Website Copyrights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Website Copyrights

I am not familiar with the copyrights law.
    I want to get a domain that contains my school name and not sure if that will violate the copyrights of the school name.

1) Is it violating copyright of the school?
    2) Can I have my teachers name, classroom, subject info on my forum without first seeking their permission?
    3) Can I have school picture posted? Pictures that I have taken.

All of these can cause legal problems for you if the school and people in question want to pursue it. Whether they can win or not is unknown. It's best to talk to a Lawyer about this rather than take legal advice from non-Lawyers like us.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol
      All of these can cause legal problems for you if the school and people in question want to pursue it. Whether they can win or not is unknown. It's best to talk to a Lawyer about this rather than take legal advice from non-Lawyers like us.

Wonder if there is a forum for lawyers and legal information.
      Are there any forums out there is about their school?

Comment

For the pics you have taken who ever was in the picture you have to get there permission from them to post it on the web

Comment

Originally posted by Eric12
          For the pics you have taken who ever was in the picture you have to get there permission from them to post it on the web

I was thinking more of the campus itself. (okay or a violation of some copyright?)
          Maybe some school structure and the library.
          Not the people in the picture.

edit: Also, when I register a domain, do I need to put my real info at the registrar? I know someone who used their fake info for their privacy and security.
          (and I do understand you can hide it for a small fee, like at godaddy)
          Last edited by HeavenOnAStick; Mon 16 Jun '03, 5:20pm.

Comment

Originally posted by HeavenOnAStick
            I want to get a domain that contains my school name and not sure if that will violate the copyrights of the school name.

2) Can I have my teachers name, classroom, subject info on my forum without first seeking their permission?
            You cannot copyright a word. If anything, your school's name would be trademarked, however, unless you are speaking of a university I highly doubt your school's name is trademarked.

Regarding #2 all of that is public information anyway...and it is certainly not copyrightable.

Regarding pictures, it's iffy. If the school wanted to go after you, they might be able to get you under a ruling that you can copyright the architecture of a building. However this is highly unlikely that your school would go after you for this.

Comment

Hehe

Well for the domain name its self, there is nothing stopping you from getting it, even if its a registered trademark, there is nothing stopping you getting it for yourself. Like www.newzealand.com witch are govt had to buy, yes buy that domain from a person that bought it a few years ago (They paid 1 million NZD for it 1 month ago ). Keep in mind though that there is things you can be closed down/removed/sued on, like impersonation under the name (campany/org) you are using. If it were me, i would ask for consent from the school to stop any action that they may take on you.

Comment

Yea, you can register it just fine.

If you're evil enough, you can trademark the name yourself.
                :)

Comment

Originally posted by DirectPixel
                  Yea, you can register it just fine.

If you're evil enough, you can trademark the name yourself.

Yeah, it is a university. So the name is not [i]trademarked[.i]?

And to be more specific about my question, for example:
                  http://www.UCLAbears.com

It contains the unversity name so would it cause trouble?
                  And if I were to build a forum for UCLA students, so they can chat about courses, campus event and what not, would it cause trouble due to some copyrights law?

Comment

No, it shouldn't.

Comment

You can't really trademark UCLA.

United Chinese Lawyers and Associates.
                      :)

Comment

or USC

Undo my Stupid Cron! please

OPEN TECH SUPPORT
                        "Tech is our middle name!"

Comment

Originally posted by DirectPixel
                          You can't really trademark UCLA.

United Chinese Lawyers and Associates.

So I wouldn't be in any trouble for having such a forum, that revolves around the university?

Comment

Wonder if there is a forum for lawyers and legal information.
                            Are there any forums out there is about their school?
                            A quick search in our link directory brought me to http://forum.freeadvice.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Cary
                              A quick search in our link directory brought me to http://forum.freeadvice.com/

I really appreciate.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X