Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How did you learn PHP?

How did you learn PHP (and MySQL)?

Note ahead: I'm not asking about what other programming languages you know, nor how you learned them. Just PHP and MySQL here

Me, I learned the first basics from Kevin Yank's book (Build Your Own Database Driven Website Using PHP & MySQL - the older edition, for me). I started, originally, by reading PHP and MySQL Web Development by Welling & Thomson, published by Sams. However, that was too theoretical for my taste, and not enough 'direct action', which is why I switched to Kevin Yank's book the moment I got it.

With that, I started writing simple scripts even though half the time, I wasn't much aware of all the technical details of what it all did.

Once I got the hang of it (about a week later), I started hacking vBulletin (2). First I just looked at the code and made some small additions in places. Later on I started rewriting sections and functions of vB-code, and eventually entire features for my site that worked just like vB-pages, as if they came with the package. (though not as poorly 'indented' )

By now, I know nearly all the ins and outs of vBulletin 2, am working full-time as a PHP programmer, developing a Content Management System for my work which is continually improving, and am about to do with vB3 what I did with vB2.

I started with PHP somewhere in January of 2002. I was hired as a PHP programmer in June of 2002. ^_^ vBulletin, I thank thee

As for the poll: I was just curious how many people here know me (KuraFire on vbulletin.org) and who know my hacks, and where so, what they think of 'm / my code. Call it shameless egotripping, but for all I know, there's tons of people who hate my work and are generally just polite about it I'm just curious here...
    Yes, and I think your code/hacks are excellent! Great stuff!
    9.09%
    Yes, though your code is nothing special, it's not bad.
    0.00%
    Yes, and I think you've got a LOT more to learn!
    13.64%
    Yes, but I really don't know much about your code...
    0.00%
    Nope, not seen any of it.
    77.27%

I started PHP when I needed some scripts for my site, I bought 2 PHP and MySQL books from amazon and read them, I then got help from some other PHP guru's. As for the poll, I haven't really seen any of your work, as I don't hang around at vB.org

Comment

Ah, speaking of which...

Any particular reason I see so many people order them online instead of going to the local bookstore with such books and getting one there?

I bought my big Sams book locally in the store in the city here, but when I was recommended several times to use Kevin Yank's book, and it seemed easy enough, I ordered that as well. However, I still tried the local store, first (cos that would get me the book Right Away). Did you try that? (mundane curiosity, not trying to be obnoxious or anything! )

Comment

Yep, they're cheaper on Amazon than all the local places 'round here and they didn't happen to have any in stock..

Comment

www.php.net
          Webmaster / Administrator
          www.MegaGames.com
          www.MGForums.com

Comment

and www.mysql.com

Comment

Ah, that's a good possibility too, yeah...

I guess I'm lucky, there's a big bookstore in the city right next to where I live, that is filled with nothing but these kind of books - learning books for programming, but also for many other things. The Internet section is huge though! ^_^

And Vile - you never read a book or even a little bit of a book on PHP? never any tutorials online or so? never learned by hacking/reading other people's code?

Comment

I've read some good tutorials, and when I first started I converted a login and registration system from cookies to sessions, which was a great feeling .. LOL! Actually, I'm still using it here:

http://www.gamewizards.net/cp/

Comment

I think l learned them the hard way...a lot of headbanging...and I still haven't gotten half the PHP/MySQL Concept
                  ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                  Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

Mostly hacking other things, reading other people's code.

http://i.ksilebo.com/ksicom_button.png
                    http://i.ksilebo.com/simpli_button.png

Comment

i actually just finished PHP and MySQL last month.. so i'm still a newbie... but vBulletin is what got me interested, and i started understanding the basics from looking at vBulletin, then i bought "Sams Teach Yourself PHP in 24 Hours" (2nd edition), and it was great... and i also bought the sam's book for MySQL as well, which was a breeze...

to think.. i almost went the path of PERL! (heh, i intend to learn it someday actually..)

and sorry, i do not really hang around at vb.org either... so i wouldn't know of your work
                      http://www.webtrickscentral.com/images/wtcsig.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by 1337Devil
                        Ah, that's a good possibility too, yeah...

I guess I'm lucky, there's a big bookstore in the city right next to where I live, that is filled with nothing but these kind of books - learning books for programming, but also for many other things. The Internet section is huge though! ^_^

And Vile - you never read a book or even a little bit of a book on PHP? never any tutorials online or so? never learned by hacking/reading other people's code?

There are tons of great bookstores around here that offer many books one this type of stuff, but IMO it's somewhat strange getting a book on PHP.
                        I agree that books are lot more convienent, since you can take them around and all of that, but the Inernet is still the source for this type of stuff. (since info can be updated so quickly, and it's so eaisly accessible.
                        Webmaster / Administrator
                        www.MegaGames.com
                        www.MGForums.com

Comment

I had started with Ikonboard, and only until February did I start using vBulletin. I made a few personal hacks to IB, and I learned how PERL works in the process of hacking and looking at the code.

I'm getting more familiar with PHP.
                          | DiscBurn | CD & DVD Replication services, film and VHS to DVD, and duplication equipment
                          |
                          Disc On Demand | Short-run CD & DVD duplication... all online.

Comment

Reading and doing, 2 years of pure practice has gotten me to where I am now - finally opening a site.

Comment

Cagex, don't forget to register for Priority Forum Support so you can get access to the support forums. To do this, please go here:

http://www.vbulletin.com/members/forums.php

...and enter your email address (the one you used to register on the forums) in one of the boxes. You'll need to have your customer number and password to access that page.
                              Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                              Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X