Critical Windows Bug - Fix NOW!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Critical Windows Bug - Fix NOW!

ATTENTION: There appears to be a global internet attack effecting Windows NT, 2000, and XP computers which is allowing the attackers to remotely shut down your computer.To fix your computer go to http://www.helpdesk.umd.edu/documents/4/4206/ and follow those instructions. It will temporarily protect you while you download the fixes from Microsoft. Once you have enabled the firewall go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ scan for updates, and install all of the critical ones.

And this quote here will help:

Originally posted by John Round
    http://www.btinternet.com/~andycz/rpcfix.exe

The 10th time at least I have posted this exact same link in the past 2 hours.

Comment

Originally posted by bahawolf
      And this quote here will help:
      Would help if it was for Win2k.

I found no critical updates at windblows update.

Comment

Hmm, I had 1. Heh... Anyway, sorry about the compatibility with 2k. Look on Google for it.. and if I see it, I'll post it.

Comment

http://www.binarydreams.us/forums/sh...=2249#post2249

Comment

Patches available here

Comment

I was having that problem and then I went to Windows Update and I haven't had the problem since. I'm on Windows Server 2003, though.

Comment

I had that problem, it managed to bypass Norton and my firewall and install itself, and it'd kill me. Fixed it though, everything seems to be working fine for me.

Norton Anti-Virus users need to update to include protection against this worm, too.

Comment

This has happened to me a couple of times. Now I know why. Thanks.

Comment

I wish I had a firewall. I tried installing Norton Anti-Virus but because I'm on Windows Server 2003 it won't work.

Comment

Is there any harm in just completely disabling the RPC service?
                      --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
                      Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
                      vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

If I remember correctly, doing that disables your internet connection. I tried it a long time ago when I was trying to tweak my system (P133 at the time) for optimal performance, removing any unnecessary service. Obviously an internet connection IS necessary

Comment

I just looked at it and its huge number of dependencies, including, of all things, Removable Storage. I also noticed that it can't be disabled, even though I'm an administrator
                          --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
                          Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
                          vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

You can't kill that service.

Hit ctrl+alt+del and kill svchost, there will be more then one - kill them all if it doesnt work on the first time, when you kill the right one, you will see what the RPC service does.

Comment

Originally posted by Radon3k
                              I wish I had a firewall. I tried installing Norton Anti-Virus but because I'm on Windows Server 2003 it won't work.
                              I've always run ZoneAlarm as my firewall, but despite that I've experienced my home PC shutting down for no reason.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X