X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• f-a_org
    replied
    God, RIAA is Dumb

They tried to shut-down the korean P2P program, didn't work...

Leave a comment:

• spiritUNIT004
    replied
    Well now the stupid RIAA have hundreds of people pending and more in trouble. I still not scared at them.I bet this is gonna end like, "File sharing is now legal because this and that.."

For those that have good humor:

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view.php?id=115382

Leave a comment:

• f-a_org
    replied
    Im a cute kid, I'd take my chances in court.

Leave a comment:

• Skinny
    replied
    I tend to think of it as 'try before you buy'

Leave a comment:

• Martz
    replied
    Originally posted by BillaBongUSA
    Well, at what point did they know that they were suing a 12 year old? I mean, when they search for people that are sharing files, all they can initially identify them with is their IP address and such.
    Thats the point of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) - google for it or read my post above, and also other bills and acts recently passed by US Congress. The RIAA (a combination of the 5 biggest music companies) can force ISPs to hand over the personal details about your account based on the IP address they find thats file trading.

Then you get a nice letter from them wanting $150,00 per song so they can recoup lost costs. They drop this to a lower amount, around $2000 if you are a young teen up to $17,000 if you are a student. You either settle out of court by paying this, or they try and throw the book at you for $150,000.

I could say that I have the IP address of someone from the RIAA who has a copy of this post and it's saved on their local computer. I demand $500,000 per instance of this post on everyones computer, and I am going to contact their provider to get the name of the person using the account at that time. If I were a US citizen, I would have that right just as the RIAA does right now.

Leave a comment:

• f-a_org
    replied
    Maybe they need to research before handing out suits so fast

Leave a comment:

• BillaBongUSA
    replied
    Well, at what point did they know that they were suing a 12 year old? I mean, when they search for people that are sharing files, all they can initially identify them with is their IP address and such.

Leave a comment:

• Skinny
    replied
    Hmm, OK, we all know its illegal to be file swapping etc etc... But I think they need to get a tad realistic. Charging a 12 year old for christ sake! Ohh, hang on, she aint gonna have much money..

Obviously, the parents are going to have to fork out. I understand that its illegal and that the RIAA want to clamp down on illegal file sharing, but come on...

I have a feeling their trying to get the message across..

Leave a comment:

• Scott MacVicar
    replied
    I feel the register sums it up best regarding the 12 year old girl.

An honour student thought that paying $29.99 to KaZaA allowed her to distribute thousands of mp3's a day?
    The $29.99 was for the advert free version.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/35/32790.html

@Martz:
    I was comparing the act of copyright infrigement as theft and I dont claim to know any of the jargon regarding this.

I've already acknowledged that the music industry needs to update and that iTunes is a great thing.

I just dont condone the downloading of music just because its free.

Leave a comment:

• Kier
    replied
    Originally posted by ShiningArcanine
    I also heard that if you are really sorry, promise to delete all of the illegal songs and never commit illegal song swapping again, they will let you off the hook.
    The amnesty does not apply to people already served with suits.

Leave a comment:

• WizyWyg
    replied
    Originally posted by centris
    Not sure I fully understand what you are saying, but the RIAA has no jurisdiction outside the US, under the data protection act. sharing data with organisations such as the RIAA would be deemed unlawful as I understand it. As for the Berne Convention LOL, 1928, 1946, 1971!! I doubt if downloading by electronic means is even covered, however you might note that copyright infringement would result under the convention in seizure of the recordings LOL
    DMCA was a sham to begin with. And has come under fire because it actually limits our rights; so I wont go into it. But Berne Convention as with our Copyright Code, is still in effect and I've seen "our" copyright code forced by intellectual property holders, to have people cease and desist their distribution of illegal items or post items/links that are against their copyrights.

In the UK, that same 12 y/o would attend a children’s panel, get a ticking off, and that would be it. As it should be with any child under 14. And what about using the correct terminology in this thread, NO ONE has stolen anything, they did not walk into a shop and take something as the RIAA states in it's argument, they committed copyright infringement - there is a BIG difference. In the states it seems to be around $00000000.
    Fortunately, you have a legal system that does not allow frivolous lawsuits. Remember, America is a SUE First ask questions later nation. We have kids suing other kids here ( StarWars kid )

How can you folks in the US defend this action and the way your kids are being treated, get off your knees and stand up and fight this. There is not one person in this thread that can put their hand on heart and say they have never copied a tape, music from the radio, programme from the TV etc. P2P is simply this generation’s way of doing what you all did as kids.
    It still a crime to distribute items that you do not own legally.

Leave a comment:

• Martz
    replied
    @ Scott:

I understand you represent a company which licenses software, which is a distrubuted form of media just like music.

However, I am worried because you seem to be using language and wording spouted from the PR arms of the RIAA. Copying music is not stealing. Copying Music is covered by copyright law, and someone copying the music breaks civil laws, not criminal laws. You cannot go to prison for copyright infringement. You can if you sell music on which you download, but thats a different kettle of fish. The RIAA haven't managed to invoke the criminal arm of the DMCA because of the problems they are facing just with the basic litigation issues.

Please also bear in mind the majority of people who have so far been extorted of their hard earned money have only shared these files for other people to download. They havent themselves been caught downloading files from artists they may or may not have the original cd (license) to use. So the main issue imo is that the RIAA, through misinformation and overpowering threats of litigation against the entire music industry can force anyone (even you!!!) into signing a contract so you don't have to pay $150,000 which says you will never infridge on copyright again. Of course if you do, then you are breaking the law by being in breach of a legally binding contract, which has criminal repercussions.

However, and please take this as no dig or offensive comment, but it appears you opinion on this has not been made by you or you've just accepted what the RIAA is above all posibillty of doing wrong and must be correct in it's statements. This is the most worrying part - people do not investigate themselves or find out the whole truths.

The vast majority of people who post here respect propriatory software and licenses, as they deal with vB. However the music industry is outdated, and wants to retain and enforce a monopoly of controlled media to consumers. If anything, the RIAAs sloppy actions are effecting the credibility of all licensed and propriatory media based on twisted IP law. The reason these companies exist in the first place is to be middlemen for distrubution - the music industries haven't innovated in so long that technology past them by so fast they couldn't adapt. The means of distrubution is now in the digital age where huge amounts of data can be transfered from one corner of the earth to another with minmal cost. The RIAA would still like you to pretend that this technology doesn't exist, and make you pay for the inflated distrubution costs which have increased over the past 20 years (on CDs alone), whilst (re)production costs have falled.

I'm also not justifying download any media from the 'net. Everything is protected by copyright law if you write it yourself, the RIAA arent any different than a 15 year old kid writting his first songs on a guitar in his bedroom, neither party has more rights.

Yet the RIAA is getting away with removing what is left of America Freedom, and also being helped by people blinded by their propoganda. And I fear the UK is next.

@ Everyone - please open you eyes!

Leave a comment:

• tgillespie
    replied
    In my opinion, it’s all a big joke orchestrated to scare people. They’ve caught some 300 users so far….. out of how many? Millions….. I know of many friends that have uninstalled their p2p programs because they think they’re going to get caught. The RIAA has successfully placed fear among the senseless music swappers and gained a few dollars along the way. For me……. I laugh. I hope the RIAA has fun with their new BMW cars….. and as for the p2p world….. you have only dented it…. and you will never ever tame the beast.

Leave a comment:

• merk
    replied
    Also, another note, i do have music on my machine. It was legally purchased via an online downloadable store.

There have been cds ripped as well, which may be against some form of copyright laws, but eh, i own it.

I have also reserved my right to listen to copyright protected (CCT and the like) cds on my PC and xbox, burning another cd without the CCT.

I didnt want to edit my post, i encountered a bug when trying to edit it.

Leave a comment:

• merk
    replied
    Originally posted by centris
    How can you folks in the US defend this action and the way your kids are being treated, get off your knees and stand up and fight this. There is not one person in this thread that can put their hand on heart and say they have never copied a tape, music from the radio, programme from the TV etc. P2P is simply this generation’s way of doing what you all did as kids.
    Just a few points:
    1. Im not in the US,
    2. I dont have kids, while im also not a kid, im closer to being one than not.
    3. I _can_ put my hand on my heart and say i have not copied a tape or music from the radio.
    4. Your "programme from the tv" statement is irrelevant. It is permitted, and every VHS tape you buy has a tax levied on to it as royality that gets paid to some organisation that splits the money between people/organisations that create copyrighted videos and the like.

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X