Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will vBulletin be the first bulletin board XHTML strict compliant ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will vBulletin be the first bulletin board XHTML strict compliant ?

When looking at improvments from vB2 to vB3, it looks like devs are trying to conform more and more to XHTML strict standards.

Well, <font> tags are not yet changed to <span style="">, but don't you think that vBulletin will be the first XHTML compliant large bulletin board system ?

I am comparing to phpBB last stable/dev versions, IPB last stable/dev versions, and other many-features bulletin boards. Is there already one that is fully compliant or not ?

How long will vBulletin keep <font> tags ?
    Last edited by Lumina; Thu 14 Aug '03, 8:24am. Reason: lapsus : IPB instead of UBB
    Lumina, aventurière des mondes fantastiques et petite rédactrice au grand cœur
    Cœur Lumière - vBulletin-fr
    Join the vBulletin French community social group!

the style wont be strict compliant as its very restrictive making something that looks nice.

Its going to be Transitional and font tags will remain as its needed for older browsers to still be ablt to view the board.
    Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

Can you name browsers that do not support <span style="font-color:#f88"> ?

Maybee you could make it an admin settings :
      Do you want the forum to be XHTML strict compliant ?
      (old browsers may experience problems)
      Last edited by Lumina; Thu 14 Aug '03, 8:27am.
      Lumina, aventurière des mondes fantastiques et petite rédactrice au grand cœur
      Cœur Lumière - vBulletin-fr
      Join the vBulletin French community social group!

Comment

The font tags are not the only reason it will not be XHTML strict.

Comment

Originally posted by tubedogg
          Not one of your most useful replies

Comment

I was just trying to point out that a switch to turn off the font tags wouldn't turn it into XHTML Strict.

Comment

Originally posted by tubedogg
              For example, the <a> tag no longer supports the target attribute. Meaning, you can't have links opening in new windows (using target="_blank"). IIRC, vBulletin has a few links opening in new windows.

(There are work-arounds for this, but using Transitional is just easier and better.)

Comment

Also isn't IPB xhtml transitional?
                Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

Originally posted by Mist
                  Also isn't IPB xhtml transitional?
                  Yes, doesn't use those nasty font tags since it beggining 3rd generation browser shouldn't be used...

XHTML Strict will be too much though...

Comment

Originally posted by Lumina
                    Can you name browsers that do not support <span style="font-color:#f88"> ?

Maybee you could make it an admin settings :
                    Do you want the forum to be XHTML strict compliant ?
                    (old browsers may experience problems)
                    From what I understand any browser on the Amiga and BeOS operating systems have hard times with any CSS.
                    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

My GeckoSkin style will be completely XHTML 1.0 Strict, and not just will it validate, but it will also actually be written as a valid style. (ie. using proper title="" and alt="" tags, using <cite>, etc. etc.).

I was hoping to be the very first online vB running in a pure XHTML 1.0 Strict environment (one Style anyway), but I fear that someone will try to beat me to it. Either way, I doubt it'll be as cool as GeckoSkin then

Comment

Eugh, CSS is aweful at the moment, they need to fix so many things to make it work on all browsers. Let's hope that CSS3 is a lot better.

Also I agree that XHTML 1.1 Strict is going too far, vBulletin would end up looking like an empty box with no style at all with strict .

Comment

Originally posted by N9ne
                          Eugh, CSS is aweful at the moment, they need to fix so many things to make it work on all browsers. Let's hope that CSS3 is a lot better.

Also I agree that XHTML 1.1 Strict is going too far, vBulletin would end up looking like an empty box with no style at all with strict .
                          I would blame IE, this PO* have some many CSS bugs

Comment

Originally posted by N9ne

What on EARTH are you talking about, dude?

CSS is excellent, frickin' awesome, it's just that the really crappy browser called Internet Explorer doesn't _understand_ CSS properly. There's virtually nothing in CSS that needs to be fixed, there's only things that need to be added to, to make it even more incredibly awesome.

PS. Daijobu, I like your nickname, very cool! ^_^
                            it's okay ^_~

Comment

Originally posted by 1337Devil
                              What on EARTH are you talking about, dude?

CSS is excellent, frickin' awesome, it's just that the really crappy browser called Internet Explorer doesn't _understand_ CSS properly. There's virtually nothing in CSS that needs to be fixed, there's only things that need to be added to, to make it even more incredibly awesome.

PS. Daijobu, I like your nickname, very cool! ^_^
                              it's okay ^_~
                              There's a lot of aligning issues with CSS.

And I agree IE sucks but since most of the world use it, I design for it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X