Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Watch out blind people may sue you vB admins!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watch out blind people may sue you vB admins!

Blind people suing websites that use image verification to ward off bots:
    http://news.com.com/2100-1032_3-1022...g=fd_lede2_hed

This is really lame.
    Well, there it is.
    - Keeper of the Grove

It is VERY lame.

How could you use a bulletin board when you are blind anyways? I can just imagine how long it would take for them to have to listen even to the very top part of a Bulletin board.
    | DiscBurn | CD & DVD Replication services, film and VHS to DVD, and duplication equipment
    |
    Disc On Demand | Short-run CD & DVD duplication... all online.

Comment

Could be warded off very easily.

Look at the first page in the registration process where the rules are posted. Simply put in a statement that says something like:
      "This site uses an image verification process during registration. If you are unable to take advantage of this registration process for any reason please fill out this alternate registration form and we will process it manually within the next 48-72 hours".

That statement should have a normal link to an email form that is available to the IP once every 36 hours and it emails the information to the administrator. Then you aren't excluding them and bots can't flood registration.
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Originally posted by Lacrosse Boy
        It is VERY lame.

How could you use a bulletin board when you are blind anyways? I can just imagine how long it would take for them to have to listen even to the very top part of a Bulletin board.
        Your statement is very uneducated and isn't really called for. How fast do you read? How fast is the language on a television program? Probably comparable. Almost the same would go for modern screen-readers.

Wayne Luke
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

It wouldnt be hard to add "sound" technology to the image verification so that blind people could hear what they need to type, but then youd get in trouble from the deaf rights protectors?

Lacrosse Boy: I have a blind lady that surfs one of my sites - she does it just fine, its quite amazing seeing her doing it, and unless you can read 100wpm+ id have to say shes faster than you.

Comment

Originally posted by merk
            It wouldnt be hard to add "sound" technology to the image verification so that blind people could hear what they need to type, but then youd get in trouble from the deaf rights protectors?
            They already have the image verification
            --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
            Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
            vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

uhm, it doesn't matter if it's hard to read right? I mean, it can be plain text put in a image instead of fuzzy backgrounds and stuff right?
              A bullet may have your name on it, but shrapnel is addressed "to whom it may concern"

Comment

Originally posted by DarkSSJ3
                uhm, it doesn't matter if it's hard to read right? I mean, it can be plain text put in a image instead of fuzzy backgrounds and stuff right?
                Bots can read it too then.

OCR software is getting better and faster.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                  Your statement is very uneducated and isn't really called for. How fast do you read? How fast is the language on a television program? Probably comparable. Almost the same would go for modern screen-readers.
                  I didn't mean to come across as "uncalled for." I just cannot imagine using a bulletin board as a blind person. Imagine how much stuff you would have to listen to to get to the bulk of the message. For instance, I skip over information like when the poster registered, post counts, etc. That was what I was refering too.

Also, those "voices": I can not imagine them to be very good. Now, it would be one thing if it was someone like Casey Kasem's voice they were doing, but we really are not at that point in this "reading" software yet.

I hope that this made it more clear for you.
                  | DiscBurn | CD & DVD Replication services, film and VHS to DVD, and duplication equipment
                  |
                  Disc On Demand | Short-run CD & DVD duplication... all online.

Comment

I couldn't imagine cleaning house, shopping, getting dressed properly, walking the dog and many other things if I was blind. Yet, these people do it everyday.

When you lose a sense such as sight or hearing, your body compensates and you relearn how to do basic life. I am sure that those who are blind would love to see one sunset or even the color blue once in their life but they get by and can accomplish a lot of things. I know a legally blind person who can change the oil and perform a tune-up on a car, and he does it better and faster than I can. No reason for him to know how to do this because he can't drive and doesn't own a car of his own but he learned how to do it for his own reasons.

Wayne Luke
                    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

I'm almost legally blind, too. Of course, I wear like 20" think glasses to compensate.
                      :)

Comment

This is just ridiculous.... What IS the world comign to eh?
                        Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

You can sue anyone for anything....but that doesn't mean you'll win.
                          Webmaster / Administrator
                          www.MegaGames.com
                          www.MGForums.com

Comment

Originally posted by Lacrosse Boy
                            I didn't mean to come across as "uncalled for." I just cannot imagine using a bulletin board as a blind person. Imagine how much stuff you would have to listen to to get to the bulk of the message. For instance, I skip over information like when the poster registered, post counts, etc. That was what I was refering too.
                            With CSS2, there are audio properties that can allow you to set certain things to not be read by website reading software.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                              I couldn't imagine cleaning house, shopping, getting dressed properly, walking the dog and many other things if I was blind. Yet, these people do it everyday.

When you lose a sense such as sight or hearing, your body compensates and you relearn how to do basic life. I am sure that those who are blind would love to see one sunset or even the color blue once in their life but they get by and can accomplish a lot of things. I know a legally blind person who can change the oil and perform a tune-up on a car, and he does it better and faster than I can. No reason for him to know how to do this because he can't drive and doesn't own a car of his own but he learned how to do it for his own reasons.
                              overreacting a bit, don't ya think?
                              http://www.ironmagazine.com - blog
                              http://www.ironmagazineforums.com - forums
                              http://www.ironmaglabs.com - supplements

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X