Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve Software was hacked!

http://www.ntfs.org/comments.php?catid=3&id=8144

I don't understand. Are they just trying to find the guy who did it or are they actually trying to recover some lost code?

Comment

Just one system got compromised.

And yeah, if you are coding something that is required to be kept secret, you don't link up to the internet and use stuff like windows and outlook ..

Comment

Little known game Half-Life 2
        Little known?

Comment

I saw that for download on a site today, thought it was a bit odd. Kudos to valve though for their security.

Comment

The release of the source probably raises more legal issues than technical. If Value is smart, the would delay the release, and prepare for a nasty opening date.
            Trent Gillespie Mod Theater Gillespie Photography

Comment

Releasing the code of _any_ game is bad, imagine they have a small bug in there server code etc

Might see some DOS attacks against game servers etc.
              Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

This is a huge problem.

It is the full source code, about a month old. There is the full physics engine they licensed, now people have access to that.

Obviously no one is going to release a game based off of HL2 source code, but the physics engine is commonly used and expensive to license.

Now, huge cheats can be developed. Certain things need to be trusted from the clients, so not much is stopping someone from modifying the game and compiling once they get the imges sounds etc from the game. The only way valve can stop this is a big overhaul of the multiplayer code.

CD Keys can be reverse engineered, they will need to re-code that part also.

The game will probably be delayed, since majot parts need to be re-coded so that no one can get an advantage, and so that they can not make cd keys from that code.

Also, if there are any holes that can cause malicious users to gain power on someone's machine then that can be exploited, and it will be found if there are any holes. If valve is a responsible company they will delay the game and search and search and search for any possible holes.

Comment

You can learn more here :
                  http://halflife2.net/forums/showthre...threadid=10692
                  (this thread got more than 230000 page views and 500 replies in one day, using vB2)

And just below, you have this one :
                  http://halflife2.net/forums/showthre...threadid=10591
                  (185000 page views and 1400 replies during the same day)
                  Last edited by Lumina; Fri 3 Oct '03, 1:50am.
                  Lumina, aventurière des mondes fantastiques et petite rédactrice au grand cœur
                  Cœur Lumière - vBulletin-fr
                  Join the vBulletin French community social group!

Comment

Originally posted by UHN_ED
                    It is the full source code, about a month old.
                    They say it is from the 19th of September. That is less than 2 weeks old.
                    Lumina, aventurière des mondes fantastiques et petite rédactrice au grand cœur
                    Cœur Lumière - vBulletin-fr
                    Join the vBulletin French community social group!

Comment

It is a shame.

But, serves them right.

Comment

Originally posted by xiphoid
                        And yeah, if you are coding something that is required to be kept secret, you don't link up to the internet and use stuff like windows and outlook ..
                        heh

Comment

Originally posted by merk
                          It is a shame.

But, serves them right.
                          Remember that next time you get hacked.
                          Sig? What sig?

Comment

I have the lingering doubt that this is real. You just dont allow company secrets to fall into someone elses hands, much less have company vital data on a machine with access to the internet.

http://i.ksilebo.com/ksicom_button.png
                            http://i.ksilebo.com/simpli_button.png

Comment

Originally posted by nemesis01
                              I saw that for download on a site today, thought it was a bit odd. Kudos to valve though for their security.
                              I second that

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X