Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rasbelin
    replied
    I agree with you, Andy Z. There was so frequently such cases back on the old AoE2.com forums, that I had often trouble understand and interpeting the posts of these mostly American teens that were of ages 12-16 and didn't pay attention to how they wrote messages. Missing dots are so common and especially mixing several sentences into one is also much used. Especially as I was supposed to be moderating the forum for PC assistance and also giving advices, I usually had to spend the first message to ask for clarifying details about the issue which after all turned out to be very basic. Also many OTF discussions were often very mixed. It's not like I don't understand written or spoken American English in general as a non English speaking person, but what buggers me is that people don't use wits when writing their messages. Spoken language can't always be used as written when trying explain factual issues, dammit. Grrr.

Leave a comment:

• ehjay
    replied
    Originally posted by Arkham
    "Small note: I've found that most forums seem to have a Grammar Nazi. Just an observation."

hah, i was waiting for that. i'm anti-capitalization. so.. yeah.

Leave a comment:

• Kathy
    replied
    Originally posted by Arkham
    "Small note: I've found that most forums seem to have a Grammar Nazi. Just an observation."

Applause.

Thanks also for the history lesson on the "leet speak" as I had no idea where the un-readable text came from.

Leave a comment:

• Arkham
    replied
    Originally posted by ehjay
    small note: i've found that most forums seem to have a grammar nazi. just an observation.

Leave a comment:

• Marco
    replied
    I have this in my board rules:
    PLEASE KEEP YOUR POSTS READABLE!
    First off, let me stress that I DON'T expect people to use perfect spelling and grammar.
    However, I do believe it's not too much to ask of people to at least TRY and type things correctly, and make their posts actually readable.
    It's not fun to sift through posts like "hahahah rofl u r right m8!!!1".
    There is nothing wrong with captalizing certain letters, and no one ever died from using commas and dots. There is also no reason why someone would type "u" instead of "you", or "r" instead of "are". Trust me on this one. Also, there is something called "paragraphs". Use them.
    Using your brain every once in a while doesn't hurt... and if it does, then it's probably already too late for you.
    People do seem to take notice

Leave a comment:

• UHN_ED
    replied
    Originally posted by thefluke
    7h15 15 l337 5p34|<.
    This is leet speak. (elite)

Apparently it was developed on usenet sometime agoamong the "elite" users. It somehow filtered down to the kids, and now it's used to get around in place censors on boards and be generally annoying to people over 12 years old.

http://jargon.watson-net.com/section...eet-speak.html
    It was actually developed on usenet to avoid filters. It had nothing to do with being "elite". It actually held a "practical" purpose (as practical as something done to avoid swear filters can be).

Now it is used just to look cool to other 12 year olds.

Leave a comment:

• thefluke
    replied
    7h15 15 l337 5p34|<.
    This is leet speak. (elite)

Apparently it was developed on usenet sometime agoamong the "elite" users. It somehow filtered down to the kids, and now it's used to get around in place censors on boards and be generally annoying to people over 12 years old.

http://jargon.watson-net.com/section...eet-speak.html
    Last edited by thefluke; Wed 15 Oct '03, 5:39am.

Leave a comment:

• Blue Wings
    replied
    I'm a non-english speaker and i have problems with my grammar, but i really don't mind as long as i can express what inside my mind.

ANyone wanna explain what's this elite speaking/typing, or whatever.

Leave a comment:

• Kathy
    replied
    I don't mind the non-english speakers posts either.

I have no clue what l33t words are...what are they? I've seen plenty of words mixing numbers and letters that I can't read. Its like a secret code of puberty.

Can you explain that one for me?

Leave a comment:

• Blue Wings
    replied
    In one forum that i go to, catering to teeners and they are usually using l33t words.....makes me wonder what's the elite thing in there????

Leave a comment:

• Andy Z
    replied
    I am 15, and I find it annoying. I'm not talking about grammatically incorrect posts from non-native English speakers. I am talking about the lazy people about my age, who understand perfectly well the rules of grammar, or at least the basic ones, but choose to just be lazy and make it hard for others to read. They get it from AOL and instant messaging, but is it so much harder to spend another 5 to 15 seconds to spell it all out so it is at least devoid of numbers and non-standard abbreviations.

Leave a comment:

• ehjay
    replied
    small note: i've found that most forums seem to have a grammar nazi. just an observation.

Leave a comment:

• 0ptima
    replied
    I cant stand l33tness and would not tolorate any of it on my forum.

Leave a comment:

• merk
    replied
    Originally posted by Kathy
    But I can assure you that as I mentioned before that I am almost offended by the use of english in the murderous way many teens portray themselves in posts on the forums I visit. They *appear* to be uneducated and probably aren't. They *appear* to be flakey and unable to be articulate in the written language.
    Sometimes i might come across as someone who didnt do too well in english classes, it is true though

I dont write in any shorthand version of english, but some shortcuts are reasonable, and i cant see the reason for letting some of it pass. But then i also agree that it would depend on your audience. And the topic of your forums would be important too.

Leave a comment:

• dynamite
    replied
    Disruptive Posting
    Posts that disrupt the message boards for other users, intentional or not, are prohibited. This includes, but is not limited, to:
    • Message posts or topic titles that force browsers to scroll horizontally
    • Large blank or content-free posts
    • "Bumping" multiple older topics (posting in them well after the last post)
    • Posting multiple identical or near-identical messages or topics, including "fad" topics
    • Intentionally hard-to-read topic titles (i.e. ALL CAPS, AlTeRnAtE cApS, no spaces, no or excessive punctuation, 1337 speak, et cetera)
    • Posting multiple hard-to-read or nonsensical messages in a single or multiple topics
    • Posting large ASCII art
    • Post counting (i.e. "First", "100th Post")

I have this on my site, but since it deals with video games the average user is younger, so if I tried to enforce it I probably would have any members. But to be honest, it is very irritating.

Leave a comment: