No announcement yet.

SuSE?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Personally if you are new to Linux fulltime, I suggest Suse or Mandrake with KDE or Gnome (Gnome is a little lighter in resources) as that will be the most similar to the Windows environment you are used to. As time goes on you might want to evaluate other distributions like Gentoo (I am going to try this one out soon) to go for a lean and mean distribution that you can custom tailor.

For general user stuff, I suggest Suse mainly because Mandrake wouldn't install on my PC and Redhat has to many problems.

For more technical stuff I would suggest Debian or Gentoo.

If you want to get Hardcore then use Slackware (no apt-get, no rpm and you have to compile everything). Personally Slackware is beyond what I want. I want to work instead of compiling and configuring software all day.

What works for your style is something you have to determine on your own. This one of the beauties of Linux in that it gives you choices.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
    Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

If you want to get Hardcore then use Slackware (no apt-get, no rpm and you have to compile everything). Personally Slackware is beyond what I want. I want to work instead of compiling and configuring software all day.
      http://www.linuxpackages.net/ Slack uses tgz packages, which are like RPMs without dependancies etc.
      But I usually opt for installing stuff from Source.

Gentoo barely has any binary packages aswell, so you'll be compiling from source "all day" then
      FFAddicts: [site|forums]

Comment

Originally posted by UHN_ED
        When SuSE was at 8.1 it couldn't resize NTFS partitions. Can it do this in 8.2 personal?
        There is an open source ntfs resize tool: http://mlf.linux.rulez.org/mlf/ezaz/ntfsresize.html

The installer of Mandrake Linux 9.1 comes already with this tool. However, it is not included in SuSE Linux yet.

Originally posted by Game Wizards
        So which is best? It's mainly just home use for a lil bit of coding, hacking, etc.
        If you like to try something different, then give Knoppix a try: http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html. Knoppix is basically a Debian (unstable) LiveCD distro which can be also installed on the harddisk.

To install Knoppix on your harddisk: Boot from CD, open a shell window and run: sudo /usr/local/bin/knx-hdinstall

Reboot the system after the installation is complete. You are now running Debian (unstable)

To update all packages to the latest versions, open a shell window and do the following:
        Code:
        su - (+ root password)
        apt-get update
        apt-get upgrade
        This will upgrade the system to KDE 3.1.3 and other new packages

To install a new packages (example):
        Code:
        apt-get install evolution
        This will download and install Ximian Evolution 1.4

To search for a package:
        Code:
        apt-cache search package
        You need to replace package with the package name

All available packages in Debian (unstable): http://packages.debian.org/unstable/
        Contentteller Community Forums

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
          Hmmm.. Funny. That site doesn't list Mandrake as a Redhat Derivative either. Especially funny since both are.
          What are you basing that on ? Is Jurix German for redhat ?

edit :

The first release of S.u.S.E. Linux was based on Peter McDonald's SLS Distribution. After Florian LaRoche joined S.u.S.E. in 1995, we began to create a new version of S.u.S.E.Linux, based on his Jurix Distribution, which in turn has it's roots in Slackware (Florian started Jurix in 1993). The Package format were gzip-compressed tar-files. Starting with S.u.S.E.Linux 5.0, RPM was used as the default package format

Found here

I was sure it wasn't RedHat, though I did find out it was slackware !
          Last edited by Jerry; Mon 11th Aug '03, 2:04pm.
          I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

I was basing it on documentation in the Suse Linux manual that came with my prepackaged copy of Suse, where they state they follow the heritage provided by Redhat before them. To me the keywords are heritage and provided which implies that Suse comes from or is derived in someway from Redhat. However it may be incorrect...
            Last edited by Wayne Luke; Mon 11th Aug '03, 2:17pm.
            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
            vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
            Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

suse support is horrid
              avoid

Comment

I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

Wow. And the Suse comes back to life.

Ok.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X