RIAA Sues Twelve year old girl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ShiningArcanine
    I also heard that if you are really sorry, promise to delete all of the illegal songs and never commit illegal song swapping again, they will let you off the hook.
    The amnesty does not apply to people already served with suits.

Comment

I feel the register sums it up best regarding the 12 year old girl.

An honour student thought that paying $29.99 to KaZaA allowed her to distribute thousands of mp3's a day?
      The $29.99 was for the advert free version.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/35/32790.html

@Martz:
      I was comparing the act of copyright infrigement as theft and I dont claim to know any of the jargon regarding this.

I've already acknowledged that the music industry needs to update and that iTunes is a great thing.

I just dont condone the downloading of music just because its free.
      Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

Hmm, OK, we all know its illegal to be file swapping etc etc... But I think they need to get a tad realistic. Charging a 12 year old for christ sake! Ohh, hang on, she aint gonna have much money..

Obviously, the parents are going to have to fork out. I understand that its illegal and that the RIAA want to clamp down on illegal file sharing, but come on...

I have a feeling their trying to get the message across..

Comment

Well, at what point did they know that they were suing a 12 year old? I mean, when they search for people that are sharing files, all they can initially identify them with is their IP address and such.
          http://www.arsegaming.com/dice/index.php/stuff.jpg

Comment

Maybe they need to research before handing out suits so fast

Comment

Originally posted by BillaBongUSA
              Well, at what point did they know that they were suing a 12 year old? I mean, when they search for people that are sharing files, all they can initially identify them with is their IP address and such.
              Thats the point of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) - google for it or read my post above, and also other bills and acts recently passed by US Congress. The RIAA (a combination of the 5 biggest music companies) can force ISPs to hand over the personal details about your account based on the IP address they find thats file trading.

Then you get a nice letter from them wanting $150,00 per song so they can recoup lost costs. They drop this to a lower amount, around $2000 if you are a young teen up to $17,000 if you are a student. You either settle out of court by paying this, or they try and throw the book at you for $150,000.

I could say that I have the IP address of someone from the RIAA who has a copy of this post and it's saved on their local computer. I demand $500,000 per instance of this post on everyones computer, and I am going to contact their provider to get the name of the person using the account at that time. If I were a US citizen, I would have that right just as the RIAA does right now.
              HP DL-380 G6, 2x E5520, 28GB RAM, 4x300GB SAS, VMWare ESXi
              -
              Unreal Tournament : Assault forums - irc://irc.utassault.net:6667 -

Comment

I tend to think of it as 'try before you buy'

Comment

Im a cute kid, I'd take my chances in court.

Comment

Well now the stupid RIAA have hundreds of people pending and more in trouble. I still not scared at them.I bet this is gonna end like, "File sharing is now legal because this and that.."

For those that have good humor:

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view.php?id=115382

Comment

God, RIAA is Dumb

They tried to shut-down the korean P2P program, didn't work...

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X