IE Standards Plugin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IE Standards Plugin?

Does anyone know where I can find a plugin that fixes IE's broken webstandards support? I searched the net with google but couldn't find anything. I went through download.com and could find a plugin for everything but that.

I know one! Mozilla!

Comment

How dare you call Mozilla an IE plugin! Thats a discrace!

Comment

I already use Mozilla Firebird 0.6.1. I want to find a plugin that makes IE render webpages with full standards support so I can tell my viewers to install it so I can stop having to bother make my stylesheets look acceptable in IE while maintaining webstandards. It is a huge pain...

Comment

Such a thing does not exist.

Comment

Does anyone know if Mozilla will ever support table border colours? Is this an IE web standards issue? Often I can't tell if the Mozilla team are working towards implementing these IE only features or deliberately moving in the other direction because they aren't standard to begin with.

I've been looking at the cross-browser compatibility of my pages and it got me thinking.

Comment

Mozilla supports borders on tables just fine when implemented in a standards compliant way i.e. through CSS.

I doubt Mozilla will implement IE-proprietary tags and attributes when there is no need to.
              Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
              The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Right, I see. I didn't know that particular tag was an MS creation. I found this on a CSS info site...

bordercolorThis attribute, supported by Internet Explorer 4 and Netscape 4, is used to set the border color for a table. The attribute should be used only with a positive value for the border attribute. The value of the attribute can be either a named color, such as green, or a color specified in the hexadecimal #RRGGBB format, such as #00FF00. Internet Explorer colors the entire table border, including cell borders; Netscape colors only the outer border of the table.
                So does this mean I won't be able to create those double borders that IE displays?

Comment

Originally posted by Stryker
                  Right, I see. I didn't know that particular tag was an MS creation. I found this on a CSS info site...

So does this mean I won't be able to create those double borders that IE displays?
                  Yes you are able to create those borders, but not with the bordercolor attribute.

For example if you have this:

HTML Code:
                  <table cellspacing="2" cellpadding="2" border="3" bordercolor="#ff0000">
                  <tr>
                   <td>ggg</td>
                   <td>gggg</td>
                  </tr>
                  <tr>
                   <td>gg</td>
                   <td>gggg</td>
                  </tr>
                  </table>
                  You could replicate it with CSS like this:

HTML Code:
                  <style type="text/css">
                  <!--
                  table { border: 3px solid red; }
                  table td { border: 1px solid red; }
                  -->
                  </style>

<table cellspacing="2" cellpadding="2">
                  <tr>
                   <td>ggg</td>
                   <td>gggg</td>
                  </tr>
                  <tr>
                   <td>gg</td>
                   <td>gggg</td>
                  </tr>
                  </table>
                  The latter will work in any decent browser
                  Last edited by Marco; Sat 4 Oct '03, 12:23pm.

Comment

Originally posted by ShiningArcanine
                    I already use Mozilla Firebird 0.6.1. I want to find a plugin that makes IE render webpages with full standards support so I can tell my viewers to install it so I can stop having to bother make my stylesheets look acceptable in IE while maintaining webstandards. It is a huge pain...
                    excuse my for laughing, i know your question was serious

Tell your viewers to use firebird. making such an extension for ie is impossible (if it would not be impossible someone would already have tried this ).
                    That's the end of that!

Comment

Originally posted by ShiningArcanine
                      Does anyone know where I can find a plugin that fixes IE's broken webstandards support? I searched the net with google but couldn't find anything. I went through download.com and could find a plugin for everything but that.
                      *grin*

that's like asking where on microsoft.com to find the patch that makes Windows never crash anymore...
                      or better yet, the patch on ms.com to change Windows XP to be Linux

as said already, just tell 'm to use Firebird or Mozilla. IE will never support (most of) the webstandards...

Comment

Thanks for the help Wayne/Marco. I managed to get it looking the same in both IE and Mozilla using the above code. While I was there I fixed the font sizes - another thing which doesn't translate well between browsers is relative font sizes. If you want consistency you have to use numerical pt sizes instead.

I've been using Mozilla for ages now, but didn't bother trying to fix these things because I thought they were just something you had to put up with.

The only thing I have to change now is my DHTML menu. Hopefully that will be just as simple.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X