Critical Windows Bug - Fix NOW!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
    And if Linux were the most used OS in the world, there would be something effecting it instead.
    Wayne, that's only partially true.

If linux were the most-used OS in the world, then yes, more people would try to hack into / around it to do harm. However, being Open Source, you would still have the advantages of:
    - instant fixes;
    - an infinitely larger support & development team;

Something MS simply fails at...

Comment

Originally posted by 1337Devil
      I'm forced to using Windows cos Photoshop just won't run on Linux as well, sad as it is. For everything else, I'd much rather be using Debian, but for now, I don't feel like rebooting into another OS every hour, thankyouverymuch.
      Runs fine using the CrossOver Office version of Wine.... They even gaurantee Photoshop 7 as a supported application.
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

If linux were the most-used OS in the world, then yes, more people would try to hack into / around it to do harm. However, being Open Source, you would still have the advantages of:
        - instant fixes;
        - an infinitely larger support & development team;

IBM released the fix for this worm that hit yesterday on July 16th, 2003.. A full 2 weeks before the worm was released. The worm was created from technical documents released by security experts at the same time.

What this goes to show is that the end-user doesn't maintain their machine properly even though the tools are provided with every major OS these days.

Personally, I won't take a Kernal or source code from some average programmer on a project. Furthermore, the Linux kernal is controlled which means even though it is open source, not just anyone can contribute code to the project.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Runs fine using the CrossOver Office version of Wine.... They even gaurantee Photoshop 7 as a supported application.
          From our experience, it was supported, yes, but usable, no. Though this was a while ago already, back when PS7 was still new and shiny... might be better now, I guess we have to check it out again

IBM released the fix for this worm that hit yesterday on July 16th, 2003.. A full 2 weeks before the worm was released. The worm was created from technical documents released by security experts at the same time.

What this goes to show is that the end-user doesn't maintain their machine properly even though the tools are provided with every major OS these days.

Personally, I won't take a Kernal or source code from some average programmer on a project. Furthermore, the Linux kernal is controlled which means even though it is open source, not just anyone can contribute code to the project.
          The kernel, yeah, but a patch for a small thing isn't often a kernel issue. Mind you, this Worm of recent is not what I consider a 'small thing'...

It's just that Microsoft has a tendency to not even acknowledge known & existing bugs that pose up to very severe security leaks. That just really bothers me. Esp. since many of these leaks exist in IE and are exploitable by a simple webpage...

Comment

- instant fixes;

Microsoft had a fix for the bug out in July.
            Microsoft released a further patch and fix within hours of the vulnerabililty being identified.

All software has bugs, it's fact of life. If people do not download the updates it's their choice. Not Microsofts failure.
            Motorsport Forums

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X