Blogging Systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blogging Systems

I read the large thread that was just recently posted regarding which software to use. However I'm looking for a blogging software that allows other users to have accounts and post their blogs from my site, if they wanted to. I got MoveableType installed without any problems but that appears to be for one person. I messed around with it for a bit but if it allows others to have accounts and make blog entries then I didn't see it. I did see where you could add more authors but that was to my blog. Are there any other blogging systems out there that can do what I'm looking for? Thanks.

MT allows for multiple blogs with each user having access to the blogs you assign them to. I don't believe you can set yourself (i.e. the original user) to not have access to the new blogs you create, though I could be wrong (been a while since I've added authors).

Comment

Well how then do you view someone's blog? Going to the URL of the program itself displays only one weblog.

Comment

Dang, you should read the documentation a little more

When you create a new weblog in MT, it allows you to specify a different subdirectory where his blog index file will be located, a different home URL, and different archive folder...

How do you view someone's blog? Go to the directory you specified when you set up that new blog. If your site is www.yoursite.com, then his blog would be located in www.yoursite.com/folder/specified/in/new/weblog ...

So you create the new weblog and add his name as author to that weblog... it's that easy
        OPEN TECH SUPPORT
        "Tech is our middle name!"

Comment

Good place to start: http://www.movabletype.org/docs/mtmanual.html

More specifically here: http://www.movabletype.org/docs/mtma...%20permissions and here: http://www.movabletype.org/docs/mtma...0configuration

Comment

And you can see an example of a "live" version of the blog at http://inspirion.directpixel.com
            :)

Comment

Thanks for the help.

Comment

B2, www.cafelog.com has this possibility. All you have to do is alter the query to only show posts from either a certain userid or certain category id.
                Trent Gillespie Mod Theater Gillespie Photography

Comment

Originally posted by tgillespie
                  B2, www.cafelog.com has this possibility. All you have to do is alter the query to only show posts from either a certain userid or certain category id.
                  MT has this functionality as well.

If you take a look at MT's tag definitions, you will see that it has the potential to power a site such as SitePoint with ease.
                  :)

Comment

SitePoint? SitePoint isn't a blogging site...

Comment

Originally posted by Kings
                      SitePoint? SitePoint isn't a blogging site...
                      I believe he was saying that it could power SitePoint's site without any problems.

Comment

As an example of that (although it's a bit of a mess ATM) you can take a gander at my site: reviews.tubescan.com which is powered by MT. It's not a blog, we're using it as a CMS (which is what MT really is, is a CMS, just with features aimed towards bloggers). We have somewhere around 13 reviewers posting reviews for various shows/seasons. It is all stock MT (and maybe one plugin I think) but no actual code modifications.

Comment

Ah, I see what you mean. MT is pretty powerful then. Might have to try that out some time...

(One question, if my host supports PHP, does it then also support Perl?)

Comment

Normally Perl comes installed with either the operating system (Linux) or Apache.

Comment

Ah, I see what you mean. MT is pretty powerful then. Might have to try that out some time...

Not necessarily, though most hosts have both installed.

Comment