Is phpNuke really a good idea?

State your opinion.

:cool: That which is obvious, needs no introduction. :cool:

I personally do not think so.

Comment

Originally posted by ABLady
      Is phpNuke really a good idea?

State your opinion.
      Depends on what other alternatives you have been considering? If you want a lite Portal vbhome is a good option, if you want something more from a Portal and integrated with your forums then vbPortal (for vbulletin 2X) is the way to go. If like me you wish to leave vbulletin clean, easy to update, and get fed up re-doing hacks every update phpNuke is the better option.I am not getting into the Postnuke V phpNuke argument but, phpNuke has a better community spirit, add-ons are good and the security of the Portal is much improved, just follow the advice on NukeCops regarding this.BTW, if you do go the phpNuke way, after you install and have it running, deactivate the forums and Private messages, then you can delete these modules from your server. DO NOT use webmail, it is a security hazard, in fact delete the entire webmail module from your server.

Comment

Thanks centris! Paying NukeCops a visit now.

:cool: That which is obvious, needs no introduction. :cool:

Comment

ANYTHING-Nuke is nothing but headache after headache after headache in my experience. Including PHP-Nuke, PostNuke, vbPortal, etc. My advice? Go with vbHome, vBindex, or stick with hand-coding your non-forum pages. Even the latter is easier than Nuke.

Comment

Originally posted by fury
            ANYTHING-Nuke is nothing but headache after headache after headache in my experience. Including PHP-Nuke, PostNuke, vbPortal, etc. My advice? Go with vbHome, vBindex, or stick with hand-coding your non-forum pages. Even the latter is easier than Nuke.
            vBHome, vB Index, etc are cool, and no offense intended at all, but they are not even in the same league when compared to vBPortal.
            Webmaster / Administrator
            www.MegaGames.com
            www.MGForums.com

Comment

Been running nuke since 5.6 with no issues. Also vbportal for over 18 months, again no issues. If anything, the member contributed add-ons for both can at times be bug prone in the initial releases, however just as in vbulletin hacks, you get to know the authors you can trust to produce a well coded module. With literary thousands of CMS’s running a number of nuke Variants on the Net, Red hat including it on their distros etc. They are well proven, reliable, and easy for the novice to install.

vbHome, (it's more a home page) cannot in all seriousness be described as a Content Management System, that I think is what ABLady is leaning toward.

Comment

Portal aint CMS, that's why
                No offence to thier devellopers, but those scripts are just bloated and ressource hog
                Don't use any of these Nuke thingy

Comment

Originally posted by Daijoubu
                  Portal aint CMS, that's why
                  No offence to thier devellopers, but those scripts are just bloated and ressource hog
                  Don't use any of these Nuke thingy

Seems this simple thread has attracted the "I hate all things nuke brigade" So let’s set the record straight here, vbulletin 3 beta 5 has 468 files in 27 folders, size is just under 5MB.

vbPortal (latest version) has 559 files in 68 folders and is around 2MB

phpNuke 6.5 has 746 files and 68 folders and is around 3MB when you strip out all the language files and themes you do not need. to this 3MB you could add 1.27MB if you included the built in forums, so the CMS and forums together, would take less free space on your server than vbulletin beta 5. I personally do not consider any complete system around the 5MB mark Bloated!

Regarding system resources, any CMS with a mySQL backend will increase the number of queries to the server, i.e. any increase in functionality has a corresponding effect on the number of quires made, some are better optimised than others, as for phpNuke, the inclusion of phpBB was a major mistake, it has a poor record on some servers as a resource hog as you mention, but I use vbulletin, and I assume the original poster of this thread intends to as well, so there is no issue here.

As for what is deemed a CMS / Portal the terminology or definition I came across sums it up quite well;

At a high level, there are really only two sets of actors in a CMS project: 1) people entering and approving content, and 2) people visiting your website to read that content. The former you can call "content contributors," "content managers," "or content producers." The latter you can label "content consumers," "site visitors," or just plain "readers.
                  As such, PHPNuke, PostNuke, vbPortal can be described as a content management system or Portal, written in PHP with a mySQL backend, focusing on style, appearance, and functionality.

Just my view

Comment

Originally posted by centris

Seems this simple thread has attracted the "I hate all things nuke brigade" So let’s set the record straight here, vbulletin 3 beta 5 has 468 files in 27 folders, size is just under 5MB.

Just my view

Nice
                    Webmaster / Administrator
                    www.MegaGames.com
                    www.MGForums.com

Comment

I've done what fury suggested. Spent a little time creating my own. The results will be far more rewarding and your result won't have all the extra crap like most portals.

If your rather new to php, I suggest using vBPortal.
                      Trent Gillespie Mod Theater Gillespie Photography

Comment

This is somewhat the issue, most portals are modular, when you add stuffs in, the queries+++
                        The SQL structure isn't optimized neither, no indexes whatsoever
                        If only PHP-Nuke devellopment were more active (not to mention all the security holes that had to be patched)
                        Custom scripts are, and will always be better, more suited to your needs. All Nuke based site have the same boring layout (no offence to PHP-Nuke skinners), someone open your sites and *BAM* "Oh, that must be Nuke powered"

"when you strip out all the language files and themes you do not need"
                        That's what I call bloat, why download languages you will never use? Yes it's nice to have multiples skins to choose from, but why force users to download them o.O
                        That 5Mb is 3Mb too much to my taste

Just downloaded it see if anything was improven
                        4.1Mb gzipped tarball, great! 11.2 uncompressed *Delete*

Comment

i had the lates vbportal on for a while, the only problem i found was the sheer amount of query's it added, on the home page i managed to get it to 29 but that was turning everything off, which made it into a vbhomelight.

adding even the new member name and associated little details like users online and things upped the count by 5 querys, the the side blocks chipped in at between 2 and 5 each.

and before you say anything i asked about optimising it at vbportals but got nowhere, even though i payed for support...

so i took it off besides most of the modules i didnt want/use anyway so it was pointless....

i'm not saying it isnt a good product its just not for me

Comment

I absolutely despise anything *nuke. There is only one free CMS that I can use without trying to kill myself, and that is Xoops.

http://i.ksilebo.com/ksicom_button.png
                            http://i.ksilebo.com/simpli_button.png

Comment

xoops upside the head........ xoops upside the head

sorry got carried away.......

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X