RPC Blaster lookalike fake popups circulating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RPC Blaster lookalike fake popups circulating

Please ignore all RPC shutdown popups you may get on some sites, some kid(s) with nothing better to do are generating popups to force people to shutdown even though theyre not infected.

Here is a screenshot of what the popup looks like, i actually received one myself today around noon EST..
    Attached Files
    MCSE, MVP, CCIE
    Microsoft Beta Team

Could you PN me the url? Want to look at the popup code
    That's the end of that!

Comment

I didnt get the URL at the specific time, (i wasnt home) I have an idea of where it came from, so if i do get it again i will send the URL your way via PM when i get back.

Just heading out to do a quick networking job..
      MCSE, MVP, CCIE
      Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

You would think that Microsoft's default action if the RPC fails would be to pop up a notice box, instead of restarting the computer.

My friend got infected, and I managed to change the handling of errors in the RPC service page in under 10 seconds.
        :)

Comment

I got one of those. When you click on it you get an ad page with every link going to a down load to a "computer cleaner" I didn't down load it so I don't know if it was a virus or not.

Couldn't find a way to close the window with the message on it so I had to resort to crl alt del and close just that window.

Needless to say I had a whole lot of un-postable comments about it.

Comment

My hardware firewall was filled with requests to port 135...and all were blocked.

About that popup...it reminds me of those banners that say "Hate banners?" and such.
            --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
            Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
            vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

Maybe Microsoft will finally implement popup blocking into IE. We can only live in hope.

(Yes, I am using Firebird for anyone that decides to pounce on me saying "Use Firebird", I am also not in Windows )
              FFAddicts: [site|forums]

Comment

Originally posted by ffaBen
                Maybe Microsoft will finally implement popup blocking into IE. We can only live in hope.

(Yes, I am using Firebird for anyone that decides to pounce on me saying "Use Firebird", I am also not in Windows )

There testing it in MSN 8.x first if you can believe it, then it could be a possible feature of IE 7
                MCSE, MVP, CCIE
                Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

/me takes out Google Toolbar 2.0
                  :)

Comment

Oh yeah... this is a lot of fun! I work in an IT department, and did this to some co-workers

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X