Copyright Infringement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Copyright Infringement?

i run a bball messageboard (currently phpbb, soon to be vb) and a ton of people post complete articles from the net. right now i make sure that they at least cite their sources...but i'm wondering, do any of you guys know the legalities behind this? is this copyright infringement? if so, have any of you (or heard of someone) that got busted for something like this?

If they write their own, why would it be copyright infringment?
    Running vB since 4-14-2002

Comment

Originally posted by IDN
      If they write their own, why would it be copyright infringment?
      whoops, thats my fault i didn't make it clear enough...but they cut & paste articles from such places as ESPN.com

Comment

Generally not legal, even with citations. Excerpting and pointing to the original article is generally legal and certainly the more moral way to do it.

Comment

That is right.

You can 'quote' a paragraph or a line of text and then point out where to find the full source.

Comment

Originally posted by ragintajin
            whoops, thats my fault i didn't make it clear enough...but they cut & paste articles from such places as ESPN.com
            The most acceptable way is to quote basically the first paragraph, or the first two or three sentences, and then provide a link to the article.

If you're quoting more than that, you'll be steping into some legality issues with copyright issues.
            :)

Comment

What about contacting these sites personally and perhaps asking to use their articles? I mean would you even get a response ?
              Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

From places like CNN and ESPN, you'll get a response if you're lucky. Chances are, you won't.
                :)

Comment

Read up on 'fair use' here: http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.html
                  Raz - KMC Forums

Comment

Working...
                  X