Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Celeron or Pentium?

Hiya,

I am looking at two different computers for a server, and was wondering just how noticable the difference would be on mainly forums sites:

2.3 GHz Celeron with 400 FSB / 128 Cache
    == or ==
    2.4 GHz Pentium 4 with 400 FSB / 512 Cache

The both have the same amount or ram, same hard drives, etc, so this is the only noticable difference.

The the pentium 4 worth an extra $40 per month, or would the celeron be acceptable?

Thanks for any help

Oh, and can I just add that I think it is really dumb to have to pay a monthly fee for more powerful hardware, rather than just a set up fee! Especially on dedicated servers....

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by InSite
      Oh, and can I just add that I think it is really dumb to have to pay a monthly fee for more powerful hardware, rather than just a set up fee! Especially on dedicated servers....

Thanks
      I had the same thought too.

If you have the cash I would definately go with the pentium. It also depends on what your going to use the server for. Do you run a large site or a bunch of smaller sites? Are you just going to be running vBulletin? You could get by with the celeron if your forums and site arn't exactly booming.
      Trent Gillespie Mod Theater Gillespie Photography

Comment

My site was on a one gig cellery for the longest time. Man those were the days. No 4 server setup to load balance and replicate mysql. Much easier to maintain. Once the site started to get more than 60 online at a time it would slow way down.
        If the site doesn't get more than 60 or 70 users online at one time go with the cellery. You can always upgrade later.
        Admins Zone - Resources for Forum Administrators

Comment

Sounds kinda expensive for this upgrade, who are you plaing on hosting with?
          Bike Forums.net

Comment

Always go for the best hardware you can afford. Plan for the future. Celerons do not make good servers for high traffic sites.

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys

I have been recommended to another host which seems to be a lot more affordable. The quotes above were from Ventures Online.

I already have a dedicated server elsewhere, but it is unmanaged and unsupported to a large degree, and I think I'm slowly ruining it! So support was a big thing for me, as I am now looking to resell some space to a few friends.

Anyways - thanks for the help...

Comment

Ventures Online are very very good quality hosting however. You won't find many dedicated hosts better than them.

And yeah, get a pentium if you can afford it, the celery processors struggle a bit once things heat up (in terms of load).
                http://www.platinum-central.com
                http://www.netforge.com.au

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X