Bandwidth Usage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bandwidth Usage

Let's say you have about 500 users on a daily basis, reading , posting , and etc.

Can you post how much bandwidth and space your forums ends up with in a month? I need a good average so I can be prepared.

Well the replies you get will be inaccurate. It simply cannot be predicted. There are far too many factors.

However, with 500 concurrent connections, all active, you're looking at a huge amount of bandwidth. Go dedicated, and get at least 400GB a month, to be on the safe side.

Comment

Originally posted by N9ne
      Well the replies you get will be inaccurate. It simply cannot be predicted. There are far too many factors.

However, with 500 concurrent connections, all active, you're looking at a huge amount of bandwidth. Go dedicated, and get at least 400GB a month, to be on the safe side.

Whoa!
      For the people who are running with a large forum, how do you manage to afford such hosting (over 100~ gig of bandwidth)?

And please give post your montly average of bandwidth and space usage.

Comment

I average around 100GB b/w a month but I could do better (*slaps self)

Space usage, pfft, hardly any, about 1GB of my whole server, and that's including all other sites on it too.

Comment

Originally posted by N9ne
          I average around 100GB b/w a month but I could do better (*slaps self)

Space usage, pfft, hardly any, about 1GB of my whole server, and that's including all other sites on it too.

pfft?
          Do you have your own dedicated server or are you paying monthly for your dedicated server?

So everyone has their own dedicated server if they have over 300~ members on a daily basis due to 200~gigs of bandwidth?

If I buy myself a Dell server PC, how do I start my own dedicated server?
          Or is this not they way to go for a newbie?

Comment

Originally posted by HeavenOnAStick
            pfft?
            Do you have your own dedicated server or are you paying monthly for your dedicated server?

So everyone has their own dedicated server if they have over 300~ members on a daily basis due to 200~gigs of bandwidth?

How are your forums doing right now?

I started out on a shared hosting plan and when my site grew, I moved to a dedicated server.

We have between 150-175 online at one time on my site and we currently use about 100 gig of bandwidth per month. This also includes a few other sites I own.

Start out with what you need now...instead of guessing what you might need next year....Unless you have a forum that is getting 500 concurrent users online right now, start with your current needs with a bit to grow.

Most forums aren't huge.
            Fan Club member for VBulletin Dev and Support Team ;)

Hysterectomy - GirlsGetGoing.com - Fabulous Fifty

I'm frequently asked about the skin designer for my forums. ForumSkin.com

Comment

Originally posted by HeavenOnAStick
              pfft?

Well you could do that, and you could have it co-located. Then you'd have to pay for the rackspace and bandwidth per month plus any setup fees the host may have. I would head over to WebHostingTalk and do some research. Those forums have a ton of very useful information for you. When you are ready, you can either request a quote or see what specials different hosts are offering. Do your research before you buy a dedicated server. Also make sure your forum is ready for it and that you can afford it. RackShack has forums that may also be helpful to you as well. They offer dedicated servers as well, but I personally would never buy one from them.

Comment

bandwidth is cheap now, I have over a terra unused every month

Comment

Well, i see huge numbers here.

I had 200 users online almost always, and it could cope with 40gb a month...

Now i have gone dedicated...
                  Dutch vBullletin users social group!

Comment

Thanks for the webhostingtalk.com liink. Needed more research.
                    I am getting hosted by a friend, who has his dedicated server from Rackshack.net.

How do you manage to afford your forum cost (host and what not)?
                    Does everything come out of your pocket and doing it for the community or you have a program that gets you enough donation monthly?

Comment

Well currently I fund my site out of my own pocket, bu then I don't have a dedicated server either.

Comment

Currently running a semi-deticated machine at www.siteturn.com. Pay 69.95 a month and they allocate me 120GB of bandwidth. Our average is up around 180 - 190 last few months but they don't charge us. I think they fear we will go somewhere else if we ***** about paying.

Anyways, 180 for a site with 30-40 online users during the day. That is with a network of a few sites.
                        Trent Gillespie Mod Theater Gillespie Photography

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X