of vaporware is to announce a piece of software or a new version to scare off competitors and to prevent customers from leaving. By announcing that vB3 would be on its way far more than a year before its ready, Jelsoft surely prevented some fine developers from creating competitive products, and prevented many of us from moving to new software. I can't tell you how many times I have become frustrated and began to look at alternative forum software, only to say to myself 'vB3 will be out soon, its not worth it.'. I give Jelsoft the benefit of the doubt that this is just their mistake, however, if it is outright deception than this is utterly unacceptable.

Leave a comment:

• rylin
    replied
    Originally posted by grace819
    If your happy with the service then fine... but IMO, this type of service and practice is totally unacceptable.
    Since they never gave you a release-date, how can you demand anything?

Leave a comment:

• grace819
    replied
    Originally posted by rylin
    You got a three-month extension, didn't you?

Also, jelsoft didn't give a release date.
    They gave release-estimates, personally.
    If your happy with the service then fine... but IMO, this type of service and practice is totally unacceptable.

Leave a comment:

• rylin
    replied
    I bought my vB in the hope that vB3 would be released within a 1 year time frame yet after more than a year of waiting, were still in the Beta stage! I always believed in the saying that "You get what you pay for", but this is a total sham! If this is the best business practice that Jelsoft can offer their existing clients (specifically for those whose owned licensed are expiring) then they have already lost a customer!

After all this wait and after seeing the development going on at Invision, PHPBB and the other boards (not to mention that they're FREE), I'm sorry to say that I regret my purchase of vB!
    You got a three-month extension, didn't you?

Also, jelsoft didn't give a release date.
    They gave release-estimates, personally.

Leave a comment:

• grace819
    replied
    Originally posted by rylin
    There was a three-month extension to everyones' licenses
    I bought my vB in the hope that vB3 would be released within a 1 year time frame yet after more than a year of waiting, were still in the Beta stage! I always believed in the saying that "You get what you pay for", but this is ridiculous and a total sham! If this is the best business practice and service that Jelsoft can offer their existing clients (specifically for those whose owned licensed are expiring) then they have already lost a customer since it really shows how much they really value their clients and they're only after the $$$!

After all this wait and after seeing the development going on at Invision, PHPBB and the other boards (not to mention that they're FREE), I'm sorry to say that I regret my purchase of vB!
    Last edited by grace819; Wed 29 Oct '03, 9:18am.

Leave a comment:

• rylin
    replied
    If the people behind vBulletin admits that the development of vB3 took too long to complete, then at the very least you should offer vB2 buyer's a free or complementary upgrade to vB3 specifically for those whose 1 year (owned licensed) upgrade is about to expire!
    There was a three-month extension to everyones' licenses

Leave a comment:

• grace819
    replied
    This is a blatantly poor excuse....

Originally posted by Scott MacVicar
    We all completely agree that this has taken too long and this wont happen again with all of our future projects.

A more precise documentation and timeline will be used rather than the current unorganised system.
    If the people behind vBulletin admits that the development of vB3 took too long to complete, then at the very least you should offer vB2 buyer's a free or complementary upgrade to vB3 specifically for those whose 1 year (owned licensed) upgrade is about to expire!

Leave a comment:

• Ksilebo
    replied
    I guess I'll be among the few patient people who are just eagerly yet patiently waiting. I need to renew my owned license, but I can wait.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    Originally posted by Techguy1
    One of my (owned) licenses expired recently. I am not renewing it until the final release of vb 3. And frankly, it's time to draw a line here.
    That is what we recommend.

Leave a comment:

• Weasel
    replied
    Originally posted by poolking
    Owned licences do not expire, only access to the members area to download new versions.
    That's kind of a show stopper..

Leave a comment:

• poolking
    replied
    Originally posted by Techguy1
    One of my (owned) licenses expired recently. I am not renewing it until the final release of vb 3. And frankly, it's time to draw a line here.
    Owned licences do not expire, only access to the members area to download new versions.

Loads of people seem to get confused by this. You don't have to pay the $30 when it expires you can pay this whenever you want, so what is the point you are trying to make?

Leave a comment:

• Techguy1
    replied

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X