Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Watch out blind people may sue you vB admins!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
    In the United States, it is illegal to restrict access to someone based on a disability if your site, building, store is publicly accessible.

If you don't want to comply with these laws then you need to make sure your site is not accessible to people in the United States. I mean, I suggested a solution in my first post of this thread that not only would solve the problem of blind people registering on your site but presents a thoughtful and caring alternative to registration. I don't know about you but putting a form on my website costs me about $35.00. That is one hour of my time to create everything needed to process the form and put it online. Other than that there are not extraordinary costs involved. If you can't afford one hour of your time to do this, then you are probably in the wrong business anyway.
    So people with no legs should be able to sue car makers for not catering to them and win? Should deaf people sue radio stations? And how about newspapers getting sued by blind people?

Fact is, when you are disabled, you have to accept that life will have some limitations. With the vB go-around, it seems pretty simple yes. But what if it were something more complicated? Something that'd require so much more programming or manpower effort that it'd make a business go bankrupt?

I'm all for helping disabled people, but sometimes I think it this whole thing goes too far.
    Well, there it is.
    - Keeper of the Grove

Comment

i dont see whats so ammusing bout this thread....my mother is leagally blind since she was born and she had a rough life

Comment

What do you mean by "amusing?" It's not like they're poking fun at blind people or anything, they're just having a discussion.
        http://www.arsegaming.com/dice/index.php/stuff.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by merk
          It wouldnt be hard to add "sound" technology to the image verification so that blind people could hear what they need to type, but then youd get in trouble from the deaf rights protectors?

Lacrosse Boy: I have a blind lady that surfs one of my sites - she does it just fine, its quite amazing seeing her doing it, and unless you can read 100wpm+ id have to say shes faster than you.

Whats your website?

Comment

Originally posted by Skeptical
            So people with no legs should be able to sue car makers for not catering to them and win?
            There are special buttons that can be installed on a car's steering wheel for proper operation of the accelerator and brake. Since this is not a reasonably easy accommodation due to the way autos are manufactured, the purchase and installation of these parts has to be done by the person with the disability or somebody they hire.
            Should deaf people sue radio stations?
            Lots of radio and TV stations offer transcripts of their shows. That is a reasonable accommodation for persons with disabilities. No case there, and no reason to sue either.
            And how about newspapers getting sued by blind people?
            Newspapers offer braille and large-print editions all the time. Again, a reasonable accommodation.
            Fact is, when you are disabled, you have to accept that life will have some limitations. With the vB go-around, it seems pretty simple yes. But what if it were something more complicated? Something that'd require so much more programming or manpower effort that it'd make a business go bankrupt?

I'm all for helping disabled people, but sometimes I think it this whole thing goes too far.
            Spoken like somebody who's never known another with a disability.

In the US, the ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) requires businesses to make reasonable accommodations to ensure that those with disabilities have equal access to their products and services offered. If something is just way too much work and can be proven to be an insurmountable task (i.e. something that would bankrupt a company), then a judge will likely rule that a business doesn't have to do it. However, I don't think Jelsoft would or should try to use that to defend the captcha image, since it wouldn't work (any web developer with some kind of accessible coding experience would know that it doesn't take too long to implement an alternative method of registration). Read up on disabilities and accessibility in media sometime; it really is a fascinating field.

Comment

It's not hard to make things easier for people and there is nothing wrong with people wanting equal treatment as everyone else either. Just because they are blind or in a wheel chair doesn't make the rights they deserve any less than mine or yours.
              You cannot tell me you haven't tried to make your forum more user friendly, in hopes that even if someone was using a forum for the first time they could understand what to do easily just to improve membership. It is nothing different.

Got a Boxer?
              BoxerTalk

Comment

So people with no legs should be able to sue car makers for not catering to them and win? Should deaf people sue radio stations? And how about newspapers getting sued by blind people?

quoted for reiteration... some good points there...

anyway, I always find that people resort to ad misericordiam arguments even when the premise seems to be made fairly obtuse... there are tradeoffs to be done here, and while the simple solutions must be adhered to, trying to bend over and sacrifice productivity over it is also unfair...
                Last edited by Tolitz; Thu 23 Sep '04, 1:57am.
                OPEN TECH SUPPORT
                "Tech is our middle name!"

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                  Could be warded off very easily.

Look at the first page in the registration process where the rules are posted. Simply put in a statement that says something like:
                  "This site uses an image verification process during registration. If you are unable to take advantage of this registration process for any reason please fill out this alternate registration form and we will process it manually within the next 48-72 hours".

That statement should have a normal link to an email form that is available to the IP once every 36 hours and it emails the information to the administrator. Then you aren't excluding them and bots can't flood registration.
                  Are you volunteering to write the code for this feature in the upcoming vB 3.1 Wayne?
                  ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                  Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by Tolitz
                    quoted for reiteration... some good points there...

anyway, I always find that people resort to ad misericordiam arguments even when the premise seems obviously obtuse...
                    I agree, it is simply not my responsiblity to take care of people because they have some form of disability. They are the ones that have to accept how they where born or what caused them to become disabled and relize it can prevent them from doing certain things.

Fact is it is hard enough to keep up with myself, much less the rest of the world.

Comment

Actually, once I saw a web site (can't remember which one), that offered a WAV file along with image verification, thus blind people can hear the image instead. I think this is a lot neater than the prolonged process of sending a handwritten form.
                      HFT Online - Professional computer help ... with a personal touch

Comment

Hotmail / MSN has it. Its very cool but I've never managed to find a free C++ file to merge multiple wav files together, else i'd have used it
                        Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

I have 25% eye sight with glasses on, vB and me have no issues.

Comment

Something I have added to our board to account for this, is appending:

If you are a visually impaired user and cannot see the image, please contact us directly through the our <a href="sendmessage.php" title="Forum contact form">Contact</a> form so we can make special arrangements for your registration.
                            ...to the registration message for the enter_text_image_right phrase. VB might consider revising this phrase so it ships with something similar by default.
                            "I can't seem to bring myself to say, 'Well, I guess I'll be toddling along.'
                            It isn't that I can't toddle. It's that I can't guess I'll toddle."

--Robert Benchley (1889-1945)

Comment

I have 25% eye sight with glasses on, vB and me have no issues.
                              My vision is 40/100 w/no glasses.

Got a Boxer?
                              BoxerTalk

Comment

There are braille internet browser out there as well, it dosn't have to be audio.
                                I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X