How much does your site cost you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much does your site cost you?

I was just reading a thread about people advertising on there site to offset the cost of running it and to make money. Anyways, I was shocked with the posts that said they were paying several thousand dollars a month to run there site.

Now I know that my site has almost NO TRAFFIC but its still hard to believe that what I'm paying $9.99/mo for now could end up costing me several thousand a month!

Could someone give me a rundown of why a site would cost that much (hosting specs and cost) and an idea of how big your site has to get before this is really needed!

Also, how much does your site cost to run? (link to please)

Thanks,
    Nathan

$20/month.

I didn't know if you were asking for a link to the host or the site, so I'll provide both.

My Site:
    http://www.wdwinsider.net

My host:
    http://www.100megswebhosting.com
    http://www.wdwforum.net/smallsig.php

Comment

The biggest thing that makes running a large forum cost a lot is bandwidth.

Large sites are using hundreds of GB of bandwidth per month, which really adds up. My host chargest $4/GB, I think, so there's a big portion right there.

Another big item is the server(s) themselves. Most large sites are on one or more dedicated servers. The monthly costs for maintaining these servers are at least a few hundred dollars.
      :)

Comment

It is a plus owning a hosting company -- my vbulleting community costs me nothing additional to run on a day by day basis.

Comment

I pay almost $160 a month for my VPS ... moving to a dedicated server before christmas, which might cost $180 a month ... there are 7 other sites hosted on my server, which help offset the monthly costs...
          OPEN TECH SUPPORT
          "Tech is our middle name!"

Comment

What sort of servers are you running?

Originally posted by Joshs
            It is a plus owning a hosting company -- my vbulleting community costs me nothing additional to run on a day by day basis.
            RussellGreenwood
            http://forums.buffydownunder.com

Comment

Originally posted by Russell
              What sort of servers are you running?
              Pretty much all RedHat Linux 7.4 / 9.0 with cPanel. Are you asking about actual specs?

Comment

$30 per month. This is my bandwidth in kbytes for September - 51,096,869. I guess that would be 51 gig.
                Last edited by Michael2; Thu 2nd Oct '03, 4:12am.
                HBO Forum - Discuss Game of Thrones, True Blood, Big Love, Boardwalk Empire, and more!
                Disney Forums - Disney theme parks, vacation, entertainment, and more!
                iLoveTalk - Our general discussion forum.
                VeggieBoards - The largest and most active vegetarian forum!

Comment

14.99 GBP / Month.
                  Computer Networking Forums
                  www.unlocked-networks.com

Comment

server costs
                    co-location fees
                    support management
                    sysadmin
                    web-developer
                    bandwidth (lots of this stuff)

Yes, I pay a big hunk of money each month. i started on a small 10.00 per month place and as the traffic increased, so did my costs.

We are about to move to a new, larger dedicated server having been on a dedicated server for over 2.5 years. (Dual xeon ---oh yeah!) And yes, many of my own costs other don't have. Why not? I'm not a sysadmin. i'm a gal who thought of an idea and launched a site 5 years ago having no clue how to handle the most complicated part of the hardware. I could do a bit of html. Now, I depend on a sysadmin to handle the server and a webdeveloper to handle the customizations in code and programming for my site.

It costs a hunk of money.... ...and well worth it for my members.
                    Fan Club member for VBulletin Dev and Support Team ;)

Hysterectomy - GirlsGetGoing.com - Fabulous Fifty

I'm frequently asked about the skin designer for my forums. ForumSkin.com

Comment

Renting a dedicated server with rackshack (our intended new platform - we haven't moved over yet, so we're just burning some money here :P)
                      Colocation for our old server

everyone handles support every now & then, and we actually do it for fun
                      development stuff is done by moi whenever i'm up to it

software licenses cost a bunch etc, and we're planning a couple of competitions with proper prizes and things

all in all, it's a nice big black hole in our pockets, but we're having a great time
                      My open eyes see everything, and you see nothing. . .
                      That forum

Comment

What site do you run Kathy?

If you don't want to say could you at least tell me how many members/post you have. Hits a month... etc..

I understand why a dedicated server may cost a few hundered to run. I was just shocked by the few thousand number!

-Nathan

Comment

It costs me a little over $140/month. I'm hosted with a dedicated server under RackShack.net. I think it's worth it.

Comment

ATM:

50ish for VB

when i get a new domain,
                            that'll be around 10

webhosting FREE

Comment

My site has cost around $400 during its existence after vB license fees, hosting, and a domain name. I paid for it initially, but now it's paid by donors (hence the beautiful lack of ads).
                              --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
                              Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
                              vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X