No announcement yet.

Why aren’t the hits updated instantly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why aren’t the hits updated instantly?

Ok, I think this is a feature of the new vbulletin, when people are clicking a thread the hits counter isn't updated immediately. I never understood this feature though. Someone here on this forum said that it saves resources or something; however, for me it doesn't make any sense at all! Obviously, the hits are still stored somewhere in the database so how can that save any resources? For me it looks like that it even takes more resources since there has to be a second hits table that keeps counting the hits...

So what's the purpose of this feature?

Also, I like the new WYSIWYG editor. Does this editor actually work on every OS and (modern) browser? Or do I have to have MS Word or something installed?

thanks

By the way, I just noted that the font drop-down menu is hella slow. When I use the wheel on my mouse in order to scroll down the font list it works fine, but when I click the arrows it is very slow and sometimes doesn't even respond .

[Edit] Sorry about that, but it seems to work perfectly now. However, why can I change the size of the smiles while clicking on it, when the smiley doesn't show the desired size in the thread?
    Last edited by Sijo; Wed 24 Sep '03, 8:52am.

Smilies are images, you can't just increase the size.

The WYSIWYG editor works with IE and Mozilla/Mozilla Firebird. You don't have to have MS word installed or anything, just a recent version of one of those browsers.

Not sure on the hits thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Sijo
      For me it looks like that it even takes more resources since there has to be a second hits table that keeps counting the hits...

Do you even own a vBulletin.

If you are referring to thread views then these are batch updated at intervals set by the administrator. I'm not sure what it is set to here, maybe 1hr.
      Sig? What sig?

Comment

I think this has been discussed before ... the "hits" are not updated real-time to save bandwidth/resources or some such ... instead of the database updating itself for every instance that someone visits the topic, it does it at a specified time ... and I don't know what you don't understand about it - would you like to sweep the floor everytime someone steps on it, or would you like to sweep it once or twice a week?

Anyway, I know that this can be changed in the AdminCP...
        Last edited by Tolitz; Wed 24 Sep '03, 11:45am.
        OPEN TECH SUPPORT
        "Tech is our middle name!"

Comment

you are right, this can be changed... You can select wether it should be updated everytime or you can set a certain time when they'll be updated (scheduled task manager )

on small forums it should not make a difference and you should turn "autom. update everytime a new post/thread is made" to 'on'. But for larger forums this is a very useful feature (reducing serverload).
          That's the end of that!

Comment

Originally posted by Tolitz
            "hits" are not updated real-time to save bandwidth/resources or some such ... instead of the database updating itself for every instance that someone visits the topic, it does it at a specified time
            Yes, I do understand that. Nevertheless, how can it save bandwidth/resources? I mean the page views will still be counted (otherwise it couldn't be updated after a certain time period), so the real question is how can that save resources...I would say that it needs the same resources as before. It probably even needs more space in the Database since there must be two separate columns; one for the page-views that will be shown in the forum and another one that counts the thread hits in real-time...or where does the forum get the thread-views from?

Comment

it actually saves resources.

Doing an update on the thread table constantly as soon as a thread is viewed causes a write to the table, on a large site this could mean a couple of hundred writes a second, this also causes table locking
              Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by Scott MacVicar
                it actually saves resources.

Doing an update on the thread table constantly as soon as a thread is viewed causes a write to the table, on a large site this could mean a couple of hundred writes a second, this also causes table locking
                but where are the views stored before it gets updated? Isn't that done in a database too?

Comment

yep but its a table which we just do writes in to and no selects except when updating and there is no unique index it just inserts the threadid.
                  Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

I've always wondered about how it saves resourcs if it just updates elsewhere, but that makes alot of sense. Thanks
                    TheologyWeb. We debate theology. srsly.

Comment

Best way to think of it.

Large forum has 40,000 threads and say 200 concurrent connections, thats alot of time spent writing and locking a fairly large important table.

The threadviews column will never be that big since there emptied hourly.
                      Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

all right, thanks. Not it makes perfect sense

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X