X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could the new PHPBB BETA rival VB3?

Hi;

I have just uploaded and tested the new PHPBB 2.1.1 BETA, it looks good so far considdering that they have not finished all of the features...

Test it for yourself;
    www.HabboForum.com/phpbb
    Username: demo
    password: demo
    (username has admin access)

Do you think this could rival VB3? I prefer VB3 but this PHPBB version is quite impressive so far.

Comments please.

Originally posted by Bobbaz
    Hi;

I have just uploaded and tested the new PHPBB 2.1.1 BETA, it looks good so far considdering that they have not finished all of the features...

Test it for yourself;
    http://www.HabboForum.com/phpbb
    Username: demo
    password: demo
    (username has admin access)

Do you think this could rival VB3? I prefer VB3 but this PHPBB version is quite impressive so far.

Comments please.
    hmm it doesn't even match Vb2 never mind Vb3
    rugs|cheap rugs|modern rugs|shaggy rugs|traditional rugs

Comment

Time to sound biased but all the stuff that phpBB2 is just in the process of implementing has been in vBulletin since version 2, some have had it since version 1.

The only thing appealing is the style which is almost impossible to edit due to the skill required to do so. Hence why so many phpBB installations are using the default style.
      Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

15 seconds testing...
        SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]

Unknown column 'group_single_user' in 'where clause'

CALLING PAGE

/phpbb/groupcp.php&sid=e57a8e3d7956804480aad67a69eeec9b

SQL

SELECT group_id, group_name, group_type FROM phpbb_groups g WHERE group_single_user <> 1 ORDER BY g.group_name
        Lumina, aventurière des mondes fantastiques et petite rédactrice au grand cœur
        Cœur Lumière - vBulletin-fr
        Join the vBulletin French community social group!

Comment

IMO, phpBB still beats vB in ease of installation hands down. Just a few clicks and no file edits, at least the last time I installed it locally.
          --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
          Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
          vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

Yeah, that is definetely not even going to come near rivaling vB 3, iPB still beats that.

Comment

The group link gives an error ... may need to report it as a bug or redo the installation process...

I agree that phpBB is easier to install, since all configuration options are done through the browser... it also has the best default style among all the free (or commercial) boards - and fortunately too, coz like IPB, it's a pain to customize the thing...

The admin panel is still barebones tho... it wouldn't even compete with vB2, I agree... probably the only thing phpBB has going for it is speed...
              OPEN TECH SUPPORT
              "Tech is our middle name!"

Comment

that just looks like like VB2. it *could rival VB2, yea. but not VB3.

Comment

To be honest, it doesn't matter how easy it is to install. vB2 is a breeze to install, just edit config.php, run the simple/easy install steps, and it's done?

vBulletin still wins.

Comment

You still have to edit files. Newbies should never have to see the PHP code...
                    --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
                    Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
                    vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

Have you checked out the Invision board?

Some of the features they have are just.... *drools*
                      Raz - KMC Forums

Comment

Originally posted by Raz Meister
                        Have you checked out the Invision board?

Some of the features they have are just.... *drools*
                        i got a beta of Invision 1.2 its good features like warning system
                        but i dont think its as good as Vb3

Comment

I think, that both, IPB and the new phpBB (not the current version!) can compete quite well with vBulletin 2.

But vB2 is two yeard old by now.

vBulletin 3 offers more features to the administrator than all other boards. So, it is easy to handle. It is also very easy to change the forums layout, which is a bit harder with IPB and very hard with phpBB2.

However, vB3 is maybe even too compley for a forum. I think that it is a extremely professional software, not really made for newbies.

So I think, that the new phpBB2 can quite compete with vB2, but it has an other target group than vB3 and cannot properly be compared to the latter.

Comment

Originally posted by Odysseus
                            I think, that both, IPB and the new phpBB (not the current version!) can compete quite well with vBulletin 2.

But vB2 is two yeard old by now.

vBulletin 3 offers more features to the administrator than all other boards. So, it is easy to handle. It is also very easy to change the forums layout, which is a bit harder with IPB and very hard with phpBB2.

However, vB3 is maybe even too compley for a forum. I think that it is a extremely professional software, not really made for newbies.

So I think, that the new phpBB2 can quite compete with vB2, but it has an other target group than vB3 and cannot properly be compared to the latter.
                            i think standard Invision 1.1 / 1.2 is better then vb2 i would say
                            however it doesn;t have as many hacks and Ibplanet has too many download problems
                            i tried to download many hacks but i end up getting 0 kb files on a lot of em
                            as a package Vb2 is much due to its hacks cuz theres loads of hacks on Vb that u simply can't get on Invision my favourite being the Futereal Arcade hack

and now with the event of Vb3 all others are left in the dust

Comment

the new phpBB is not even close to the vB 3

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X