Selling a complete website

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Selling a complete website

I'm thinking about selling my website. It has the usual - forums, news, league tables, etc - a lot of custom programming and pre-made purchased scripts make up the site. The forums themselves have just reached 500,000 posts, and the e-store (when run correctly) more than pays for the dedicated server the site is run from.

If exploited, the site is in a good position to run as a commercial venture, especially for a supplier of football gear - although we do have a supplier already for the store, and we are on a commission.

Where would I begin to look for someone to purchase the site? I know it must have some value, especially to someone with a football background or the time to learn. Also, what kind of price / deal do you think I would be able to get?

Thanks

A possibility is to try and sell on eBay? Just a thought as I've seen sites sold on there for huge amounts

Comment

I'm interested
      Site Administrator :: LifeStyleX Community

Comment

Originally posted by InSite
        I'm thinking about selling my website. It has the usual - forums, news, league tables, etc - a lot of custom programming and pre-made purchased scripts make up the site. The forums themselves have just reached 500,000 posts, and the e-store (when run correctly) more than pays for the dedicated server the site is run from.

If exploited, the site is in a good position to run as a commercial venture, especially for a supplier of football gear - although we do have a supplier already for the store, and we are on a commission.

Where would I begin to look for someone to purchase the site? I know it must have some value, especially to someone with a football background or the time to learn. Also, what kind of price / deal do you think I would be able to get?

Thanks
        May we ask why you are selling?

Satan

Comment

Originally posted by hellsatan
          May we ask why you are selling?

Satan
          I agree. If your site is in such a good situation, why do you want to sell it?

Comment

The reason I am thinking of selling it is because I want to focus on other projects. I started the site a long time ago, and it has undergone many redesigns to get where it is, but it is time for me to move on.

I am not a huge football fan either, the only reason I based a site on football was because a lot of my online friends at the time were footie fans. If it was a different type of forum then perhaps I would be interested. It is probably my lack of interest in the subject matter that has helped the site to grow, as it has meant I've spent more time building the site than just posting on it.

The e-store was opened at christmas, and was my last big project on the site. I had a friend who agreed to run it for me, and the idea was it would raise enough to pay for the dedicated server. Unfortunately, I think because of our google ranking, the e-store was more "successful" than either of us could cope with, and within a few months we couldnt keep up with the number of orders that were coming in. We have closed the e-store since in an effort to catch up and process all the orders, and I have struck a deal with the supplier so that they will maintain the e-store section completely once we re-open.

Anyways - that's a little more history than you asked for, but hopefully it puts you in the picture as to why I would be prepared to sell the site - on the basis I'm completely stressed out with it, and want to do other things

Comment

It was what I thought, but wasn't sure

Satan

Comment

Are the league tables etc. custom programming? They are nice
                Last edited by Joe Page; Tue 8 Jul '03, 2:42pm.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Page
                  Are the league tables etc. custom programming? they are nice
                  Thanks They started life as CCLeague, but I updated them to what they are now...

Comment

Very nice site. If I had money I'd buy it :P

Comment

Originally posted by Mijae
                      Yeah, I probably would too

Comment

Originally posted by Mijae
                        Thanks for the compliments

So does anyone know where I can go to find people with money?

Comment

Pfft, I could buy it, but you will probably charge too much :P Plus I am going to upgrade my PC, so cant.

You should try eBay, it works really well.

Comment

As N9ne said - eBay.

Comment

Hmm - eBay it is then. What kind of minimum should I set, and where should I start the bidding?

Sorry - I've not used eBay before to sell anything, especially something that has been so close to my heart in the past!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X