AMD Athlon 64

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Athlon 64

Anyone drooling over the new 64bit Processers for desktops?
    ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
    Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Originally posted by ManagerJosh
    Anyone drooling over the new 64bit Processers for desktops?
    Everyone I know is. Except Intel. They seem a little annoyed. lol
    Computer Help Forum
    An informed rider makes their first destination the motorcycle forum at rider info.

Comment

As soon as the nForce boards come out for them, and see how well they do, I'll be all over it.

EDIT: Hey, they're out. The Gigabyte one that I want is $200, the proc itself is $400, and I bet the RAM is around $100. $700 to boost my computer quite high.
      Last edited by Ksilebo; Wed 15 Oct '03, 1:30pm. Reason: Added stuff...

http://i.ksilebo.com/ksicom_button.png
      http://i.ksilebo.com/simpli_button.png

Comment

Originally posted by Ksilebo
        As soon as the nForce boards come out for them, and see how well they do, I'll be all over it.

EDIT: Hey, they're out. The Gigabyte one that I want is $200, the proc itself is $400, and I bet the RAM is around $100. $700 to boost my computer quite high.
        You'd need a new motherboard as well, wouldn't you?

Possibly new RAM also.
        "63,000 bugs in the code, 63,000 bugs, you get 1 whacked with a service pack, now there's 63,005 bugs in the code."
        "Before you critisize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you critisize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."
        Utopia Software - Current Software: Utopia News Pro (news management system)

Comment

its using DDR memory at last check.
          ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
          Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by ManagerJosh
            its using DDR memory at last check.
            Pairs registered DDR for the socket 940 Athlon 64 FX, only the standard Athlon 64 supports (normal) unregistered DDR.

Registered DDR is more expensive and slower than unregistered DDR, so yes adopting A64FX requires you to replace your RAM.

Oh and the NForce3 boards are slower than boards based on VIA K8T800.
            Last edited by dabean; Fri 17 Oct '03, 9:19am.

Comment

I'd rather shove bamboo shoots up my fingernails than use another crappy VIA chipset.

Comment

I am drooling over the Intel P4 Extreme Edition (a.k.a. Intel Xeon MP "Galatin" Processor). The sites that used 40+ benchmarks show the Xeon... uh... P4 EE beating the Althon-FX in many of them.

Comment

Can you please specify why a VIA-chipset is "crappy"?
                  Last time a VIA-chipset was Crappy was KT133, since then there has been KT133A, KT266, KT266A, KT333, KT400, KT600 and now KT800.

All has been real good. Its like saying that nForce2 chipsets where bad because nForce sucked.

I have build about 5 computers with nForce2, not because they are better then VIA but because they where a bit faster in dual-ddr. nForce2 had still alot of child deases when it was new but most of them are fixed.

About the A64 chipset there is only on thing to say, they will have the same performance. A large part of the northbridge is moved to the CPU, and therefor the diffrent chipsets wont have big diffrenses. What you should look for is what you get (features) for what money instead of chipset.
                  As dabean said the nforce3 wont be faster then the via, because now they play by the same rules, and VIA is the better one i would said, more experince, better value.

I wont debate the Intel vs AMD, but i can say that i like them both. Last night i read a test of A64 XP3200+ vs P4 3.2Ghz, and i can say that it was pretty even in all tests, 1% here or there isnt a big diffrense, the only thing that P4 had a big advantage over was the memory speed, but its not the same to use a syntetic benchmarktool as use it in the real world and therefor the other test where pretty even.

The intressting here i would say was that A64 3200+ is running on 2.0Ghz and a P4 3.2Ghz, it tells me alot. The experience that i have about heat is that a 2.0Ghz AMD is pretty cool, even with cheap cooling i had a 2.0Ghz Barton (XP2500+) running on less then 40 degrees.

Well that was my losy $0.02

Btw, back to the topic! Yes im drooling!

Comment

Every single VIA chipset I have ever used was an unstable crappy mess.

Comment

Originally posted by Meltingfire
                      About the A64 chipset there is only on thing to say, they will have the same performance. A large part of the northbridge is moved to the CPU, and therefor the diffrent chipsets wont have big diffrenses. What you should look for is what you get (features) for what money instead of chipset.
                      As dabean said the nforce3 wont be faster then the via, because now they play by the same rules, and VIA is the better one i would said, more experince, better value.
                      NVidia implemented a slower varient of hypertransport in nForce3 than VIA did in K8T800, so actually the nForce boards do perform significantly slower. The nForce3 implementation is effectly half speed Hypertransport so is limited to 3.2GB/s whilst the full speed implementation by VIA is capable of 6.4GB/s. other than that nForce 3 150 is actually missing one of the key elements of nForce2, no soundstorm.

Comment

Originally posted by dabean
                        NVidia implemented a slower varient of hypertransport in nForce3 than VIA did in K8T800, so actually the nForce boards do perform significantly slower. The nForce3 implementation is effectly half speed Hypertransport so is limited to 3.2GB/s whilst the full speed implementation by VIA is capable of 6.4GB/s. other than that nForce 3 150 is actually missing one of the key elements of nForce2, no soundstorm.
                        Well that really sucks, i didnt know that they used a slower hypertransport, only that they were slower. Its also bad that they dont have Soundstorm.
                        How is it with the 150 Pro and 250, will they have the faster hypertransport and soundstorm?

Well what im currently waiting for is to get my hands on a A64 XP3200+ on a Asus K8V Deluxe with a Asus 9800 XT )

Comment

nForce3 150 Pro is just a socket 940 (Athlon 64FX/Opteron 1xx) version.
                          nForce3 250 is basically a 150 but with integrated SATA support (Socket 754).
                          nForce3 250gb is a 250 with Gigabit Ethernet built-in (Socket 754), possibly canceled??.
                          nForce3 250 Pro, socket 940 version of the 250gb, rumored to be the replacement for the 250gb.

Current nForce3 150 mainboard's use seperate components to provide SATA and Gigabit Ethernet support.

Comment

Originally posted by Ksilebo
                            I'd rather shove bamboo shoots up my fingernails than use another crappy VIA chipset.
                            This one's actually quite good from what I hear.

Comment

Originally posted by Marco
                              This one's actually quite good from what I hear.
                              :P I'll stick to my nForce chipsets thank you.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X