Anyone heard of Jive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone heard of Jive?

We're about to implement forums for an online community of teachers.

I've personally used vBulletin for 2 years now, and it's the best forum software I can think of(I used ubb for 2 years before vb).

Management is considering Jive software(www.jivesoftware.com). It's based on Java and not PHP.

Can anyone tell me any experience they've had with this software? Is it template driven, how are the admin options, etc? Speed of the forums, scalability? I need all the +'s/-'s so that I can convince them that vb is the best solution their is for forum software.

One thing Jive seems to have that vBulletin does though, is an "instant messaging" application. Has anyone use this either?

no idea wouldnt it be better going to their community site and asking this???

Comment

Originally posted by phill2003
      no idea wouldnt it be better going to their community site and asking this???
      I'd actually like to hear it from my fellow vBulletin owners. I tried searching for comparisons on Jive, but it seems they delete anything with the word vBulletin in it. Either that, or no one talks about vbulletin.

Comment

Jive is powered by JSP, which is in general more expensive to maintain than PHP. The tools are free, but it's just a b**** to use them unless you enjoy constantly editing XML files to get your pages to load.
        --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
        Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
        vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

Well since it is Java based, you would be restricting to those people who Java installed on their machines. This leaves out most users with Windows XP. Even if they have WIndows, you have to make sure it the Sun runtime and not the Windows Java Virtual Machine... Seems like a hassle when other systems work in any browser without plugins at a lower total cost of ownership.
          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
            Well since it is Java based, you would be restricting to those people who Java installed on their machines. This leaves out most users with Windows XP. Even if they have WIndows, you have to make sure it the Sun runtime and not the Windows Java Virtual Machine... Seems like a hassle when other systems work in any browser without plugins at a lower total cost of ownership.
            I didn't realize that it requires Java to run? Doesn't the Java-based code just mean that it can be run on any kind of server setup? The actual pages itself are served in JSP correct?

Quoting from Jive's site:
            "The Jive Forums 3 default skin requires a modern web browser for optimal usage. At a minimum, clients should use Internet Explorer 5.x or better, Mozilla 1.x or better, Netscape 6.x or better, or Opera 5.x or better. "

Thanks for the input. I just need to understand the drawbacks clearly, so that I can explain it to the others.

Comment

Hi!
              It looks like it is a JSP application, so no - it would not require Java on your clients computers - you just need a Java application server on your HTTP server.

Hope this helps.
              Shedd Technologies International
              WWW.STI.BZ[email protected]
              Web Development Services & Products
              www.dlman.com – vBulletin Integrated Digital Product Delivery System

Comment

So the drawback that it needs to run on a Java enabled server really doesn't make a difference to clients.

My next question then would be - Is it more difficult to maintain a Java Application server than a MySQL server? Running MySQL for the past two years has been pretty much a piece of cake. No problems with setup or backup maintence.

Would the PHP/MySQL combo run faster than the JAVA/JSP combo?

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                  It's server-side Java, not client-side.

Yes, PHP/MySQL would probably run faster on the same set of hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by filburt1
                    It's server-side Java, not client-side.

Yes, PHP/MySQL would probably run faster on the same set of hardware.
                    Have any of you actually tried the software before? Anything that stands out in particular compared to vB?

Filburt - Why is it more expensive to maintain?

Comment

It tends to need more powerful hardware and not as many people know JSP versus PHP, at least in setting up and maintaining it.

Comment

vBulletin would be much easier to edit, hack and style, I would have thought so.

Comment

If you are familiar with Open Topic by Infopop then this is pretty much the same except you install it on your server where Open Topic is a hosted app.
                          I love vBulletin, but, if you run a extremely high traffic site, by high traffic I mean thousands of users online at a time continually, then this is the bbs system to use. It is extremely server friendly. Server side java servlets are very easy on resources.
                          As far as customizing the look it isn't that bad.
                          I have this package installed locally running with an Oracle backend.

Lets not turn this thread into a which is better thread. I love vb and thats what I choose to run. If I had a extreme high traffic site I would be running Jive for sure.
                          Admins Zone - Resources for Forum Administrators

Comment

Originally posted by AWS
                            If you are familiar with Open Topic by Infopop then this is pretty much the same except you install it on your server where Open Topic is a hosted app.
                            I love vBulletin, but, if you run a extremely high traffic site, by high traffic I mean thousands of users online at a time continually, then this is the bbs system to use. It is extremely server friendly. Server side java servlets are very easy on resources.
                            As far as customizing the look it isn't that bad.
                            I have this package installed locally running with an Oracle backend.

Lets not turn this thread into a which is better thread. I love vb and thats what I choose to run. If I had a extreme high traffic site I would be running Jive for sure.
                            So OpenTopic and Jive are similar in the way they work in the backend? The frontend features of Jive don't look very robust compared to vB.

I'm not trying to turn it into which is better thread, but I do need to know the positives and negatives of each. So far, it doesn't seem like there's any solid differences between the two except for platform. Does anyone have anything solid I can work with?

Comment

Possitive are you have your choice of backend. Mysql, msql, oracle, ingress or any other db.
                              It scales very well and is server friendly.
                              The forum they have for support is out of the box look. You can make it look any way you like, even make it look like vb if you wish, but, it isn't as easy as editing templates in vb.

Look at this way. If the site you will use the forum on is going to be heavily used then go with Jive. If not go with vb. If you want to run the forum with a backend that is less intense on a server than mysql then use Jive. If your limited to mysql then use vb, unless again this site will have heavy usage.

Yes. Open topic is based on the same technology, java servlets and xml to customize and onkly runs on Oracle. Open Topic has been arround longer is a hosted app geared towards large sites. Jive can be downloaded and installed on your server as long as you have java servlets installed and can run on any db.
                              Last edited by AWS; Wed 2 Jul '03, 2:47pm.
                              Admins Zone - Resources for Forum Administrators

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X