Anyone heard of Jive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are the negatives?

I don't believe the site will have 1000 people on it at the same time. There's going to be 50,000 users in the system, and most likely 100-200 people using it at any given moment.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
      Well since it is Java based, you would be restricting to those people who Java installed on their machines. This leaves out most users with Windows XP. Even if they have WIndows, you have to make sure it the Sun runtime and not the Windows Java Virtual Machine... Seems like a hassle when other systems work in any browser without plugins at a lower total cost of ownership.
      Incorrect. JSP/Servlets are server side, the client browser means nothing. It's the same concept of PHP/ASP/etc.
      Console Racing Review

Comment

kineda, if your company pays that much for forum software, they are stupid. vB3 is by far the best "bang-for-the-buck" forum software out there.

http://www.jivesoftware.com/products/pricing.jsp
        Console Racing Review

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Stewart
          Incorrect. JSP/Servlets are server side, the client browser means nothing. It's the same concept of PHP/ASP/etc.
          Hmm.. I couldn't load their demos on my browser so it means something.
          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

JSP should have no bearing on the client's computer.
            Shedd Technologies International
            WWW.STI.BZ[email protected]
            Web Development Services & Products
            www.dlman.com – vBulletin Integrated Digital Product Delivery System

Comment

JSPs and Servlets are server side, just like PHP. No processing happens on the client. Applets are a different story, but I saw none of them in their forum software.
              Console Racing Review

Comment

Whoa... I never noticed their pricing structure. How can they charge so much compared to vB? There must be something that justifies it right? Why would so many large companies(http://www.jivesoftware.com/customers.jsp) choose them over vB?

I still have nothing solid that says why vB is actually better? I'd really like to push for vB but it doesn't seem that there would be any difference in choice. There must be a reason everyone here chooses vB over them besides price???

From experience I know vB is robust in every imaginable way I can think of, but how does it differ from jive? Can anyone answer this? Is jive just as good as vB except that it's more expensive? That might not be enough to sway their decisions.

Comment

Originally posted by kineda
                  Whoa... I never noticed their pricing structure. How can they charge so much compared to vB? There must be something that justifies it right? Why would so many large companies(http://www.jivesoftware.com/customers.jsp) choose them over vB?

I still have nothing solid that says why vB is actually better? I'd really like to push for vB but it doesn't seem that there would be any difference in choice. There must be a reason everyone here chooses vB over them besides price???

From experience I know vB is robust in every imaginable way I can think of, but how does it differ from jive? Can anyone answer this? Is jive just as good as vB except that it's more expensive? That might not be enough to sway their decisions.
                  People have already said it's Jive is Enterprise class forum/knowledge base/im software which will scale to a lot of users. It also works with other backends and not just mySQL, which gives you the chance to intergrate with any existing system or utilise existing database technology.

You've already said that you don't expect there to be more than 100-200 users. From what we have all seen around here, vB will scale up to about 1000 concurrentl users given the right choice of hardware and proper setup/configuration.

However if your company hopes to launch something so special it may attract 10's of thousands of users online concurrently then you are going to be stuffed when you find mySQL cannot cope. This is where the other more established and respected database backends come in to allow your company to scale the database using Oracle clusters, for example. If your going to be doing that, $7k for the forum license (per server!) will be the least of your worries while you deal with Big Boy Database licensing.

You obviously want to use vB 2/3 because you have are familar with it and know it is good software. The question you should be asking is "How much pain could this cause me if I go with vB and we hit the big time". It would make or break your on-line project.
                  HP DL-380 G6, 2x E5520, 28GB RAM, 4x300GB SAS, VMWare ESXi
                  -
                  Unreal Tournament : Assault forums - irc://irc.utassault.net:6667 -

Comment

We currently us Jive forums at our company and the users hate it. We are considering using vBulletin right now. I just need to see if there is an importer from Jive 5.5 to vBulletin. Does anyone know? Thanks.

Comment

The Jive importer we have is for version 4.0.0.

Jive Forums
                      Tier = 2
                      Source version support in ImpEx = 4.0.0
                      • Import User
                      • Import Forum
                      • Import Thread
                      • Import Post

For future reference, please start your own thread rather than reply to one that is 5 years old.
                      Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by kineda View Post
                        Because as AWS said, large companies need a solution that can handle very large users better online at any one time. And it does that.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X