No announcement yet.

MSIE for RedHat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't use eot on my site, I would never use something that was proprietary.

Although, if you visited a site that used eot you wouldn't know that is was not working, unless you check the code of every site you visit.

I like firebird, I don't like Mozilla that much - I am anticipating firebord taking over as the browser in that package, I think it will be my default browser soon. I just go to too many sites that don't offer everything for it yet.

I reallt hope something happens that the WYSIWYG can work in firebird.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
      I have yet to find any standards compliant code that doesn't look the same in Mozilla and Internet Explorer 6.
      The problem with IE6 is its CSS support really... Mozilla is far superior to IE when it comes to that.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
        Then you should use Windows as your platform. Internet Explorer 6 is the last of the standalone browser. To upgrade to Internet Explorer 7, you will have to upgrade your Windows OS.
        I installed Linux so that i can have a test-place which is similar to my dedicated server to make my pages.
        I have yet to find any standards compliant code that doesn't look the same in Mozilla and Internet Explorer 6.
        I had some trouble with tables in tables which looked good in IE, but not so good in Mozilla.
        p.s. The flicker is probably caused by a problem with your distribution of linux, your version of XFree86 or your video drivers. What distro are you using?
        RedHat 9.0
        :rolleyes: :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: :rolleyes:

Comment

Originally posted by Arunan.S
          <offtopic>
          Will Longhorn have loads of spyware, and carry on that debate they had about blocking off installation of pirated software, and music and movie downloads??
          </offtopic>
          no features are added yet, just cosmetic changes to the GUI.

wouldnt be able to tell you right now anyways, not trying to be a smarta$$, i just cant comment
          MCSE, MVP, CCIE
          Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

Originally posted by Arunan.S
            <offtopic>
            Will Longhorn have loads of spyware, and carry on that debate they had about blocking off installation of pirated software, and music and movie downloads??
            </offtopic>
            Do a search for Windows Longhorn... Some magazines and websites have leaked conceptual screenshots for early alpha's. Others has have released conceptual shots of what they would like in Longhorn.
            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Originally posted by marocnl
              I installed Linux so that i can have a test-place which is similar to my dedicated server to make my pages.
              I had some trouble with tables in tables which looked good in IE, but not so good in Mozilla.
              Hmmm, you could get the same effect on Windows installing Apache, PHP and MySQL of the same versions on your server. Or you could have used a dual boot machine with a shared partition for documents.

It depends on your code... vBulletin uses tables within tables within tables and I haven't found a site that messes up in Mozilla or Firebird if it is coded properly. Now IE lets you skip tags, not close tables etc and still tries to render it properly. Not sure what the problem could be, would have to look at the code.

AS for Redhat 9.0, this is the most bulky and slowest OS that I have ever encountered. It is has no concept of maintaining resources and itself is jerky and problematic. Add to this the fact that the default kernal is developed for a processor (the i386) that went obsolete in the early 90's and you get another host of problems. Your server isn't running Redhat 9.0 is it? More likely it is Redhat 7.3. For a home PC, I recommend Suse, Mandrake or Gentoo as these are the ones designed for home use and the programs an average user would use. They have faster kernals and more up to date software than even Redhat 9.0. Both Suse and Mandrake started out as derivatives of Redhat so they support RPMs but do a better job of it. I believe that Gentoo is a derivative of Debian Linux which would support APT based packages.

Wayne Luke
              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Wayne doesn't like RedHat 9.0!

Hi there,

Wayne Luke wrote the following:
                AS for Redhat 9.0, this is the most bulky and slowest OS that I have ever encountered. It is has no concept of maintaining resources and itself is jerky and problematic. Add to this the fact that the default kernal is developed for a processor (the i386) that went obsolete in the early 90's and you get another host of problems. Your server isn't running Redhat 9.0 is it? More likely it is Redhat 7.3. For a home PC, I recommend Suse, Mandrake or Gentoo as these are the ones designed for home use and the programs an average user would use. They have faster kernals and more up to date software than even Redhat 9.0. Both Suse and Mandrake started out as derivatives of Redhat so they support RPMs but do a better job of it. I believe that Gentoo is a derivative of Debian Linux which would support APT based packages.

Can more people confirm this? Because i just happen to be setting up my new server and really need to know whether i should NOT use RedHat 9.0. If that's the case, which version would be the best?? My current host installed RedHat 8.0.

I have 2 Gb of DIMM, and will the kernel of RedHat 7.3 recognize all of it? Because i remember that the kernel of RedHat 8.0 having some trouble recognizing all the RAM.

GIMME SOME FEEDBACK, before i make a big mistake by installing RedHat 9.0.

Also, why the heck is RedHat so slow with bringing out RPM-versions of httpd, MySQL and PHP?? Does a paid license get you these RPM's as soon as a newer version of let's say PHP is out?

Comment

Hi there,

Wayne Luke wrote the following:

Can more people confirm this? Because i just happen to be setting up my new server and really need to know whether i should NOT use RedHat 9.0. If that's the case, which version would be the best?? My current host installed RedHat 8.0.

I have 2 Gb of DIMM, and will the kernel of RedHat 7.3 recognize all of it? Because i remember that the kernel of RedHat 8.0 having some trouble recognizing all the RAM.

GIMME SOME FEEDBACK, before i make a big mistake by installing RedHat 9.0.

Also, why the heck is RedHat so slow with bringing out RPM-versions of httpd, MySQL and PHP?? Does a paid license get you these RPM's as soon as a newer version of let's say PHP is out?
                  I could have sworn i put this in a thread. That's because i wanted feedback on the subject. Whoever of you, vb-dev, did this, i don't think you fully understand why i put it in a thread. If you look at the title. It has nothing to do with what i'm asking. If you would be so kind to put it back into a thread, i would be much obliged.

Comment

IE6 isn't the last standalone IE from my understanding, just the last version that will work with Windows < Longhorn. Microsoft said they can't upgrade IE anymore without changing underlying code, but that means once the underlying code changes are done, (in Longhorn) and IE7 comes out, there will probably be upgrades again after that, until they reach another point in time when Longhorn can no longer get upgraded either, and then it will move onto the next version of Windows.

It's basically like Windows 95 not being able to upgrade to IE6.

Comment

Originally posted by filburt1
                      ...or VMware, which is expensive but will definitely more than get the job done.
                      bochs would work too.

http://bochs.sourceforge.net/

Peace...

Comment

I'm in the process of building a server based on RedHat 9 and have found the performance, thus far, to be very good. I'm a Slackware user normally (meaning at home), so I'm used to compiling stuff. I've used RedHat at work, but do most of the software upgrades manually and from source.

The first thing I did was a kernel build on my new server (Pentium III 800 MHz, so it's just new to me... ) after upgrading to gcc-3.3 and I'm using this as my base system. I'm still in the process of transferring existing sites to the box and setting up Qmail, etc.

If you're a "hands off" kind of Linux user, than maybe you should check out other distros to see how they have their packages configured. If you're a "hands on" kind of Linux user, then doing kernel builds, etc., shouldn't be any big deal.

My Slackware 8 system at home comes with a 2.4.5 kernel and I've upgraded periodically to 2.4.21 and am waiting for 2.4.22 to hit the street (if it hasn't already).

Peace...

Comment

Originally posted by Cyborg from DH
                          IE6 isn't the last standalone IE from my understanding, just the last version that will work with Windows < Longhorn. Microsoft said they can't upgrade IE anymore without changing underlying code, but that means once the underlying code changes are done, (in Longhorn) and IE7 comes out, there will probably be upgrades again after that, until they reach another point in time when Longhorn can no longer get upgraded either, and then it will move onto the next version of Windows.

It's basically like Windows 95 not being able to upgrade to IE6.
                          Microsoft has stated that future versions of IE will only be included with the Windows OS... not how unstandalone that gets. It is the reason they claimed for discontinuing IE for the Mac and Unix OSes.

Wayne Luke
                          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...
                          X