Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The thread author has made a correct observation about society, but I don't think this problem is specific to America. More and more people are getting away from the old morals and codes of conduct.

I think the main cause of this is increase in population... everything bad in society is at least partially linked to population.

Fear is what compels me not to help my fellow man. People suck now. I only watch out for myself.

Comment

Originally posted by PDT816
      The “our way or the highway” mentality is one that has been used frequently throughout history and is still being implemented by governments today. The US just isn’t one of them – that’s the point Einstein. How you grab it out of thin air that this is a reason other countries hate us for it is absurd and something that you have manufactured in your own mind.
      Funny how it's always "grabbing out of thin air" when an american like you doesn't comprehend it.

$random_american: "I don't understand what he's saying. It must be bull****, grabbed out of thin air."

And you say others make stupid posts.....

Comment

Originally posted by Kriptic
        America as a country gives out more aid to other countries then anyone else in the world...bar none. I'm sure theres a way to throw some negative spin on that.
        no offense but America as a country has taken in more benefit from other countries than its given out aid.
        Chamber of Secrets - The Ultimate Harry Potter Community!

Comment

Originally posted by M1th
          no offense but America as a country has taken in more benefit from other countries than its given out aid.
          Please do elaborate.
          Webmaster / Administrator
          www.MegaGames.com
          www.MGForums.com

Comment

Originally posted by KuraFire
            Funny how it's always "grabbing out of thin air" when an american like you doesn't comprehend it.

$random_american: "I don't understand what he's saying. It must be bull****, grabbed out of thin air."

And you say others make stupid posts.....
            I comprehend it just fine Kura. Well enough to work with governmental agencies, both US and foriegn in a professional capacity at any rate. You only need to defend your argument with facts rather than you opinion and prove me wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Vile
              Please do elaborate.
              Financial and economical benefits (which still flow through the country) from middle eastern counties. Almost half of the population of 'educated' US population is non american, etc etc.
              Chamber of Secrets - The Ultimate Harry Potter Community!

Comment

Originally posted by M1th
                Financial and economical benefits (which still flow through the country) from middle eastern counties. Almost half of the population of 'educated' US population is non american, etc etc.
                Only 11% or 31 million people in the US population (not just citizens) are foriegn born. Try again.
                Last edited by PDT816; Fri 5 Sep '03, 4:31pm.

Comment

I comprehend it just fine Kura. Well enough to work with governmental agencies, both US and foriegn in a professional capacity at any rate. You only need to defend your argument with facts rather than you opinion and prove me wrong.
                  See, the thing is that it really looks more like you came up with stuff out of thin air, rather than us. You name me a country that made such a strong, weighing statement like the USA did, there. Come on, I dare ya. You claim that many other countries have said the same kind of stuff, well let's hear it then. YOU'RE the one not coming up with any facts, boy.

Only 11% or 31 million people in the US population (not just citizens) are foriegn born. Try again.
                  He said _educated_ population...

Comment

Originally posted by Im all to human
                    Don't get me wrong... I wouldn't want to live any other place.

I find myself so often wondering why it is that most of humanity, but especially American society is unable to advance forward from what I would call a barbaric stand point on the proper treatment of human beings.

Every day I see examples of callus disregard for ones fellow man. What happen to people helping one another out of the decency of ones heart? Is it not unreasonable to think that we are all responsible in some way for the downfall of proper treatment of our fellow Americans. None of us can honestly claim to be Innocent of doing some injustice on our fellow man.

Is there simply no time in this fast past society to care about others? It sickens me that the glob of senseless, self motivated, egotistical, jerks of the world are taking over. There is a lack of decency here that shouldn't have been allowed to develop in a society that clams to be so advanced.
                    Okay, you're obviously reacting to something that somebody did that pissed you off. So here's a little perspective.

Every time you think about how backward or indecent this country is, you need to remind yourself that you haven't had even the SLIGHTEST confrontation with "callus disregard for ones fellow man." Sit down and read about the savagery that goes on in the tribes of Africa or in the justice system of many parts of the world. There are still places where a woman will get stoned for being raped; there are still places where there are bodies lying dead in the streets because of factional fighting. There are places where the governments hoard all the food and little kids starve to death, but meanwhile the same leaders use the malnourished babies as propaganda to have the world send (them) more money. There are places in the world right now where hundreds of thousands of people are having to live like animals because food is so scarce -- where reports of cannibalism have been coming out from behind that country's oppressive borders. There are places where adult parents leave their firstborn female babies to die because the state only allows males to receive a higher education within its borders. I won't even bother to go on.

The great overwhelming majority of humanity is made up of decent individuals. But you have GOT to keep it in perspective (and if I were you, I'd be careful about making blanket statements in such non-specific terms that can only demonstrate that you don't really know about what you're talking about.)
                    iComix :: web comics

Report Post | IP: Logged

Comment

Originally posted by KuraFire
                      See, the thing is that it really looks more like you came up with stuff out of thin air, rather than us. You name me a country that made such a strong, weighing statement like the USA did, there. Come on, I dare ya. You claim that many other countries have said the same kind of stuff, well let's hear it then. YOU'RE the one not coming up with any facts, boy.

He said _educated_ population...
                      You guys get information on the enitre world over there or is it just limited to US bashing? I guess Kim's threats of a nuclear arsenal and launching missiles over Japan that land in Alaska don't count as statements in your book.

How about China's efforts to intimidate Taiwan consistantly over the past several years. They just upped the ante by positioning a new airborne unit in the Tawain Straight. I just picked two topics from today's newspaper of agressive statements by foriegn governments that are worse, but the examples are endless.

BTW, the overall US population with a HS diploma or higher is 82.5%. The percentage of foriegn born people in the US is 60%. http://www.census.gov/population/soc...2/tab01-05.pdf
                      Last edited by PDT816; Fri 5 Sep '03, 5:56pm.

Comment

Originally posted by Im all to human
                        I meant that the typical American would not go out of there way to help someone any more.
                        That's the most ignorant sentence in the whole thread. The things you mention go on in every single place in the world, not just here.

Ever heard of charity? Wait, you haven't; typical american's don't help anyone out anymore, after all.

J.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaotic Reality
                          That's the most ignorant sentence in the whole thread. The things you mention go on in every single place in the world, not just here.

Ever heard of charity? Wait, you haven't; typical american's don't help anyone out anymore, after all.

J.

Well put. He's prob basing this on his own feelings and the actions he would take.
                          Webmaster / Administrator
                          www.MegaGames.com
                          www.MGForums.com

Comment

Project Big Bang

After the completion of our Air to Air missile defense system, we should immediatly begin bombing every country that has nuclear missiles or icbms that are capable of reaching our country, then we procede to trample around the world killing anyone we see, after that we pave the entire place and build a giant walmart, costco, starbucks, and mcdonalds and cap off all my precious... i mean those oil wells. Then we change the government to allow the president to kill all people opposed to him, hold the supreme court, the senate, and congress hostage and then we can steal all the diamonds and other raw materials so we can make giant SUVs and stuff.

If we really wanted to, we could do that, but we don't. Do you know why? Because America tries to be good in it's intentions, even if they're the wrong ones, we're not out to get you and steal your oil, we just don't do that.

Good Day.
                            My board: http://forums.psx-dude.net
                            Others: Find it Damn't!, Anime Site.

Comment

It seems the pro-American's are the only members getting aggressive here. This is exactly like every other debate. For instance, how about the long going debate seen on every single forum about religions? In the end it's always the same - no one comes out the victor. But it's always the pro-Christian/American/BushSupporter/etc that continues to string the argument on and on, while getting aggressive.

Getting aggressive doesn't help any. It also only proves weakness on their behalf - unable to talk passively. It's also the same in regards with facts. You blindly disregard facts because they don't agree with your opinions, because you're arrogant.

Personally, I'd like to see Bush burn with America. But I have friends in America that prove to me everyday that not every American is stuck-up. It's the people with power as well as ignorance that tarnish what is good.

Alcar...
                              http://www.oddworldforums.net

Comment

Originally posted by Alcar
                                It seems the pro-American's are the only members getting aggressive here. This is exactly like every other debate. For instance, how about the long going debate seen on every single forum about religions? In the end it's always the same - no one comes out the victor. But it's always the pro-Christian/American/BushSupporter/etc that continues to string the argument on and on, while getting aggressive.

Getting aggressive doesn't help any. It also only proves weakness on their behalf - unable to talk passively. It's also the same in regards with facts. You blindly disregard facts because they don't agree with your opinions, because you're arrogant.

Personally, I'd like to see Bush burn with America. But I have friends in America that prove to me everyday that not every American is stuck-up. It's the people with power as well as ignorance that tarnish what is good.

Alcar...
                                We'll you know how Weak America is.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X