Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MSIE for RedHat

Hi there,

Does anybody know whether there is a Microsoft Internet Explorer for RedHat(Linux)?

Mozilla i already have. I really mean MSIE.
    :rolleyes: :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: :rolleyes:

You can try to run it through Wine, but I doubt there is a port to linux for it.

Comment

Originally posted by xiphoid
      You can try to run it through Wine, but I doubt there is a port to linux for it.
      ...or VMware, which is expensive but will definitely more than get the job done.
      --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
      Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
      vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

IE runs fine in Linux under various versions of WINE. I personally use Crossover Office for that purpose as they specifically tweak WINE to run some of the largest commercial products like MS-OFFICE and Photoshop.

Crossover Office is a commercial product but worth it in case you need support. And it is a lot cheaper than VMWare and you don't need a Windows license to do it.

http://www.codeweavers.com/products/office/
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
          IE runs fine in Linux under various versions of WINE. I personally use Crossover Office for that purpose as they specifically tweak WINE to run some of the largest commercial products like MS-OFFICE and Photoshop.

Crossover Office is a commercial product but worth it in case you need support. And it is a lot cheaper than VMWare and you don't need a Windows license to do it.

http://www.codeweavers.com/products/office/

I installed the latest version of Wine and i keep getting the following error: "error while loading shared libraries: libntdll.dll.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory".

I am running Wine from a /win-directory. That is the partition where my Windows XP(fat32) is on.

Any ideas how to fix this?

Comment

Nope sorry. I don't use the standard release of Wine. I would guess that it is an invalid prefix path when you compiled the program but not knowing how your machine is setup or how you compiled, I wouldn't be able to know. I use Crossover Office and didn't have any problems installing it. Just run a script.

For games, I use Transgaming WineX distribution and the same thing. Just run a script and it installs. Both are commercial and offer support as well. I would suggest asking at www.justlinux.org about installing the default version of Wine but I hear it is very buggy.

Wayne Luke
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Nope sorry. I don't use the standard release of Wine. I would guess that it is an invalid prefix path when you compiled the program but not knowing how your machine is setup or how you compiled, I wouldn't be able to know. I use Crossover Office and didn't have any problems installing it. Just run a script.

For games, I use Transgaming WineX distribution and the same thing. Just run a script and it installs. Both are commercial and offer support as well. I would suggest asking at www.justlinux.org about installing the default version of Wine but I hear it is very buggy.
              ThnX for the tip. I installed their trial version.

The IE Toolbar flickers a lot. Besides that, it works like a charm.

Comment

enjoy it while it lasts IE 7 wont be so friendly
                MCSE, MVP, CCIE
                Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

Originally posted by Asendin
                  Yeah but Mozilla Firebird is a better browser in my opinion. I don't use IE unless something is reported as broken in it.

However, I also have two Windows XP machine and will probably upgrade at least one of those to Longhorn and IE 7 when it is released.

Wayne Luke
                  vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Originally posted by Asendin
                    What do you mean? Will they make it impossible for codeweaver to make it run under Linux? I think codeweavers.com will make it work. It just means i will be upgrading their product.

Comment

Yeah but Mozilla Firebird is a better browser in my opinion. I don't use IE unless something is reported as broken in it.

However, I also have two Windows XP machine and will probably upgrade at least one of those to Longhorn and IE 7 when it is released.
                      Yeah, but the problem with using some other browser than the IE, is that 98% of my visitors use IE. The fact is that Mozilla still doesn't display things exactly like IE, so i am saving myself some trouble in making stuff work in Mozilla, and then having to check them all over in IE. The smartest thing here is to make it work in IE in the first place.

Comment

Then you should use Windows as your platform. Internet Explorer 6 is the last of the standalone browser. To upgrade to Internet Explorer 7, you will have to upgrade your Windows OS.

I have yet to find any standards compliant code that doesn't look the same in Mozilla and Internet Explorer 6.

p.s. The flicker is probably caused by a problem with your distribution of linux, your version of XFree86 or your video drivers. What distro are you using?

Wayne Luke
                        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

The problem is that not all code is standards compliant, and IE seems to still display that code correctly (probably because the developer was testing with IE).

I have not been able to get Mozilla or firebird to display fonts that are not installed (eot through CSS, IE does this fine)

Once firebird can do eot and vB's WYSIWYG editor I will switch to it primarily. I also am anticipating it replacing the browser in mozilla.

Comment

<offtopic>
                            Will Longhorn have loads of spyware, and carry on that debate they had about blocking off installation of pirated software, and music and movie downloads??
                            </offtopic>

Comment

Originally posted by UHN_ED
                              The problem is that not all code is standards compliant, and IE seems to still display that code correctly (probably because the developer was testing with IE).

I have not been able to get Mozilla or firebird to display fonts that are not installed (eot through CSS, IE does this fine)

Once firebird can do eot and vB's WYSIWYG editor I will switch to it primarily. I also am anticipating it replacing the browser in mozilla.
                              See, I don't care about all code on the Internet. I only care about mine. If your site doesn't work in Mozilla/Firebird then I will only visit it once in my lifetime. If it does and you have good content, I might visit it more often. Since you are using a Microsoft proprietary extension (eot), you can't expect it to work in any browser except IE and that is your choice. If my voice as a user of alternative software means nothing to you then no big deal, you have 100 competitors that do care about me and my browser and they will get my money when I purchase products from them or visit their sites and display ads for them. That is the choice you make.

Wayne Luke
                              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X