Banned member threatening to sue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Banned member threatening to sue

Has anyone ever had a person so determined to stay a forum member that after banning them they see a solicitor about sueing you?
    I'm not particularly worried about it, but does anyone have any pointers to site which specify the law in this area?
    I'm tempted to invite him to re-register and then implement the 'ignore user' hack and apply it to him. But he has written to me saying that he *will* be reinstated and I'm determined not to allow people use my forums after they have threatened me with legal action.
    I'm talking about a UK hosted site and UK law, here.
    TIA.
    Stuart Wright, founder AVForums.com. [strike]13[/strike] 15 million posts and counting.
    vBulletin user from 2001. We stopped upgrading vB at 3.8.2 and sadly we're going no further.

Not being particularly familiar with UK law, I have no clue what he thinks he could sue you for. You run a private website and have the right (AFAIK) to let anyone in or keep anyone out as you see fit. Unless he paid money and you won't refund it or something of that nature, I highly doubt he has a claim.

Comment

Originally posted by tubedogg
      Not being particularly familiar with UK law, I have no clue what he thinks he could sue you for. You run a private website and have the right (AFAIK) to let anyone in or keep anyone out as you see fit. Unless he paid money and you won't refund it or something of that nature, I highly doubt he has a claim.
      That's what I was thinking. I bet it doesn't occur to very many people when they start a forum that if they are lucky enough for it to become popular they will have serious legal issues to address re libel etc.
      The stock vBulletin wording about the forums not being accountable for the posts of it's members simply doesn't hold water.
      Stuart Wright, founder AVForums.com. [strike]13[/strike] 15 million posts and counting.
      vBulletin user from 2001. We stopped upgrading vB at 3.8.2 and sadly we're going no further.

Comment

He's BSing you. I wouldn't take it seriously.
        Raz - KMC Forums

Comment

Haha, that's funny.

Don't worry about it, he has no right? to sue you at all for you banning him from your website. It's your website and you have the right to grant/disallow the use of it to any user you see fit, be it you don't like the person , he's degrading the website or any other reason applicable.

I'm not sure where abouts he lives... in any case it's no grounds to sue. He can easily get your address, name etc. But offer this to him freely and say that his "solicitor" should send any legal documents on this matter directly to this address, also mention that you've already been in talks with your solicitor about this matter and that he has no grounds for sueing.

This will soon shut him up.

Off Topic,
          tubedogg, you really need to update geeksblog

Comment

ignore him, or i'll sue you
            My open eyes see everything, and you see nothing. . .
            That forum

Comment

lol gotta love pithy 3 year olds these days havent you surprised the know what "legal action" means

Comment

He has nothing to scare you with, as a fact, he is currently obviously doing his best to bypass all your 'basic' attempts to keep him out of your web site. He is getting unauthorized access to it. That ain't too cool. Also, he contacts you about it and threatens you, this together can be considered as harrashment.

You could counter attack him with a 'FINAL CONTACT email. Write one in which you claim that he is (despite your friendliest attempts to solve the matter) no longer welcome at your web site and should seize his attempts to bypass any feature that keeps him out. And to stop emailing you. Inform him that this is the last contact email you will write and it is to inform him and to notify him about how you see the situation (as harrashment). If it doesn't stop, all future emails will be included to this one and automaticly forwarded to the abuse department of his internet service provider with the harrashment complaint and for attempting to gain unauthorized access to the web site from which he is banned due to his behaviour. Maybe it scares him off, and if not, then you have nothing more to do then actually issue the abuse emails. Gather his host address and see if it changes per email, if not. Ask your hosting provider to block it. It might help Good luck!

Comment

my god, xiphoid is the master of the web-lagality system lol

Comment

Originally posted by A:\
                    Off Topic,
                    tubedogg, you really need to update geeksblog
                    Your wish is my doing...or sumtin. Check it out, I finally updated it.

Comment

Originally posted by Shuriken-UK
                      my god, xiphoid is the master of the web-lagality system lol
                      I am not
                      It is called bluff
                      and a fair try to get rid of abusive users.

Comment

Originally posted by tubedogg
                        Your wish is my doing...or sumtin. Check it out, I finally updated it.
                        Wheee

Comment

Originally posted by Spinball
                          Has anyone ever had a person so determined to stay a forum member that after banning them they see a solicitor about sueing you?
                          I'm not particularly worried about it, but does anyone have any pointers to site which specify the law in this area?
                          I'm tempted to invite him to re-register and then implement the 'ignore user' hack and apply it to him. But he has written to me saying that he *will* be reinstated and I'm determined not to allow people use my forums after they have threatened me with legal action.
                          I'm talking about a UK hosted site and UK law, here.
                          TIA.
                          tell him to sod off dood, unless you speed in your car here in the uk, you can do pretty much as you please.........

Comment

If he's tryign to sue you for libel and defamation, it isn't going to work unless you printed something unjustly on your forum intending to hurt his reputation. Further more, he can't claim defamation unless you attacked his reputation.

If you didn't do any of those, he has really no case.

However, you can threaten to sue him for harassment if he keeps it up.
                            ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                            Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

I had one member who got pissed off from being banned. I think he said he was going to sue under free speach or some crap.

He never did anything in the end

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X