X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MRGTB
    replied
    Originally posted by kineda View Post
    Whoa... I never noticed their pricing structure. How can they charge so much compared to vB? There must be something that justifies it right? Why would so many large companies(http://www.jivesoftware.com/customers.jsp) choose them over vB?
    Because as AWS said, large companies need a solution that can handle very large users better online at any one time. And it does that.

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    The Jive importer we have is for version 4.0.0.

Jive Forums
    Tier = 2
    Source version support in ImpEx = 4.0.0
    • Import User
    • Import Forum
    • Import Thread
    • Import Post

For future reference, please start your own thread rather than reply to one that is 5 years old.

Leave a comment:

• gb1200
    replied
    We currently us Jive forums at our company and the users hate it. We are considering using vBulletin right now. I just need to see if there is an importer from Jive 5.5 to vBulletin. Does anyone know? Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• Martz
    replied
    Originally posted by kineda
    Whoa... I never noticed their pricing structure. How can they charge so much compared to vB? There must be something that justifies it right? Why would so many large companies(http://www.jivesoftware.com/customers.jsp) choose them over vB?

I still have nothing solid that says why vB is actually better? I'd really like to push for vB but it doesn't seem that there would be any difference in choice. There must be a reason everyone here chooses vB over them besides price???

From experience I know vB is robust in every imaginable way I can think of, but how does it differ from jive? Can anyone answer this? Is jive just as good as vB except that it's more expensive? That might not be enough to sway their decisions.
    People have already said it's Jive is Enterprise class forum/knowledge base/im software which will scale to a lot of users. It also works with other backends and not just mySQL, which gives you the chance to intergrate with any existing system or utilise existing database technology.

You've already said that you don't expect there to be more than 100-200 users. From what we have all seen around here, vB will scale up to about 1000 concurrentl users given the right choice of hardware and proper setup/configuration.

However if your company hopes to launch something so special it may attract 10's of thousands of users online concurrently then you are going to be stuffed when you find mySQL cannot cope. This is where the other more established and respected database backends come in to allow your company to scale the database using Oracle clusters, for example. If your going to be doing that, $7k for the forum license (per server!) will be the least of your worries while you deal with Big Boy Database licensing.

You obviously want to use vB 2/3 because you have are familar with it and know it is good software. The question you should be asking is "How much pain could this cause me if I go with vB and we hit the big time". It would make or break your on-line project.

Leave a comment:

• kineda
    replied

I still have nothing solid that says why vB is actually better? I'd really like to push for vB but it doesn't seem that there would be any difference in choice. There must be a reason everyone here chooses vB over them besides price???

From experience I know vB is robust in every imaginable way I can think of, but how does it differ from jive? Can anyone answer this? Is jive just as good as vB except that it's more expensive? That might not be enough to sway their decisions.

Leave a comment:

• Chris Stewart
    replied
    Originally posted by Wayne Luke
    Hmm.. I couldn't load their demos on my browser so it means something.
    JSPs and Servlets are server side, just like PHP. No processing happens on the client. Applets are a different story, but I saw none of them in their forum software.

Leave a comment:

• Sheddtech
    replied
    JSP should have no bearing on the client's computer.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    Originally posted by Chris Stewart
    Incorrect. JSP/Servlets are server side, the client browser means nothing. It's the same concept of PHP/ASP/etc.

Leave a comment:

• Chris Stewart
    replied
    kineda, if your company pays that much for forum software, they are stupid. vB3 is by far the best "bang-for-the-buck" forum software out there.

http://www.jivesoftware.com/products/pricing.jsp

Leave a comment:

• Chris Stewart
    replied
    Well since it is Java based, you would be restricting to those people who Java installed on their machines. This leaves out most users with Windows XP. Even if they have WIndows, you have to make sure it the Sun runtime and not the Windows Java Virtual Machine... Seems like a hassle when other systems work in any browser without plugins at a lower total cost of ownership.
    Incorrect. JSP/Servlets are server side, the client browser means nothing. It's the same concept of PHP/ASP/etc.

Leave a comment:

• kineda
    replied
    What are the negatives?

I don't believe the site will have 1000 people on it at the same time. There's going to be 50,000 users in the system, and most likely 100-200 people using it at any given moment.

Leave a comment:

• AWS
    replied
    Possitive are you have your choice of backend. Mysql, msql, oracle, ingress or any other db.
    It scales very well and is server friendly.
    The forum they have for support is out of the box look. You can make it look any way you like, even make it look like vb if you wish, but, it isn't as easy as editing templates in vb.

Look at this way. If the site you will use the forum on is going to be heavily used then go with Jive. If not go with vb. If you want to run the forum with a backend that is less intense on a server than mysql then use Jive. If your limited to mysql then use vb, unless again this site will have heavy usage.

Yes. Open topic is based on the same technology, java servlets and xml to customize and onkly runs on Oracle. Open Topic has been arround longer is a hosted app geared towards large sites. Jive can be downloaded and installed on your server as long as you have java servlets installed and can run on any db.
    Last edited by AWS; Wed 2 Jul '03, 2:47pm.

Leave a comment:

• kineda
    replied
    Originally posted by AWS
    If you are familiar with Open Topic by Infopop then this is pretty much the same except you install it on your server where Open Topic is a hosted app.
    I love vBulletin, but, if you run a extremely high traffic site, by high traffic I mean thousands of users online at a time continually, then this is the bbs system to use. It is extremely server friendly. Server side java servlets are very easy on resources.
    As far as customizing the look it isn't that bad.
    I have this package installed locally running with an Oracle backend.

Lets not turn this thread into a which is better thread. I love vb and thats what I choose to run. If I had a extreme high traffic site I would be running Jive for sure.
    So OpenTopic and Jive are similar in the way they work in the backend? The frontend features of Jive don't look very robust compared to vB.

I'm not trying to turn it into which is better thread, but I do need to know the positives and negatives of each. So far, it doesn't seem like there's any solid differences between the two except for platform. Does anyone have anything solid I can work with?

Leave a comment:

• AWS
    replied
    If you are familiar with Open Topic by Infopop then this is pretty much the same except you install it on your server where Open Topic is a hosted app.
    I love vBulletin, but, if you run a extremely high traffic site, by high traffic I mean thousands of users online at a time continually, then this is the bbs system to use. It is extremely server friendly. Server side java servlets are very easy on resources.
    As far as customizing the look it isn't that bad.
    I have this package installed locally running with an Oracle backend.

Lets not turn this thread into a which is better thread. I love vb and thats what I choose to run. If I had a extreme high traffic site I would be running Jive for sure.

Leave a comment:

• Game Wizards
    replied
    vBulletin would be much easier to edit, hack and style, I would have thought so.

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X