Leave a comment:

• wfp
    replied
    suse support is horrid
    avoid

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    I was basing it on documentation in the Suse Linux manual that came with my prepackaged copy of Suse, where they state they follow the heritage provided by Redhat before them. To me the keywords are heritage and provided which implies that Suse comes from or is derived in someway from Redhat. However it may be incorrect...
    Last edited by Wayne Luke; Mon 11th Aug '03, 2:17pm.

Leave a comment:

• Jerry
    replied
    Originally posted by Wayne Luke
    Hmmm.. Funny. That site doesn't list Mandrake as a Redhat Derivative either. Especially funny since both are.
    What are you basing that on ? Is Jurix German for redhat ?

edit :

The first release of S.u.S.E. Linux was based on Peter McDonald's SLS Distribution. After Florian LaRoche joined S.u.S.E. in 1995, we began to create a new version of S.u.S.E.Linux, based on his Jurix Distribution, which in turn has it's roots in Slackware (Florian started Jurix in 1993). The Package format were gzip-compressed tar-files. Starting with S.u.S.E.Linux 5.0, RPM was used as the default package format

Found here

I was sure it wasn't RedHat, though I did find out it was slackware !
    Last edited by Jerry; Mon 11th Aug '03, 2:04pm.

Leave a comment:

• Philipp
    replied
    Originally posted by UHN_ED
    When SuSE was at 8.1 it couldn't resize NTFS partitions. Can it do this in 8.2 personal?
    There is an open source ntfs resize tool: http://mlf.linux.rulez.org/mlf/ezaz/ntfsresize.html

The installer of Mandrake Linux 9.1 comes already with this tool. However, it is not included in SuSE Linux yet.

Originally posted by Game Wizards
    So which is best? It's mainly just home use for a lil bit of coding, hacking, etc.
    If you like to try something different, then give Knoppix a try: http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html. Knoppix is basically a Debian (unstable) LiveCD distro which can be also installed on the harddisk.

To install Knoppix on your harddisk: Boot from CD, open a shell window and run: sudo /usr/local/bin/knx-hdinstall

Reboot the system after the installation is complete. You are now running Debian (unstable)

To update all packages to the latest versions, open a shell window and do the following:
    Code:
    su - (+ root password)
    apt-get update
    apt-get upgrade
    This will upgrade the system to KDE 3.1.3 and other new packages

To install a new packages (example):
    Code:
    apt-get install evolution
    This will download and install Ximian Evolution 1.4

To search for a package:
    Code:
    apt-cache search package
    You need to replace package with the package name

All available packages in Debian (unstable): http://packages.debian.org/unstable/

Leave a comment:

• ffaBen
    replied
    If you want to get Hardcore then use Slackware (no apt-get, no rpm and you have to compile everything). Personally Slackware is beyond what I want. I want to work instead of compiling and configuring software all day.
    http://www.linuxpackages.net/ Slack uses tgz packages, which are like RPMs without dependancies etc.
    But I usually opt for installing stuff from Source.

Gentoo barely has any binary packages aswell, so you'll be compiling from source "all day" then

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    Personally if you are new to Linux fulltime, I suggest Suse or Mandrake with KDE or Gnome (Gnome is a little lighter in resources) as that will be the most similar to the Windows environment you are used to. As time goes on you might want to evaluate other distributions like Gentoo (I am going to try this one out soon) to go for a lean and mean distribution that you can custom tailor.

For general user stuff, I suggest Suse mainly because Mandrake wouldn't install on my PC and Redhat has to many problems.

For more technical stuff I would suggest Debian or Gentoo.

If you want to get Hardcore then use Slackware (no apt-get, no rpm and you have to compile everything). Personally Slackware is beyond what I want. I want to work instead of compiling and configuring software all day.

What works for your style is something you have to determine on your own. This one of the beauties of Linux in that it gives you choices.

Leave a comment:

• Game Wizards
    replied
    Ok thanks, I'll use KDE and everything, I'm just wondering what you think the best is to try and why, I'd like speed and stability as this redhat, as you've said several times, is forever crashing and lagging.

Thanks

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    Best is subjective. I don't think your stats are that bad, maybe increase the memory to 256 but other than that it is good.

My suggestion to you is to download and try several Linux Distros to see which one you like. All it costs is the cost of making CD's for them.

Leave a comment:

• Game Wizards
    replied
    Ok, my specs are pretty crappy but here goes:

900Mhz AMD Athlon Processer
    40GB HDD
    128mb RAM
    ..decent cards and stuff
    Also just got a new motherboard.

[edit] So which is best? It's mainly just home use for a lil bit of coding, hacking, etc.
    Last edited by Game Wizards; Sun 10th Aug '03, 2:08am.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    Just see if you can get a copy of Partition Magic and use that to resize the NTFS partition. If you live in Europe, you can purchase a copy of Suse Linux with Partition Magic while supplies last on their website.

Leave a comment:

• UHN_ED
    replied
    Okay, thanks.

If I have a bigger need for it, I will just wipe my drive and partition it before installing XP so I can have one partition with a linux fiilesystem.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    Originally posted by UHN_ED
    When SuSE was at 8.1 it couldn't resize NTFS partitions. Can it do this in 8.2 personal?

I may put it on my laptop if it can. I know that I can resize them myself, but my need for linux is too little to go through that, I am lazy.
    NTFS support in most Linux distributions is at a Read-Only state. Not sure of any that can resize an NTFS partition with any degree of perfection. When I ran Redhat with NTFS, it destroyed the file structure on the drive so I would recommend against accessing NTFS drives completely until kernal support is more stable.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    Originally posted by Philipp
    SuSE is not a Red Hat derivative, see: http://www.distrowatch.com/stats.php...n=independence
    Hmmm.. Funny. That site doesn't list Mandrake as a Redhat Derivative either. Especially funny since both are. Maybe since both are considered their own distributions now and do their own programming and not reliant on Redhat for new releases they don't list it.

However when Suse was first released it was a Redhat derivative and has diverged from there.

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X