Microsoft delays Longhorn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft delays Longhorn

Microsoft looks to have delayed the release of Longhorn withdrawing a commitment to ship the next version of Windows in 2005.

Longhorn was originally supposed to ship in 2004. In May, this year release was pushed back to 2005. This week Longhorn's availability has been delayed even further, with Microsoft execs declining to say when exactly the operating system might ship, eWeek reports.

Read More
    MCSE, MVP, CCIE
    Microsoft Beta Team

I think that's a good thing. XP is a great OS IMO. I'd rather have them take their time to do as much as they can with Longhorn.
    Console Racing Review

Comment

I actually hate how there are such drastic version changes so far, but I am actually looking forward to Longhorn

Comment

I most likly wont install longhorn on my computer. Just have a bad feeling about it.

Comment

I was told it restricts alot of stuff, but again it is all rumours, I will install it on a computer I have NOTHING on and throw all I can at it,.

Comment

I have a feeling this is going to be like the anti-piracy software of the century.

For the time being, XP/Gentoo are suitable.
            Trent Gillespie Mod Theater Gillespie Photography

Comment

Originally posted by tgillespie
              I have a feeling this is going to be like the anti-piracy software of the century.

Never

Comment

Originally posted by Arunan.S
                I was told it restricts alot of stuff, but again it is all rumours, I will install it on a computer I have NOTHING on and throw all I can at it,.
                unless youre a certified beta tester to test alphas for MS, i wouldnt recommend it, I have been running longhorn on my 2gig xeon server for 6 months, but alpha and early beta OS's can and will permanently damage hardware, it is even written into the code to strip sector 0 and 1 of your harddrive on install and that itself takes 60% off the life of the HD
                MCSE, MVP, CCIE
                Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

Originally posted by Arunan.S
                  The OS is far from completion... So how can any rumors justify themselves as true?

Comment

Originally posted by tgillespie

For the time being, XP/Gentoo are suitable.
                    Thats what I'm worried about to, maybe not the century, but I think its going to be some anti-piracy software. I'm only assuming this because of all the rumors that are flying around.

Comment

I cant wait for the new filesystem. Maybe they can actually get one happening that doesnt need defragging!

Im not worried about the DRM (digital rights management), its going to happen anyway. As long as you have legit software and media who cares.

Comment

So exactly how long is horn gonna take then...hmm

I guess I'll just have to stick with XP for a long time then, I haven't held onto the same OS for a long time, I spent about a year with 3.1 and then 1 1/2 years with Win95 then the same time with Win98 and about 6 months with ME until I got XP and have been using it since December 2001...

Comment

Originally posted by merk
                          Im not worried about the DRM (digital rights management), its going to happen anyway.
                          If it does happen, I'm sure people will crack it some how. Anything that can be done, Can be undone.

Comment

md5 can't be "undone".

Comment

Originally posted by Xelation
                              If it does happen, I'm sure people will crack it some how. Anything that can be done, Can be undone.

Not if it extends all the way through the operating system and its hardware.

Noone has cracked XP-s activation.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X