Proof of Purchase... Necessary.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proof of Purchase... Necessary.

Anyway, I got someone who is wanting to run their vBulletin forums off of my server. He says he has a real license and I have significant reason to believe him but I have no proof that he is telling the truth. Now, I don't want to install vBulletin on my server unless it's legal. So is there anyway he can prove to me that he really has a "Legal" copy of vBulletin?

Originally posted by Par
    Anyway, I got someone who is wanting to run their vBulletin forums off of my server. He says he has a real license and I have significant reason to believe him but I have no proof that he is telling the truth. Now, I don't want to install vBulletin on my server unless it's legal. So is there anyway he can prove to me that he really has a "Legal" copy of vBulletin?

Have him tell you his L#

Comment

Do you know him personally?

Comment

I'd get his liscence number then send an email to a vBulletin team member and ask them to validate that the liscence is for real.
        Sportstwo.com

Comment

He can request a PDF invoice to be emailed to him through our support system.
          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
          vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
          Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
            He can request a PDF invoice to be emailed to him through our support system.
            And what is to make that PDF somehow unforgeable?

Comment

Originally posted by Par
              if you dont believe him dont host him its as simple as that, why does he have to prove to you that he owns the license.

do you ask everybody that runs a paid for script on your server to prove the validity of their purchase?

like i said dont host him if you think it is illegal, but he really doesnt have to answer to you....

Comment

you can have him sign up here and then PM an admin and have the admin PM you that he is for real.

Comment

I Say host him, then once it's all installed and such, report it to the piracy team. if it is illegal either you or he will get an e-mail. at which time you can remove it without notice.

Comment

Ask him for a screenshot of the members' area.

Comment

Originally posted by Game Wizards
                      Ask him for a screenshot of the members' area.
                      Ditto
                      Running vB since 4-14-2002

Comment

Originally posted by okrogius
                        And what is to make that PDF somehow unforgeable?
                        What is to make currency unforgeable? What about concert tickets? What about store receipts?

When there is a will there will be a way. However an honest person would have no problem with requesting a receipt in the format we provide. PDF is less alterable than HTML or even a graphic screenshot by most people in the world.
                        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                        vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
                        Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X