X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fury
    replied
    Originally posted by bahawolf
    Recently, I decided I basically needed to do a staff overhaul. So, I dropped some staff, and I demoted all 'Super Moderators' who weren't GCN Staff (GCN, the program) to accomodate the new rules, and undergo new training. Anyway, I got on today, and recieved this PM, who was a Staff member of mine, but not of GCN, and so was demoted:

At first, I read it... and was mad a little... but didn't do much. But, I read it the 2nd time, and realized, that he is only here for power. Everyone on GCN knows that he craves power.. but the problem is, he made the most posts on GCNForums, so it felt awkward. Anyway, I decided that overall, he did break several staff rules in the past, and now this one:

Since hes had several warnings, 1 suspension, and 1 heated argument over it... I gave up. I PMed him the following:

I already have 2 new staff members picked out, that are to undergo basic training, and then they can start off as Staff. As for JohnC.. Do you think I was wrong?
    Not at all. I've had a power hungry super mod before who wanted to become an admin, who pm'd people behind our (myself and the owner, the two existing admins) backs asking them to start trouble by registering several accounts and spamming the hell out of the forums when neither of us were online... and when we came back on, there he was whining about how he could've prevented it if he was an admin. Needless to say, he was demooted straight down to regular member and practically banned by the other members because he would always get ridiculed and thrashed whenever he posted. He caused a lot of controversy every time we had a new moderator election or a logo contest after his demotion but he later cooled down. I don't intend on bringing him back on as staff though.

Leave a comment:

• phill2003
    replied
    I did just that... I had posted on the Staff site, in the public announcements, AND in the Announcements that all Super-moderators who weren't GCN Staff, were going to be dropped about 32 hours before I dropped them. If you knew him, you'd know hes powerhungry.
    ahh had you posted this vital info in the first place, that you did inform them all well before hand then yes i agree with what you have done, and you did it right.... if the person still has a problem now then unfortunatly appart from reiterating your reasons behind it there isnt much else you can do.....

Leave a comment:

• Game Wizards
    replied
    Don't listen to what anyone else thinks, it's upto you after all it is your forum. You can make whatever decision you like.

Leave a comment:

• Faruk
    replied
    People seem to be misunderstanding me... and getting pissed.
    Nah, I understood you fine, which is why I fully support your decision

Leave a comment:

• Stryker
    replied
    Erm... if you don't mind me saying this all sounds like an exercise in military precision. I mean what's with the meetings and training? I have mods who haven't checked in for months, but I don't bin them because it's not the end of the world that they rarely visit due to real life committments. Actually my forum needs little moderation because we've got a great bunch of people who know where the lines are drawn and don't need to be baby sat. It won't fall apart if a few mods don't show up for a while. When their circumstances change they could become regular posters again, but if I were to tell them where to go because of lack of activity they would probably never come back.

I'm talking about your approach in general. I don't know the specifics of this case with JohnC so I won't comment on that. I'd need to read some of this posts first.

When you're dealing with fairly low traffic, close-knit boards like ours you can afford to loosen up a bit.
    Last edited by Stryker; Wed 13 Aug '03, 6:45am.

Leave a comment:

• bahawolf
    replied
    Oh, and the only Staff member who actually now has nothing, is JohnC. The other Super Moderator was simply brought down to Moderator for training.

Leave a comment:

• bahawolf
    replied
    People seem to be misunderstanding me... and getting pissed.

I did just that... I had posted on the Staff site, in the public announcements, AND in the Announcements that all Super-moderators who weren't GCN Staff, were going to be dropped about 32 hours before I dropped them.
    Not to mention, we just had a meeting yesterday, and it was discussed. Ironically, JohnC missed another meeting... (4th in a row, which indeed breaks the rules as well) and noone had a problem with it. Everyone understands this is just TEMPORARY, and that they'll be getting it back when training is complete.

Leave a comment:

• phill2003
    replied
    Originally posted by 1337Devil
    phil, I disagree. You say "you leave them no choice but to leave" - what kind of crap is that? Just because they are no longer supermods but now normal mods is NO reason at all for them to leave, unless the only thing they cared about was power. In which case, they shouldn't have been (S-)mods in the first place, imo.
    no, it isnt the fact that they are no longer mods or super mods that leaves them no choice but to leave, its the way it was handled..

if i went to work tomorrow and was chucked a pair of overalls and told 'get back to the shop floor your jobs gone' and that was it!!!!! i would leave, however if i was taken to a side room or office and the situation was explained ie:- restructuring there wern't any jobs at my level, redundancy and so forth then i could handle that but, i would need somekind of memo sent to all staff to make sure they knew why i was demoted or lost my position, because to be a manager(super mod) one day and not the next without any kind of notice or explanation before it took place is not only wrong but indefensible.......

Leave a comment:

• aric
    replied
    I think a bit of a warning to your current staff about upcoming changes was needed. It would have been a way of showing respect. Instead, you decided to use your power without consulting with your moderators.

True, it is your board and you do the majority of the work, and you have all the power. And truely, there could be no freedom of speech on a board that is your wish. But how do you feel that your moderators are looking at you now? What do you think the two new replacements coming in are thinking about?

Just some random thoughts.
    Last edited by aric; Wed 13 Aug '03, 6:24am.

Leave a comment:

• bahawolf
    replied
    Also, GCNForums Staff have had several meetings in the past about him. 2/3 times, 4/5 people said they wanted him gone. Today, 5/5 said they want him gone.

Leave a comment:

• Faruk
    replied
    Yup, you definitely made the right decision

Leave a comment:

• bahawolf
    replied
    I must agree... And JohnC knew the rules.. The fact that he disobeyed this rule, and several others in the past, is his own problem. And the fact that hes leaving, because hes been fired, is retarted. Trust me.. If you had known him, you'd see... Everyone on the forums want him off of Staff for that reason... He does not do a damn thing, and then wants more power for it.

Leave a comment:

• Faruk
    replied
    phil, I disagree. You say "you leave them no choice but to leave" - what kind of crap is that? Just because they are no longer supermods but now normal mods is NO reason at all for them to leave, unless the only thing they cared about was power. In which case, they shouldn't have been (S-)mods in the first place, imo.

Leave a comment:

• bahawolf
    replied
    do you not think the sensible thing would have been to post a thread setting out your intentions in the moderator forum first, this would have enabled the super mods to see that this wasnt personal but a business decision and given them the oportunity to get used to the idea, then ou could have posted about the changes in an open forum so the mass populace know it was'nt a decision taken lightly and for reasons of rule breaking by the super mods, it was infact restructuring that goes on all the time...

if you were unable to let the current super mods retain there status why not tell them this and give themt he oportunity to retrain with the relevnt skills..
    I did just that... I had posted on the Staff site, in the public announcements, AND in the Announcements that all Super-moderators who weren't GCN Staff, were going to be dropped about 32 hours before I dropped them. If you knew him, you'd know hes powerhungry.

Leave a comment:

• Faruk
    replied
    Happens a lot, that... :/

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X