Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ever been banned or shunned from a bulletin board?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Steve Machol
    HostRocket banned me once from their forums for complaining about their 'service' (or more correctly their lack of service.)

They said the reason was that all support issues should be handled through their support system, but the problem with that was that they never answered my support tickets - even after 4-5 days.
    Sounds like Infinology.

Ya know, I had a downtime problem for like 3-4 weeks right after I signed on with hostrocket, and that was back in January. Since then, my site's been up almost all the time, and I have yet to have a member complain since then. Also, my support tickets have all been answered within 6 hours, no lie.

I guess every host has issues. Hostrocket works fine for me for now, as does VO with another site I manage. Funny thing is, I'm in the market for a low-cost host right now, and I'll probably look elsewhere than HR and VO. We'll see.

Comment

In all fairness my problems with HostRocket were 2 years ago. Hopefully they've improved since then.
      Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol
        HostRocket banned me once from their forums for complaining about their 'service' (or more correctly their lack of service.)

They said the reason was that all support issues should be handled through their support system, but the problem with that was that they never answered my support tickets - even after 4-5 days.
        same problem here, took them 4 days to get back to one of my support tickets

Comment

<< Another member who is very glad to be rid of Host Rocket. Bunch of lying thieves! *

* It's only libel if it's not true

Comment

4 days? Pah. My current host takes that long to even log tickets into their system sometimes!

Thankfully I rarely have problems anymore.

*can't wait for a pocket full o' cash and the contract to end!*

Comment

Yes, banned from the forum I used to co-admin. Not exactly sure why, was never told, but I think it was because I wouldn't cut slack for a certain Sr. member who became a very good *friend* (cough) of the webmaster. She'd routinely flame new members for no reason and run them off. I refused to give her special license to break the guidelines. I guess the webmaster decided his little friend shouldn't be moderated or disciplined, so I was fired and banned with .htaccess. This person was total scum. She said she took her SAR (search and rescue) dog to WTC to look for victims. Had all the forum members calling her a hero, etc. I and a friend found out the dog wasn't even certified for SAR and the whole story was a lie.

I was a member of that forum almost since the beginning, had never had a post removed for a rules violation and had worked on the forum for almost two years, but was banned for this other member. From what I hear, most of the sr members have either left or been banned from that site. Only ones left are members of the webmaster's clique and newbies. Newbies who join and have the wrong opinions are mercilessly attacked until they leave.

I think the best way to avoid this kind of thing happening is to decide what your guidelines are going to be and stick with them. Make them apply to every member uniformly. Don't let any cliques form and don't let Sr. members beat up newbies. Enforce your rules for every single member and don't let your personal feelings about a member influence your decisions. Be honest with your members and treat them with respect. In other words, act like a professional and your forum will reflect that.

Comment

I absolutely despise favoritism.

Comment

Originally posted by Ksilebo
                  I was pissed off at the owner of reiketsu.net, it was a heavily modified ikonboard with a stolen/hacked hostname (I own it now, w00t.) It was a good board, people were happy, the owner and I talked, on the phone, and such. Then he got stupid. He allegedly bought vB. He switched over to YaBB, and got really really stupid and started publically bashing other members, before I got pissed off, I wish I saved the post, it was beautiful. I was banned, I didnt care. A year later, I bought the domain reiketsu.net and will never let it go. Muahahahah....*cough*..sorry.

Yes. It was jsut and fair, because he was picking on someone who couldnt help the situatuon he was in, and it aggrivated me to no end.

Looking for some pieces of my past I came across this. I never knew I had an admirer back in... 2003. Especially not since I killed off that site back in 2001 making this a two year old grudge.

As I recall... you were banned for being a dolt. You were member harvesting like no ones business - trying to drive traffic to your many, many ill fated sites. For the record, I only ran an Ikon for a hot minute before running other software and ultimately dropping out of the bulletin board game. I tried so hard (along with my friend Emon) to buy a vB license but at that point in time it was not meant to be.

Since the rise and fall of RK I started up assassin nation after my friend Sara and her friend Lindy (now one of the clowns that works for Matt and the rest of the Invision team) had a fight and have come to the realization that (after Lindy copied my site just like you did, member harvested just like you did) that I am often imitated but never duplicated. Just ask the new Invision skinning 'guru' James M. For that reason alone I find it very flattering that you would hold on to my old domain name so dearly. Just so you know; I never then, nor do I ever now, intend on ever picking it up again or one like it with a different extension for the simple fact that I would not want you to gain any traffic by indirect association. Once I dump a domain it remains that way for all eternity and I do not ever plan on changing that policy.

Anyway - to contribute to this thread. I have been banned from a few sites such as Futuremark for example. It does not bother me much at all since I just say to myself that these are people who I will, in all likely hood, never meet in real life. I imagine them being these pimply faced jerks that if I ever did meet in the street would do any and everything to make it up to me as they shake in fear. As a matter of fact I did just that to Kevin Perrera of Pointlessaudio.com and Lickmysweaty.com fame.

Comment

It seems you are little attached, since this thread is over a year old. Please don't revive an old thread with a statement that may be construed as inflammatory by the person you are addressing, as I'm sure they've probably moved on.
                    - AJ Zmudosky

Comment

I PLEED THE 5TH!!!!!!! i'd rather not talk about it
                      http://helpmegetamac.net/blackapple.gif MacBook Pro 15.4" Core2Duo 2.33GHz.

Comment

Also this isn't really the place to air your grievances.

Comment

Even though this is an old thread. I am avidly looking for a great forum, with a large member base where I can just hang out and have general discussions. Not too much of a member base but a good one. Any suggestions? Run them my way.

Comment

Mine is fairly large and has some good discussions, but choose whatever you wish, I don't want to shamelessly plug :P.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew111888
                              Mine is fairly large and has some good discussions, but choose whatever you wish, I don't want to shamelessly plug :P.
                              I am requesting plugs Shameless or not.

Or suggestions can be PMed...for sure I will check all suggested ones and join if its good. I will check your website out (if it is the one in your profile)

Comment

Mine's not too quiet but not too busy, and has a lot of general discussions. Some are quite serious, and others are ridiculously silly. there are some forums with no-flaming rules, and others specifically FOR flaming. The only people ever banned are spammers and deliberate disrupters, nobody gets banned for having opinions like on some boards. There's even an arcade.

Oh, it's bright yellow but there's 14 styles including quite a few of Zachery's!
                                It's UK based on an American server, but we have quite a few Canadians, Americans and Ducth people on there

I think as shameless plugs go, that one has a shameless rating of 97%.
                                MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.6.3 Demo
                                AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X