google adsense and vbulletin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not really? It works fine on my board.

Is there a disadvantage to removing session hashes? I don't really know what they are.
    HBO Forum - Discuss Game of Thrones, True Blood, Big Love, Boardwalk Empire, and more!
    Disney Forums - Disney theme parks, vacation, entertainment, and more!
    iLoveTalk - Our general discussion forum.
    VeggieBoards - The largest and most active vegetarian forum!

Comment

Originally posted by Michael2
      Not really? It works fine on my board.

Is there a disadvantage to removing session hashes? I don't really know what they are.
      People with cookies disabled won't be able to use your forums. That's all.

Comment

Originally posted by okrogius
        People with cookies disabled won't be able to use your forums. That's all.
        Wrong.
        Anonymous users who browse with cookies disabled (and no session id via url) will simply not have features like "last posts" etc.

The forums will still work pretty well, and I'm willing to do that trade-off for a couple of hundred bucks per month.
        My open eyes see everything, and you see nothing. . .
        That forum

Comment

It will just remove any personalisation features you have ... wouldn't be such a big deal for anonymous users, altho members who have cookies disabled would have to enter their username/password everytime they post or reply to a message...
          OPEN TECH SUPPORT
          "Tech is our middle name!"

Comment

Originally posted by Tolitz
            It will just remove any personalisation features you have ... wouldn't be such a big deal for anonymous users, altho members who have cookies disabled would have to enter their username/password everytime they post or reply to a message...
            Not, far from true. They woudl have to login on every visit, but not on every consequent post. That's why there is a sessionhash in the url.

Comment

Originally posted by rylin
              basically, you'll want most of your members to *not* have the sessionhash in their url.

After that, it's just a quick hack in admin/sessions.php to make sure unregistered users don't get it either

What I'm using is
              PHP Code:
              if($bbuserinfo['userid'] == 0) {
              $bbuserinfo['nosessionhash'] = 1;
              $session['sessionhash'] = '';

I'm not sure if it's the right way to do it, but it works wonderfully for us
              I only want to remove sessions for guests, and not touch logged in members. What would I change for that?

thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by okrogius
                Not, far from true. They woudl have to login on every visit, but not on every consequent post. That's why there is a sessionhash in the url.
                I was answering this post:

Anonymous users who browse with cookies disabled (and no session id via url) will simply not have features like "last posts" etc.
                which specifically mentions no session hash in the url - I was just making the same point for members
                OPEN TECH SUPPORT
                "Tech is our middle name!"

Comment

If I use adsense on my site, do I get to choose what ads are placed (I'm worried that a competing product or service might be placed).

Comment

If you notice a competing product or site, you can block it from appearing again.

Comment

My site is not listed on Google SE yet but I got accepted to Adsense.
                      I received the Adsense code and the image is not showing but rather a white bar. (http://www.calpolyforum.com above)

I copied and paste the code and rechecked it so there is no missing character.

Do I need to wait a day or two or suppose to be showing now?

Comment

Originally posted by iKwak
                        My site is not listed on Google SE yet but I got accepted to Adsense.
                        I received the Adsense code and the image is not showing but rather a white bar. (http://www.calpolyforum.com above)

I copied and paste the code and rechecked it so there is no missing character.

Do I need to wait a day or two or suppose to be showing now?
                        It should show up now. I looked at your site, it's just as you say, a white box.
                        Computer Help Forum
                        An informed rider makes their first destination the motorcycle forum at rider info.

Comment

Originally posted by noppid
                          It should show up now. I looked at your site, it's just as you say, a white box.

I've copied the Ad-Code and paste it on the header of vBulletin cp.
                          I might have to contact Google on Monday if no one has an idea.

edit: The code starts with <script ...
                          and ends with </script>

And I do not see any image tag within the code. I do see an "src=" tag that ends with .js instead of .jpeg or .gif.
                          Last edited by Kwak; Fri 3 Oct '03, 6:11pm.

Comment

Originally posted by iKwak
                            I've copied the Ad-Code and paste it on the header of vBulletin cp.
                            I might have to contact Google on Monday if no one has an idea.
                            Read the rules on adsense. If you put the code in your header ads will appear on pages that are not allowed. We have it on forum home, forum display, showthread, stats, arcade, irc, and newsportal. I wrote a little php so they won't show in our staff forums since google can't get there.
                            Computer Help Forum
                            An informed rider makes their first destination the motorcycle forum at rider info.

Comment

Originally posted by noppid
                              Read the rules on adsense. If you put the code in your header ads will appear on pages that are not allowed. We have it on forum home, forum display, showthread, stats, arcade, irc, and newsportal. I wrote a little php so they won't show in our staff forums since google can't get there.

I did not remember that part. PM sent.

Comment

basically, you'll want most of your members to *not* have the sessionhash in their url.

After that, it's just a quick hack in admin/sessions.php to make sure unregistered users don't get it either

What I'm using is
                                PHP Code:
                                if($bbuserinfo['userid'] == 0) {
                                $bbuserinfo['nosessionhash'] = 1;
                                $session['sessionhash'] = '';

I'm not sure if it's the right way to do it, but it works wonderfully for us
                                I haver the same problem with google adsense (it only serves public service banners). I put the code above into sessions php and don't notice any difference. Am I doing something wrong?

http://www.tribe.ca

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X