Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Database-powered Content Management Systems

Hi there,

A friend of mine runs a rather substantial fan-site for a science fiction show which he currently maintains manually. He asked me if I know of any good out-of-the-box database Content Management Systems I could recommend. Frankly, I'm not all the familiar in this area, so I thought I would pass the question along to you folks.

What experiences to do you have with CMS? What should be avoided, what database structure do you recommend (ASP, SQL, etc.), what has worked for you?

Thanks for your time!

- Steve

I've ran a small CMS, phpnuke . It's very configurable. phpnuke has had multiple vulnerabilities in it's history (not that tha should be the issue with it's current, but it always springs to mind). I'd say that quite a few peoples phpnukes get attacked due to being poorly configured. It would achieve everything that is needed within a CMS (news etc).

Also, checkout postnuke

Also, check out Edge, don't know many details about it, i've only seen it running at www.neworder.box.sk, apart from on the edge website.
    Computer Networking Forums
    www.unlocked-networks.com

Comment

www.subdreamer.com Launching October 20th. Full vBulletin integration!

Comment

* Check my sig *

UberArticles will be a article, gallery, download, faq, etc etc system. That's content managment though you might be refering to WEBSITE management... Two different things...

Comment

There's a ton out there, the best thing to do is look around and see what fits you best. Check out www.hotscripts.com under the PHP section...there's a ton there. Look in Content Management, Portals, and News Publishing.

On a side note, I was looking for a replacement for my current CMS last week, and I ran across a site (accidentally), and it seems to be a very nice piece of software (as the old saying goes, you always find something you're never looking for). If you want to check it out, it's at www.edit-x.com. It's a little buggy, and not very well known, but it's very nice.

Comment

Originally posted by subduck
            www.subdreamer.com Launching October 20th. Full vBulletin integration!
            It's not going to be another *Nuke look-alike, is it?

Comment

Originally posted by PBChannel
              It's not going to be another *Nuke look-alike, is it?
              I created a huge thread about it, but it was just deleted.
              It's nothing like Nuke.

Just check www.subdreamer.com, it's powered by Subdreamer

Comment

Here is mine . Storyteller CMS - http://www.esselbach.com also with vBulletin integration and already available

If you prefer an open source solution:
                PHPWebSite http://phpwebsite.appstate.edu/ is pretty nice for small/medium websites.
                Contentteller Community Forums

Comment

Philipp & subduck. How are your templating systems setup? Would one have to spend hours editing hard coded templates or do you have a templating system built? One large turn off for a lot of people when using CMS is the inability to customize the look.
                  Trent Gillespie Mod Theater Gillespie Photography

Comment

Mine works like winamp 3 (where every skin can be completely different).

You download new skins, and install them in seconds.
                    Switching to these new skins takes less than a minute.

For example both these sites are running Subdreamer, yet there is no resemblance whatsoever:

http://www.subdreamer.com
                    http://www.subduck.com

I will create some more sites with Subdreamer today to list more examples (and show of the skins ).
                    Last edited by subduck; Tue 7th Oct '03, 10:54am.

Comment

Originally posted by subduck
                      Mine works like winamp 3
                      in other words its gonna crash on you

l8er
                      sonic

Comment

Originally posted by tgillespie
                        Would one have to spend hours editing hard coded templates or do you have a templating system built? One large turn off for a lot of people when using CMS is the inability to customize the look.
                        The template manager comes with a search and replace function. Also, version 1.4 (planned for later this week) includes a template style wizard.

Comment

Originally posted by sonic3d
                          in other words its gonna crash on you

l8er
                          sonic
                          lol

Winamp 3 does crash a lot. Which is too bad because their skins are awesome.

Comment

Is there any way that this can work with the rest of a website? If not, is there anything out there that will allow me to have members of my site create new HTML pages through their web browser - and upload them? Or - just edit pages?
                            My vBulletin Forums:
                            cadillac, buick, pontiac, oldsmobile, automotive, freestyle, 80s, lexus, bmw, mercedes, audi, toyota, honda, acura, nissan, infiniti, hyundai genesis, chevy

...can't fit any more...

Comment

Originally posted by Sal Collaziano
                              Is there any way that this can work with the rest of a website?
                              Yes, this is possible. You can customize the entire look and feel through the templates to fit in your website.

Comment

Working...
                              X