Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HyperThreading YES or NO?!

Hi there,

I was wondering whether i should use HyperThreading for a MySQL/PHP based site or not.

I have a Dual XEON 3.06 GHz.

Greets
    :rolleyes: :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: :rolleyes:

Originally posted by marocnl
    Hi there,

I was wondering whether i should use HyperThreading for a MySQL/PHP based site or not.

I have a Dual XEON 3.06 GHz.

Greets
    Yep you should, it's great, it's like doubling the # of processors .

Comment

If ya got it, use it
      TheologyWeb. We debate theology. srsly.

Comment

Hmmm.....i always thought that the software must be made for multithreading in order to get the perfomance-gain from using HyperThreading on the machine.

Bu then again, i'm not the biggest expert on this issue.

Comment

Originally posted by marocnl
          Hmmm.....i always thought that the software must be made for multithreading in order to get the perfomance-gain from using HyperThreading on the machine.

Bu then again, i'm not the biggest expert on this issue.
          try both - you might be suprised
          http://forums.cpfc.org/

Comment

But if the software is not written for two CPUs, why would you use Dual Xeons in the first place? That wouldnt give you anything extra?
            Hyperthreading acts like Dual-CPUs, so you will have "four" CPUs.

Apache (php) uses child-processes (and threads i belive) and therefor it will use the dual-technology. MySQL should also have a Dual-CPU support, check the manual.

And if they dont, you will still gain performance as each program can use its own CPU.

But be aware, some programs using sockets start to act strangly when using a HT-CPUs in Win, but i guess you are using some other OS )

Comment

I will be experimenting with my new HT P4 some time this week. Before I load my usual Winblows, I'm going to experiment with some Linux distros and maybe even try a couple UNIX (meh is teh n00b to UNIX)
              Trent Gillespie Mod Theater Gillespie Photography

Comment

AFAIK, Hyperthreading involves both multi-threading and multi-tasking. Multi-threading is beneficial when applications are written to take advantage of multiple processors or one or more hyperthreading processor(s). Applications not optimized for multi-threading will see little benefit per se from HT. However, there is also multi-tasking - which we all do to some extent - running multiple applications simultaneously (many in the "background"). HT utilizes "idle" processor time to allow the single processor to do more than one thing at a time. Thus, there is a (modest) performance benefit to virtually any system with HT, and the benefit grows significantly with the use of applications written to take advantage of HT (and/or multiple processors).
                The Admin Zone - Resources for Forum Administrators
                Articles - Forum Review
                Interviews:
                KierScottJerryAndreasSteveWayneJakeFlorisLogicianErwin
                Paul M

Comment

If you enable HT, make sure you recompile / reinstall apache/mysql and optimise the build to be compatible with HT.

Im sure there are guides around on the web.

Comment

Originally posted by merk
                    If you enable HT, make sure you recompile / reinstall apache/mysql and optimise the build to be compatible with HT.

Im sure there are guides around on the web.

cPanel installed MySQL, Apache and PHP, so i hope that it compiled it all to use the HT.

Thanx for the answers. I will be readig some more about this subject.

Meltingfire,
                    P.S.: No Win for me.

Comment

basically, it seems as if hyperthreading is a wee bit slower when enabled.
                      that said, it can take a huge beating.. so depending on how much stress you throw at the server, hyperthreading can be a good thing, or a average thing.
                      My open eyes see everything, and you see nothing. . .
                      That forum

Comment

Originally posted by okidoki
                        basically, it seems as if hyperthreading is a wee bit slower when enabled.
                        that said, it can take a huge beating.. so depending on how much stress you throw at the server, hyperthreading can be a good thing, or a average thing.
                        you can brag that you have 4 logical cpus

Comment

Oh really??
                          My open eyes see everything, and you see nothing. . .
                          That forum

Comment

Originally posted by okidoki
                            Oh really??
                            You're so lucky you have the money to get servers like that, now all I could afford is to have a 100Mhz processor with 1MB RAM

Comment

marocnl, I am happy for you. Now you can say you have a 4 CPU server.

Originally posted by N9ne
                              You're so lucky you have the money to get servers like that, now all I could afford is to have a 100Mhz processor with 1MB RAM
                              Uh... 1MB RAM chips were never made to my knowledge but I wasn't into computers back then so I wouldn't know. ^_^;;

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X