No announcement yet.

Osx

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The thing is, with all you can make Windows look like OS X--it still won't act like it.

I've stopped even trying to make it look like that and have removed all of those programs that muck around with that type of thing.

I like using Macs,no doubt about it, but the way Windows looks is fine with me. No need in making it look like something it isn't.

Plus, I've not seen anything that even comes close to replicating Mac's dock on the Windows OS.
    | DiscBurn | CD & DVD Replication services, film and VHS to DVD, and duplication equipment
    |
    Disc On Demand | Short-run CD & DVD duplication... all online.

Comment

www.objectdock.com

Comment

Fa_org, where I work we have a lab full of OSX for designing, and print-outputting. They have increased production, and quality by 120%, very nice for having a lan match of Unreal in the spare time hehe.

If its for home, go ahead and get it, but you can save some $$$ by getting another PC, but if you are a hardcore gamer, designer, modeller, archietect, film editor, or want to get into those fields I would suggest a mac, or even a farm of macs if you will be doing them professionally.

Comment

Originally posted by Lacrosse Boy
          The thing is, with all you can make Windows look like OS X--it still won't act like it.

I've stopped even trying to make it look like that and have removed all of those programs that muck around with that type of thing.

I like using Macs,no doubt about it, but the way Windows looks is fine with me. No need in making it look like something it isn't.

Plus, I've not seen anything that even comes close to replicating Mac's dock on the Windows OS.
          Y'zDock did an excellent job of replicating it. It's too bad it was discontinued. I have the last version of it and I still use it.
          "63,000 bugs in the code, 63,000 bugs, you get 1 whacked with a service pack, now there's 63,005 bugs in the code."
          "Before you critisize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you critisize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."
          Utopia Software - Current Software: Utopia News Pro (news management system)

Comment

Originally posted by Arunan.S
            but if you are a hardcore gamer...
            A hardcore gamer is better off on a Mac?!?!?!?!?

Um....no.

Comment

Originally posted by tubedogg
              A hardcore gamer is better off on a Mac?!?!?!?!?

Um....no.
              you speak truly

Comment

Originally posted by rylin
                Quartz offloads a whole bunch of GUI stuff to the GPU instead of the CPU. Eg. you can have heavy (gui) activity without it disturbing the resources available for your software.

Think of the Longhorn desktop engine, except osx and a few years earlier
                OH, so it is a video card driver. I see...

My processor idles at 1% and seldom goes over 18% on my home computer using Linux. My GPU is usually running at 60% utilization and increases from there for games and DVD.
                Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                  OH, so it is a video card driver. I see...

My processor idles at 1% and seldom goes over 18% on my home computer using Linux. My GPU is usually running at 60% utilization and increases from there for games and DVD.
                  Welcome to education time with Russell:

Quartz Extreme: http://www.apple.com/macosx/jaguar/quartzextreme.html - Not a video card driver and won't be "emulated" in any way shape or form by Windows - until Longhorn obviously - but by 2005 (or 2006 now) what will be on the Mac.. hmm, interesting.

OSX:
                  Yes, there's some things which are just plain better and faster on a PC. Internet browsing "used" to be one of them with IE on the mac, but Safari has changed that completely. With the gross exception obviously of the WYSIWYG editor in vB... Safari is amazing for web browsing.
                  As for every day general useage, OSX is just SO SO much less-stressfull than ANY windows machine I have ever used - and don't get me wrong as a crazed mac fanatic - I still do use PC's, just not as often as I used to. Some things are just SO SO SO much easier on a mac. DVD burning, movie editing, photo sorting, music, configuring things, fixing problems. 99% of the problems I've had with my mac have been fixed by restarting the machine. Never have I had to reinstall the OS. And yes, there are products that do DVD burning, movie editing, photo sorting, music stuff etc.etc. on the PC, but most of the time, the good ones aren't free and don't come with the OS. You turn on a Mac, and you can take photos of your camera, edit some video with them, throw them out onto a DVD and do all that the night you have it - find me a PC user who's done that?

BUT - Macs - without OSX - are just plain ****. I spend all day at uni trying to fix old stupid macs that are running OS9 - those macs, make me want a PC there instead. (So I take my iBook with OSX).

Games - I still don't bother with the mac, infact, I've got more work done since I had my mac then ever before - probably because I can't play Counter-Strike on it Argueably, hurrah, we can play Quake and Unreal - but, still.. don't bother.

There is no way you can make Windows "act" like OSX, it's just not possible. You can put all your little addons on to windows you can put a third part dock, you can change your startbar to pinstripes and stick a tin foil apple on the back of your screen - but when it comes down to it, Windows is Windows - and you'll probably only make it less stable by doing all that.

As someone who hasn't used my linux.. I'm not going to pretend to know enough to complain about making it like OSX. You'll probably get closer than you would with windows.

Hmm, ok... possibly everyone should ignore that entire message... ranty much?
                  RussellGreenwood
                  http://forums.buffydownunder.com

Comment

I think OS 9 is more usable than OS X if you know how to use and maintain it. Of course OS 9 sucks in its own respect.

Comment

How so? In my experiences, I have to agree with Russell. There is very little about OS 9 that is better than OS X, and overall I believe that "usability" is higher in X than it is in 9.

Comment

Thanks for the education Russell... Personally, I like the Windows XP Interface 100000000000000% better than anything I have ever seen on a Macintosh. Personal preference. In my opinion, the XP Interface is geared towards working and the Mac interface it geared towards looking cool and playtime. Again personal preference. Granted I haven't used a Mac in three years and really don't foresee ever using one in the future. No advantage to me for the increased costs of the OS.

I wouldn't want to copy the interface of OSX and could not really care less about it. I was just telling others that the look can be replicated on various OSes with little to no trouble.

Wayne Luke
                        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Thanks for the education Russell... Personally, I like the Windows XP Interface 100000000000000% better than anything I have ever seen on a Macintosh. Personal preference. In my opinion, the XP Interface is geared towards working and the Mac interface it geared towards looking cool and playtime. Again personal preference. Granted I haven't used a Mac in three years and really don't foresee ever using one in the future. No advantage to me for the increased costs of the OS.

I wouldn't want to copy the interface of OSX and could not really care less about it. I was just telling others that the look can be replicated on various OSes with little to no trouble.
                          All I have to say is, looks can be deceiving

OS X's interface may look like it's just for "looking cool and playtime", but so does the default WindowsXP theme, IMO. You have to actually use it for a while to actually know how it works.

A lot can change in 3 years, so your last Macintosh experience is probably very different than if you had used a Mac running like the latest developer seed of Panther (10.3)
                          Last edited by MasterMac; Mon 1 Sep '03, 10:13pm.

Comment

Like I said... There is no cost advantage to me to purchase a Macintosh. I can purchase a DUAL Opteron 240 machine (1.8 GHZ CPU's) with a 1.8 GHZ Frontside BUS and 1 Gigabyte of RAM (Motherboard Supports 12 GB) for the price of the Cheapest Macintosh G5. This is through my local supplier but it is costed at retail prices. I can probably do a lot better at Wholesale.

I can't get Macintoshes for that price and cannot get them at wholesale. Nor can I get Macintosh software locally. The local BestBuy used to sell some Mac software but recently removed it. No other computer reseller within a 45 mile radius of my address sells Macintosh Hardware or Software. This adds up to additional costs if something happens.

The chances of my ever caring about Panther are pretty much nil. Saw some screen shots and they were pretty. Didn't make me want to go out and spend $4000 (with monitors and the software that I need) on a entry-level desktop machine. Especially compared to the fact that I can get an Opteron based machine with Server level components for $2000 and already have the software, monitors, scanners, printers, network interfaces, software and everything else I need in place.

Wayne Luke
                            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Totally agree - some of the OSX interface elements are dinky as hell - like the genie minimisation... it's just funny - but works. It's the same sort of enhancement as when you add things to the taskbar in windows, instead of them just clicking to smaller sizes to fit on the screen, the zoooom to the different sizes. It's all just for show.

And have you all SEEN the videos of Longhorn with the wavy window - totally what Quartz can do already
                              RussellGreenwood
                              http://forums.buffydownunder.com

Comment

What videos? Link?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X