Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Way back in June 2002.....

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Way back in June 2002.....

    Have a look at this and check the date.

    It is the thread announcing the first vBulletin 3 Public Preview Site - this was back in June 2002!!

    vBulletin.com have now been running vB3 on their site for almost one year (Nov 2002).

    Since the vBulletin 3 Public Preview Site, I have had to renew my vB3 license twice and I still haven't got vB3.

    I know the devs are working hard on this, but could they have kept the work undercover a bit longer? People have now been expecting it for almost 1.5 years now, and although I'm a patient guy, I'm starting to get a little annoyed.

    I realise that if I ask how much longer it is going to take, I will not get an answer and users will go on about the death of many kittens or something silly.

    Anyone else starting to feel the same as me about this?
    Mike Warner
    MIGWeb - a Vauxhall Site for Enthusiasts of all Vauxhalls

  • #2


    The Admin Zone - Resources for Forum Administrators
    Articles - Forum Review
    Interviews:
    Kier Scott Jerry Andreas Steve Wayne Jake Floris Logician Erwin
    Paul M

    Comment


    • #3
      I agree. It's completely rediculous the amount of time the release of the software has taken. I'm sure Jelsoft will agree.

      And yes there will be many people saying, it'll be ready when it's ready etc etc, well we've been hearing this for over a year now.
      Motorsport Forums

      Comment


      • #4
        Although, now hopefully, vB3 is nearly ready for it's final release, I believe that Jelsoft have appeared as a shockingly poor company in regards to its customer service.

        As Mike has pointed out, a thread was written by John in July 2002, saying that a Public Beta Viewing was ready. Yet well over 14 months down the line, we're still viewing a Public Beta of it.

        For a company that makes a lot of profit per year, I'm surprised they haven't hired someone with enough brains to tell them how to act professionally.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by A:\
          Although, now hopefully, vB3 is nearly ready for it's final release, I believe that Jelsoft have appeared as a shockingly poor company in regards to its customer service.

          As Mike has pointed out, a thread was written by John in July 2002, saying that a Public Beta Viewing was ready. Yet well over 14 months down the line, we're still viewing a Public Beta of it.

          For a company that makes a lot of profit per year, I'm surprised they haven't hired someone with enough brains to tell them how to act professionally.
          I disagree. There is nothing wrong with Jelsofts customer service and they appear a perfectly professional company to me.

          What is a problem is the shockingly slow development time.
          Motorsport Forums

          Comment


          • #6
            We all completely agree that this has taken too long and this wont happen again with all of our future projects.

            A more precise documentation and timeline will be used rather than the current unorganised system.
            Scott MacVicar

            My Blog | Twitter

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Mark Hewitt
              I disagree. There is nothing wrong with Jelsofts customer service and they appear a perfectly professional company to me.

              What is a problem is the shockingly slow development time.
              By customer service I wasn't implying that how they handle their customers is wrong, far be it, they have an excellent support system and all of the staff help out on the forums on a daily basis.

              I mean more to the side of, if a company says they will release their product within a certain time frame, but then put back that time frame by over a year.. that to me, is un-professional.

              Comment


              • #8
                I am not so much frustrated with the length of time as I am with the uncertainty of when it will be out. The developers have implied that they know when it will be out, but have refused to tell us.

                I understand the fact that they do not want to release a date and then get burned by not meeting it. While this may be a concern, I would think there would be ways to get around it. For example, don't make the information right there on the board. Have a special place in the members section where people can choose to view estimated release dates. Before viewing them, though, they must agree to pages and pages of legal jargon about how they understand it's a tentative thing, that they will not discuss it on the boards or with anyone else, and that they won't say a word if it is not released by that date, etc etc...

                I know that sounds lame, but I think there should be some way for people to know, as long as there is some way we might have some knowledge of when it is planned to be released.

                If someone flames me for this I will just laugh at them...

                Comment


                • #9
                  As Scott said we agree that this has taken too long and this won't happen again with future projects. Sadly we won't have the ability to travel back in time and change how this was done until vB 6 at the earliest.
                  Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                  Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

                  Steve Machol Photography


                  Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.


                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Steve Machol
                    As Scott said we agree that this has taken too long and this won't happen again with future projects. Sadly we won't have the ability to travel back in time and change how this was done until vB 6 at the earliest.
                    You mean you haven't heard of vTimeMachine?! Where have you been Steve! .

                    Love the avatar Mike , SpongeBob is THE best cartoon sponge!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Steve Machol
                      Sadly we won't have the ability to travel back in time and change how this was done until vB 6 at the earliest.
                      SO,when will vB 6 be released?!?!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        What I find funny is how excited John acts in that thread. He mentions how they've been working so hard on it, etc, but when you look at what was done at that point it doesn't seem that huge. Also, I've heard Scott say a few times in the bug tracking area that he's about to rewrite a certain part of the code. That's only been in the past 2 months. You'd think major code rewrites would have happened before the initial public preview. Or at least 6 months before the final release.
                        Console Racing Review

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Mike Warner
                          I know the devs are working hard on this, but could they have kept the work undercover a bit longer?
                          Last year, people here are demanding an update on vB3 almost everyday, and when the Jelsoft people gave it, they are still not satisfied and demand that they release a beta asap .... Jelsoft gave in, but still people are not contented and further demand that they release RC1 or the new style or even the final version be released as soon as possible...

                          It's just a case of Bart Simpson's "Are we there yet? Are we there yet?" on our part... we demand early updates during the alpha stages, and when we are given that information, we then complain why they released that info so prematurely...
                          Last edited by Tolitz; Sat 25th Oct '03, 5:09pm.
                          OPEN TECH SUPPORT
                          "Tech is our middle name!"

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Tolitz
                            Last year...
                            That's the problem right there though...

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Tolitz
                              Last year, people here are demanding an update on vB3 almost everyday, and when the Jelsoft people gave it, they are still not satisfied and demand that they release a beta asap .... Jelsoft gave in, but still people are not contented and further demand that they release RC1 or the new style or even the final version be released as soon as possible...
                              I would say that much of the problem was that only the latest two betas were really betas -- in fact, without the new style, even that's pushing it.

                              An alpha version doesn't have all the features implemented that the final version will have; a beta version is an untested but complete application.

                              And I really think that the new style should be released before RC1 -- by not doing that Jelsoft's basically asking that there be an RC2, as style bugs are almost ensured.

                              Comment

                              widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X