Webservers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Webservers

I'm trying to decide on which webserver brand would be best for our company. Give me your feedback!

-jim
    VA Linux
    27.78%
    Penguin Computing
    5.56%
    Angstrom
    5.56%
    Serve Linux
    11.11%
    Dell PowerEdge
    22.22%
    Other (Please Specify)
    27.78%
    "The dot-com bust has cleared out the carpetbaggers and left the Internet to those who really care about it"
    - Jon Ippolito, new-media curator, Guggenheim Museum

What exactly are you looking for? The actual hardware or the software?

If software most people that run Red Hat 6.2 with Apache on a Pentium III clone machine are very happy.

Comment

Originally posted by Shak
      If software most people that run Red Hat 6.2 with Apache on a Pentium III clone machine are very happy.
      That's me - with 1Gig of ram

Comment

I like the fact that VALinux customizes the Kernel. The drawback to Dell is that they ship Red Hat 7.0. We're looking at a dual 800, with a Gig of RAM, running RH6.2.

-jim
        "The dot-com bust has cleared out the carpetbaggers and left the Internet to those who really care about it"

Comment

I've got a poweredge 4300 and 3 relions from penguin computing (bought it for the load balancer). I gotta say, Dell's over-priced, but they are rock solid. Penguin's servers are probably good too, but I bought the iNode and it came with crap: low-end cas2 non-ecc ram and intel 810 motherboard.

If you have the expertise, I'd suggest you build your own boxes to save a TON of money, but if your company insists, I think Dell's a better way to go.

Think about it, pc/server's are becoming obsolete eveery 2 years and replaced by something much better, and prices are always dropping, so obviously you don't need something that'll last you 20 years. It's different from buying a television or a house.

And besides, how often are you gonna be calling their tech support lines? I've not called Dell nor Penguin once since I got the machines. It's all just simple stuff I can fix myself. The only time I'd ever need them is a hardware failure, which hasn't happened yet.
          Well, there it is.
          - Keeper of the Grove

Comment

I originally wanted the Dell. Our entire company (350+ workstations, file, db, and mail servers) are all Dell. But I don't like the fact they ship with RH7.0, plus their GUI Admin doesn't seem too attractive.

I got looking at the Relions, and I think they're my second choice at this point.

I could build my own, but frankly, I've got too much other crap going on, and they don't pay me enough to deal with it . I'd like to, and I'd prefer to. Maybe that's not a bad idea afterall...

There's just something I like about waiting for UPS to come and opening up that new box though...

-jim

Comment

I would suggest you go with AMD T-bird 1.1ghz's they are relatively cheap and are solid preformers, specially for a webserver.

I believe you can get Dual 1.1ghz Cpu's, 1 gig of ram and Ultra 3 Scsi (45gig) for about $2500-3000.

It won't have sound/video but you don't need them to be high preformance anyhow.

** I would stay away from .0 and .1 versions of Red Hat they somehow seem to have the most problems. I still have a 5.2 box that has not been down in 3 years and still runs like a champ.

ps you could always pay me to build it and ship it

Comment

I'm building my own. Dual Athlon 1100s with 1GB of memory and whatever drives. With that kind of memory, there should be no problem with the disk cache getting anything but hits.
                http://racing.kos.net
                http://www.rumour.com/

Comment

Sun Netra X1's:
                  400MHz Ultrasparc IIe, 256KB cache
                  128 to 1GB of PC 133 RAM (regular PC ram)
                  20 to 40GB EIDE storage ( 2 x 20GB max)
                  Dual port 10/100 NIC
                  Price: less than $1000 for the basic config!!

They have the benefit of the UltraSparcIIe CPU, which while on the surface looks "slow" (don't fall into the clock-speed trap) is ultra-reliable and can handle heavy loads.

Unfortunately, they come out in March, so we have to wait almost a month before we can buy 4 of them.
                  Matt
                  Sybase DBA / PHP fanatic
                  Sybase v. MySQL v. Oracle | Why I don't like MySQL | Download Sybase TODAY! | Visit DBForums.com!

Comment

You bet, they rock!

Hey, what country are you in... I might like to quote on those Sun boxen. Our mail server is a Sun box and for such a little machine (Ultra 250, 1GB memory, 10 drives) it is doing unbelievable I/O for 10,000 mailboxes without any seeming CPU use. The machine always seems ultra-quick.
                    http://racing.kos.net
                    http://www.rumour.com/

Comment

We're in the US -- we were originally looking at:
                      two Dell Poweredge 2450's (dual PIII 1GHz, 2GB RAM, etc)
                      and one Dell Poweredge 6450 (quad PIII Xeon 700, 2MB cache, 4GB ram)
                      Cisco Local Director 430 HA load balancer

However, I think this would be a better solution:
                      4 Netra X1s as web servers (400MHz CPU, 1GB RAM, 2 x 18GB EIDE)
                      DNS round-robin combined with software clustering / load balancing (http://www.polyserve.com)

Database Machine:
                      Sun E420R
                      4 x 450MHz CPU with 4MB ECache
                      2GB RAM
                      9.1 GB SCSI drive

connected to:
                      A1000 external RAID array of 5 x 9.1GB 10K RPM Ultra SCSI III drives in RAID 1 0

Surprisingly enough the small costs of the Netras offset the high cost of the 420R so that the two solutions are pretty much the same price, but the expandability of the Sun machines would ultimately make it a better solution for growth in the future.
                      Matt
                      Sybase DBA / PHP fanatic
                      Sybase v. MySQL v. Oracle | Why I don't like MySQL | Download Sybase TODAY! | Visit DBForums.com!

Comment

matt that's alot of power there

anyone checked out www.pogolinux.com for their mini pro 1Us and www.compunite.com ?
                        :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
                        :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
                        :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

We use Apache.com for our server needs....they have been great!

Two servers so far in the last year:
                          1 Dual PIII 850's
                          1 Dual PIII 1.0 Ghz's

Both over 1.0 GB of RAM +
                          PaintballCity.com
                          VB Board of the Month: October

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...
                          X