hopefully someone will reply!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hopefully someone will reply!!

ok let me try this yet another time i have asked and asked and asked. I am not sure what is so hard about this Question but noone will reply and help me get any answer!

here goes again!!!
    i keep up a medium sized info forum which is now on its own server. All software is up to date and every security measures we can take with out going overboard or over extending our budget has been taken into account.

Now heres the problem our site as well as a large number within the community that caters to the same info that we do have come to find our email lists flying all over the net.
    example we encountered some meathead trying to sell us the idea that he could get any email list he wanted from any vb site that we wanted a list from. well of course being the person i am i was like **cough** BS. cant get em
    well needless to say this guy within 5 mins presented us with a email list of our very own forum not only containing the newest member but every member we had on our forum at that time. this list included members that normally dont show when u generate a list. I do mean at the time all 6000+ members we had. this was the first time it happened that i know of and was while we were using i believe 2.29. this is when i started asking how this could be done and prevented.

now a few months later i have updated the forum all the way up to beta 7.
    the site has never been as secure as it now and still it has happened again and again.

Am i missing something?

For me and our members this is a huge Issue.

IS there anybody out there that will take a swing at this Hit or Miss?
    I am just trying figure out a way to protect our site as well as pass along the info to others in our communtiy to also protect their sites as well.

IF anybody cares to jump in here and maybe give me some thoughts on this PLEASE !!!!

thanks ~G~

Frankly it sounds like this person has access to your database. I seriously doubt he could provide you with a list of members from this forum or any other vB forum as he claims.

If I were you I'd report this to your web host. I'd also ask them to change your server password, and if you have phpMyAdmin, make sure it is password-protected, and if it is change the password. Needless to say password-protect your vB Admin and Mod CP directories (or change thise passwords) and change all the passwords of your Admins and Mods as well.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
    Working...
    X