Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you do to show appreciation for your moderators?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you do to show appreciation for your moderators?

I often struggle with this. We can't afford to pay our moderators so I'm always looking for ways to say thanks other than "Thanks!". Know what I mean?

So far what we do is give them:

*a free, ongoing mag sub or book published by Mothering. (our forums are the online community of www.mothering.com which publishes a natioanl magazine)

*free advertising in our rotation banner buttons at the top of the forum

*free board signature advertising; members pay $100 a year

* hand done artwork get well, congratulations, condolences etc., cards sent by snail mail

We are discussing doing something in the print mag to recognize their efforts and work.

Anyone else have a special way to say thanks to a moderator?
    Eat Your Veggies

You are doing better then I am, all I have done is give a free 10MB email box....

Comment

well, I don't whip their backs for a change. That always seems to make them happy.

Comment

My mods moderate because they like the community, and would like an opportunity to improve it.

They're not getting compensated at the moment. Of course, I doubt they would mind if I suddenly started mailing them $100 checks every month.
        :)

Comment

Currently I don't have any moderators. However when I do acquire moderators I will do something for them because my site is one that is going to require a lot of moderation (see my sig). I don't know what I'll do just yet, but I'll think of something. In the mean time it seems like you're doing a great job so far!

Comment

Mine're easy to please. I just give them lots of power so they can do a good job. Frankly they've been somewhat slack of late anyway... except for one who I just made an administrator, and seeing as he's a real life friend it's easy to give any sort of thankyou I want.

That doesn't really help the topic though. Well, naturally they get a better quota of stuff than everyone else. Big PM allowances and so forth.

I don't know. I have such a quality set of rules the place usually runs itself and they don't really have much to do.

Comment

Not when it starts it won't Randon3k.

Let it start and grow, then as it gets bigger members will start to stand out as the responsible ones who you could appoint as moderators when/ if it becomes needed

And if its polictal discussion I cant see it needing much moderation as that would remove the whole point of it :?

Comment

I think you're doing quite nicely for your mods, Cynthia.

At ts3 we give mods custom avatars (members don't get custom avs) and staff forum access (a duh, but it's nice place to relax for just staff members as well as discuss business) .. .and that's about it.

Comment

Send them a nice birthday card or Christmas card. Hand write a thank you note, and make sure it gets there early.

Last year, I received over 20 Christmas cards from my forum members, i was really awe struck, and hope to send out Christmas cards to all my donating members this year. It will cost me less than $.50 per member, but the impact is worth much much more.
                  Bike Forums.net

Comment

Originally posted by Divine Coding
                    Not when it starts it won't Randon3k.
                    Let it start and grow, then as it gets bigger members will start to stand out as the responsible ones who you could appoint as moderators when/ if it becomes needed

And if its polictal discussion I cant see it needing much moderation as that would remove the whole point of it :?[/QUOTE] Yes, there are bound to be a lot of mature members however you're still going to have the little kiddies that don't know how to have an intelligent adult conversation. We'll have to see what crowds the forum attracts.

Comment

At the moment I have a link in the footer of my forums to their websites. I've offered to add their banners to my ad rotation, but none of them ever got back to me with one to add. I reckon they just like giving a helping hand and don't expect much in return. Pity everyone in the world didn't feel the same!

Anyhoo, if any of my mods are members here and read this thread - THANK YOU FOR BEING A MOD ON MY FORUMS

Comment

At WDF, they get free WDFplus membership, plus they play key roles in certain things like contests and monthly mailings. I couldn't run WDF without them. If I ever started to make a profit from WDF I might consider paying them but that's a long way away.
                        --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
                        Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
                        vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

Originally posted by Zelda-King
                          Mine're easy to please. I just give them lots of power so they can do a good job. Frankly they've been somewhat slack of late anyway... except for one who I just made an administrator, and seeing as he's a real life friend it's easy to give any sort of thankyou I want.

That doesn't really help the topic though. Well, naturally they get a better quota of stuff than everyone else. Big PM allowances and so forth.

I don't know. I have such a quality set of rules the place usually runs itself and they don't really have much to do.
                          What he said, except for the RL part.

If I were running a commercial site where there were thousands of users running amok, I would probably compensate the moderators monetarily based on how many hours they put in.
                          Last edited by fury; Fri 11 Jul '03, 5:05pm.

Comment

I give any moderator who desires one an email (their name/username @teenadvicecenter.com) and run most ideas by them and I value their feedback.

However, most considerate it to be more of an honor to be a mod...

Comment

I know vbulletin.com pays their moderators. I was just wondering, are there any forums out there that actually pay their moderators?
                              Sportstwo.com

Comment

Working...
                              X