Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help big time, Microsoft wants my domain !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gab1982
    i recieved this email from microsoft corp today:
    Check the post here please:
    http://www.windowsos.com/forum/showt...?threadid=1869
    I need help alot please what should i do?
    You're screwed. Give up now.
    You're my Prince of Peace
    And I will live my life for You

Comment

Originally posted by nuno
      You're screwed. Give up now.
      Great Advice from nuno...

Advisory!: Dont ever take advice from nuno!

Comment

In the end, even if you happen to win a case and keep the domain (very doubtful) are you willing to go tens of thousands of dollars in debt just to keep something you make no money off of? Here is one true life example from a personal friend of mine.

His company name was Bud’s Racing Products. He real name is Bud. Budweiser (the beer company) demanded that he change his company name. His company has nothing to do with beer, could never be mistaken for anything having to do with beer and he never talked about beer in any of his literature (this was before the Internet). Budweiser claimed they may get into racing and that his company name might confuse people.

His lawyer advised him that most likely he could fight it and maybe win. But at what cost? He would have to declare bankruptcy just to start to pay the legal fees. He decided to change his company’s name instead of fight it.

I would suggest you write Microsoft a friendly email. Explain how much time and effort you have in your site, how it is helpful to many visitors and how much it means to you. Let them know that you’ll have to expend a lot of effort to get a new domain, redesign the new site and let everyone know about the new domain name. Let them know you’d like to be compensated for all of this effort and let them make an offer.

Maybe in your conversations you could offer to do some freelance web work for them on “their” windowsos.com web site or any other freelance work they may have. Let’s face it, they want it and they will get it. Use that to your advantage and try make something of a bad situation.

Comment

Originally posted by gab1982
          i have not earn 1 penny from windowsos.com so its not capitilsing on the windows name the only ms flag images are the news posting images which i will update and change asap.
          You need not make money to dilute a brandname. I could start a lemonade stand called Pepsi Lemonade and give the product to the homeless. I would still be breaking the law but the chances are that I would not make any money.
          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Originally posted by DirectPixel
            Alternatively, turn your site into Window SOS.com

Provide help for installing windows, mirrors, etc.

Actually, now that I think of it... what COULD Microsoft do if you renamed everything to Window SOS and removed the Windows logos? They wouldn't really have a case for trademark infringement on the domain name, would they?
            Sure they could... He is still using the trademark without written permission and it still pertains to the Windows OS.
            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Window is a registered trademark?
              :)

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Page
                I would recommend you hide/delete the thread. You never know, MS could use it against you....
                How is that? That is freedom of speech. There was never a NDA signed so how can posting that email be held against him?
                Sportstwo.com

Comment

The site for Windows already exists. Just because he changes it to "Window SOS" doesn't mean MS will just drop it. He was already infringing.
                  - AJ Zmudosky

Comment

Window SOS was very clever I'm really sorry to hear that. I guess the logical thing to do would be give the domain and in return get some money.

Comment

Who wants money when you can request for $100 and a 1-on-1 meeting with Bill Gats?
                      :)

Comment

gab1982, you are based in the uk?

Go to your local CAB in the first instance. There are also plenty of lawyers that may give you a free 1 hour consultation.

Comment

IMO, you got there first, and regged that domain

You aren't pretending to be Microsoft, so literally they cannot sue you for using a name which refers to something everyone has in their houses and everyone can look out of

Just find an abbreviation / name which could stand for OS, like, erm, open shutters (something windowy), and there is nothing they can do about it really...

Satan

Comment

Originally posted by hellsatan
                            IMO, you got there first, and regged that domain

You aren't pretending to be Microsoft, so literally they cannot sue you for using a name which refers to something everyone has in their houses and everyone can look out of

Just find an abbreviation / name which could stand for OS, like, erm, open shutters (something windowy), and there is nothing they can do about it really...

Satan
                            Isnt it the content of the site and what it actually relates to though?

Comment

My question: Why are you making this a big deal?

I guess I don't understand why everyone thinks they have to take Microsoft on, fist to fist. What would switching a domain hurt? If Microsoft asked me nicely, and agreed to pay for transfer, I would switch.

I can almost promise you that your domain provider will shut your domain down if they get that email from MS. I do not believe by hiring a lawyer, you can settle this. Loose - Loose situation that COULD be handled very easily. Then again, ITS COO to stand up to MS, isnt it?
                              Trent Gillespie Mod Theater Gillespie Photography

Comment

Well its the fact of the amount of work he has put into the site...

Comment