How do you get in the mood...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you get in the mood...

to code/hack? I mean, it's always a good time to hack your vBulletin with a premade hack but I find that I can't really create anything (vBulletin hack or standalone script) unless I'm in the mood to do it. I haven't found out how to get into the mood yet. I was wondering if anyone else here needs to be in the mood to code PHP, and how they do it if they know how...

One of the things I've noticed is that I get in the mood more often on a job that I know I'm going to be getting paid for or already have been paid for... I've been waiting several months to start a PHP coding group but I have no guarantee that I'll get a return on any investment of time or mind, and here I get paid $50 to do up a vB3 upgrade and stick around for 6 months of helping admin it and it's done faster than I upgrade my own sites!

Well, I never get paid or something. Usually, when I'm just bored I just open up my FTP and dive right in, killing several files most of the time.

I know that the vB3 WYSIWYG editor sure takes me out of the hacking mood, trying to get it to work with my shoutbox has already lost me some blood from bashing my head against a brick wall, and after a lot of hell, I finally figured out that the HTML is being created at all, but that still doesn't help me fix it. Ahhh! *hits head against wall*

Comment

wait until the next wysiwyg editor which should be running here this week.
      Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

I am. I haven't touched my shoutbox in a while since it pisses me off, hopefully the new WYSIWYG editor will fix my issues with coding hacks with it. If not I'll have to try harder to see why exactly it wants to be all pissy with me, eh?

Comment

Er to get int he mood for coding. Usually a couple of msgs from Kier telling me to wake up and get started does it.
          Not that I tend to sleep in
          Last edited by Scott MacVicar; Wed 13 Aug '03, 7:51pm.
          Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

Everytime iam working i think about what i could do when i was at home... when iam at home i start my server and open my editor and write several lines but nothing comes out because then i see the beta 5 an play around with it
            That's the end of that!

Comment

For me it's usually pretty simple. If whatever I'm coding on is a challenge, I tend to have all incentives I need to keep on going until it's done.

The problem is, most of what I do is a nice challenge, but a) it sometimes gets boring after a few weeks, and b) it's hard for me to get started on something major, coding-wise....

When I'm in a big coding mood, I code in my sleep, I dream pages of PHP and I neglect to talk to my friends as much... oops?

Comment

A good idea always get me going. I remember integrating a multiplayer chess hack with vB 2 about 3 months back before I upgraded to vB 3. Took me 1 week, but it worked.

Comment

asking about how you get in the mood to start, i would like to know how you start a hack or project.

do you write the idea down and go through what elements will be needed and stuff or do you just plough straight in and fix stuff up and add stuff as needed, as this board and some of the hacks are huge (furys shoutbox is one of them) and i wondered how you got all the elements together..

Comment

It depends. sometimes i make notes, have a look at some tutorials and look for help if it doesn't work.
                    but when iam bored and i want to code only for phun i just open my editor, write things down and don't care when it's not working
                    That's the end of that!

Comment

When I see the $$ or when my partner moans at me to do it.

And I don't plan anything, I usually just start with the database schema and continue from there.

Comment

I get into my speedos, grab a beer, close the curtains, stick on some Barry White or Marvin Gaye and let my mind control my mouse until my code is perfect.
                        Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

I'm always in the mood when i'm tired

Comment

For the last 14 months ive been on a downfall of interest in coding PHP and modifying vB, thats why vb3 was a good thing(tm), because i didnt need to do much work.

upgrading from b4 to b5 shifted me in gear for about 2 days to get everything back to normal.

Im currently coding a C# based program and the licencing fees ill be charging for it will keep me and my webserver happy and funded for a year or 2 (which motivates! me~)

Comment

Originally posted by Scott MacVicar
                              Er to get int he mood for coding. Usually a couple of msgs from Kier telling me to wake up and get started does it.
                              Not that I tend to sleep in
                              Tut tut, sleeping on the job Scott, as a vB dev, you should only sleep once a week .

On the topic of sleep, has John been sleeping in for the last few months, where is he o_O

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X