Anyone have Verizon DSL?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone have Verizon DSL?

Does anyone have Residential Verizon DSL? I'm getting it Wednesday. I have cable right now and am going to try DSL for a month.

How is it for you?

I have had it since March 2002 and not had any major problems. It has gone down twice but is usually up fairly quickly (within a day). Usually run 3 computers on it full time and there is no slow downs.

Don't have cable internet access in my area since the cable service is provided by Adelphia and they went bankrupt and their CEO thrown in jail before they could finish upgrading their systems.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
    Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

I've had Verizon DSL since September 2001. I've never had any problems. There's an occasional lapse in service due to IP address change (always seems to do it when I'm in the middle of something important - but it only happens about once a month -- sometimes I have the same IP address for months at a time). But other than that, I've never had any problems.

I have the 1.5/128 line -- only pay $29.95/month. And when I first got DSL, it was $59.95/month - $30 price drop... not bad

Comment

See now I am upset... I pay $34.95 and only had a price drop of $24.95. Actually, I am not that upset because they dropped the price of our other phone services as well. So now I only pay $110 a month instead of $170.

Wayne Luke

Comment

LOL

I think its because I have it all bundled with my LD and Local services -- I have the unlimited long distance plan.

I changed to unlimited about 2 months ago, my phone bill only changed a couple bucks. But I now have unlimited long distance - as before I was paying about $110/month - which varied from month to month based on how much I talked to my dear mother on the phone - now I pay $110 or so, and now I can talk to my mom forever (well... not really... I don't talk that much), and my bill stays the same each month.

My business line is slightly different, as I don't have DSL attached to it, so I only pay the $59.95 for unlimited local/long distance.

Comment

I have Sprint, but it costs a bit more because its SDSL almost.

My friends with Verizon are all happy, they never complain about it being down and such.

http://i.ksilebo.com/ksicom_button.png
            http://i.ksilebo.com/simpli_button.png

Comment

I had Comcast Cable, up until a few months ago when I moved. I had problems with many, many outages (days or weeks long), especially when they were converting from the old @Home network. Also, I always noticed slowdowns in the evening due to increased traffic from my neighbors. I didn't qualify for DSL so I was stuck.

Now that I've moved into a high-rise apartment building in center city, I signed up for DSL service. It's the 1.5M/128k speed, and downloads are typically faster now with my DSL then cable was, with no slowdowns during peak times. Upload speed is about the same. But I'm much happier overall with DSL, and it's much cheaper too (I was paying Comcast close to $50 month for cable, my DSL is about $30 or so).

Comment

What's everyoens ping times? (in general).

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Schreiber
                  I had Comcast Cable, up until a few months ago when I moved. I had problems with many, many outages (days or weeks long), especially when they were converting from the old @Home network. Also, I always noticed slowdowns in the evening due to increased traffic from my neighbors. I didn't qualify for DSL so I was stuck.

Now that I've moved into a high-rise apartment building in center city, I signed up for DSL service. It's the 1.5M/128k speed, and downloads are typically faster now with my DSL then cable was, with no slowdowns during peak times. Upload speed is about the same. But I'm much happier overall with DSL, and it's much cheaper too (I was paying Comcast close to $50 month for cable, my DSL is about $30 or so).
                  Really, Comcast had @Home conversion problems? I'm on Cox, and IIRC they were incredibly fast at getting services back up and running.
                  "63,000 bugs in the code, 63,000 bugs, you get 1 whacked with a service pack, now there's 63,005 bugs in the code."
                  "Before you critisize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you critisize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."
                  Utopia Software - Current Software: Utopia News Pro (news management system)

Comment

I've used Attbi/Comcast for 3 years now, never had any problems with it being out for days.

3 days ago it was out for about 1 hour since there was some planned network matinence.

Comment

my work has verizon business DSL...for some reason DNS for one of our domains isn't propagating so I'm wondering what's going on.
                      ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                      Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

I am using Verizon DSL and it is capped at 75kb/sec.
                        My friend who lives 2 miles away is getting 250kb/sec on his cable.

Comment

Don't Get Verizon Dsl

i've had it for a month. EVERY single night it goes out between 7-and 10PM when it's inundated with users. I can't get online between those hours. It sucks bigtime and I oredered Earthlink. I'm going back to cable when my 90 days are up so I can get the discount. It's the worse experience I've ever had. I had Verizon wireless phones (3 of them) and they didn't work for crap either. How do they stay in business

Comment

Originally posted by shorty56150
                            i've had it for a month. EVERY single night it goes out between 7-and 10PM when it's inundated with users. I can't get online between those hours. It sucks bigtime and I oredered Earthlink. I'm going back to cable when my 90 days are up so I can get the discount. It's the worse experience I've ever had. I had Verizon wireless phones (3 of them) and they didn't work for crap either. How do they stay in business
                            Do you have wireless networking in your home? Do your neighbors use 2.4 GHZ wireless phones?

DSL is a direct connection unlike Cable. With cable an entire street shares a node. With DSL each house has its own connection to the switch, just like the phone lines. Unless you are on a party line, the traffic of your neighbors shouldn't effect you.

Frequency overlapp on Wireless Networking will.

Wayne Luke

Comment

I had Comcast Broadband, and it was horrible. It was down 40% of the time, and Comcast's customer support is much worse and less productive than repeatedly running head first into a brick wall. Needless to say, I switched but I don't have DSL. I have the fiber optic service with Verizon. It's fast, and Verizon is a lot better with their customers than Comcast is.

Comment

Working...
                              X