Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help big time, Microsoft wants my domain !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help big time, Microsoft wants my domain !

i recieved this email from microsoft corp today:
    Check the post here please:
    http://www.windowsos.com/forum/showt...?threadid=1869
    I need help alot please what should i do?
    bbdimension.com

Originally posted by gab1982
    i recieved this email from microsoft corp today:
    Check the post here please:
    http://www.windowsos.com/forum/showt...?threadid=1869
    I need help alot please what should i do?
    I don't think they can do much... Hire an attorney.

Comment

Tell them you will only give it up for 100 Billion Kajillion Famillion Dollars!

That should do it, right?

Comment

I get a server not found error with that URL. I don't know whether Windows is a registered trademark for a software. If so, you'd need an attorney to keep the URL, I think.
        Ueli

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Briscoe
          Tell them you will only give it up for 100 Billion Kajillion Famillion Dollars!

That should do it, right?
          No, then they'll say you're a cybersquatter

And the site won't load for me.

Comment

Yeah, I got the same error, it tried connecting forever and then timed out eventually...

Comment

Yeah, if you're dealing with a large corporation like Microsoft, you should definitely hire a good attorney. Also, you could ask for advice on the domainstate.com forum. They have members who are very knowledgeable about this type of thing.

Comment

k thanks for the quick replies people as i know of Microsoft cannot copyright a allready used word such as Windows, Windows is a word that is like a pane of glass in peoples houses in which you can see in and out of. Im not going to let them get this one.
                bbdimension.com

Comment

About the only thing they can enforce as far as I see it is the flag/logo bit. You can't argue on that one very much. The domain they won't be able to touch you though...they are just hoping you will roll over for them

Comment

Thanks thats a sign of relief
                    but i use there ms flag only in the news postings, neowin.net do it and so many other sites.
                    bbdimension.com

Comment

Yup, it is used quite a lot, but by MS's grace unfortunately. That is one thing I am sure they could clamp down on if they want to put the time and resources into it. Windows has become such an institution that they can't dissuade sites about it (on the contrary, I am sure they are thrilled about them ), but a registered logo is a very straight-forward case of copyright infringement.

If they push it...I would back down on it. That could be the thread they hang on to that loses your domain. This is all speculation, but if they were up against me...I would not take a chance. They have a much bigger legal department and the bankroll to back it up.

I know that's an assumption...but I feel its a pretty safe one hehe

Comment

The problem is that you are using the word "Windows" in a context that implies that you mean the Windows operating system.

Two things that you can do that will help your case are to:

1. Remove any graphics that look like official MS graphics (such as the Windows flag logo they mentioned.)

2. Place a disclaimer on your main page, and at the bottom of every page of your site stating something along the lines of "This website is not affiliated with the Microsoft Corporation, makers of the Windows operating system.

Basically, you need to show that you are making an effort to avoid having visitors to your site believe that you are affiliated with or endorsed by Microsoft. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Westech
                          The problem is that you are using the word "Windows" in a context that implies that you mean the Windows operating system.

Two things that you can do that will help your case are to:

1. Remove any graphics that look like official MS graphics (such as the Windows flag logo they mentioned.)

2. Place a disclaimer on your main page, and at the bottom of every page of your site stating something along the lines of "This website is not affiliated with the Microsoft Corporation, makers of the Windows operating system.

Basically, you need to show that you are making an effort to avoid having visitors to your site believe that you are affiliated with or endorsed by Microsoft. Good luck!
                          Exactly. Also, I wouldn't hand over **** to them. If they want the domain, they can pay you 50k for it.
                          Console Racing Review

Comment

Following Westech's advice, I don't think they will be able to touch you bud

Comment

Go for the big leagues and ask them for an affiliation, given that you will make changes to your website.

Your forums will grow by tons and tons, and you'll have almost no further legal troubles to worry about.
                              :)

Comment