Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mission Critical Computers Powered By Windows?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mission Critical Computers Powered By Windows?

Just goes to show that Mission Critical computers should run Unix...

That's supposed to be a radar image from Doppler 10,000.

(I was bored).
    Attached Files
    "63,000 bugs in the code, 63,000 bugs, you get 1 whacked with a service pack, now there's 63,005 bugs in the code."
    "Before you critisize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you critisize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."
    Utopia Software - Current Software: Utopia News Pro (news management system)

yeah, you're right When Unix ****s up, it saves more bandwidth by not showing a login screen or GUI
    OPEN TECH SUPPORT
    "Tech is our middle name!"

Comment

ROFL

Would have been even funnier if it had shown a BSOD instead of a login screen...

Comment

Originally posted by CeleronXT
        Just goes to show that Mission Critical computers should run Unix...

That's supposed to be a radar image from Doppler 10,000.

(I was bored).
        How is the image of doppler radar on a news-based website considered mission critical?

You can always go outside and see if it is going to rain. Especially since Doppler only has a range of about 600 miles. And only about the last 20 miles would effect most of us in our daily lives. It isn't like it is a future prediction which uses different tools and software.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
          How is the image of doppler radar on a news-based website considered mission critical?

You can always go outside and see if it is going to rain. Especially since Doppler only has a range of about 600 miles. And only about the last 20 miles would effect most of us in our daily lives. It isn't like it is a future prediction which uses different tools and software.
          Well, that's true, but one might consider Doppler a more important computer than, say, my webserver running Unix.
          "63,000 bugs in the code, 63,000 bugs, you get 1 whacked with a service pack, now there's 63,005 bugs in the code."
          "Before you critisize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you critisize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."

Comment

Such things as Radar systems usually use embedded systems that are custom built for that purpose. Another computer then takes that information and turns it into nice graphics for the human being who doesn't understand or can't even see radio waves. Actually what is down is probably the computer that creates the image and feeds it to the Webserver.

The city I live in uses a Windows PC to keep track of traffic patterns. They can even change signal switching if need be from a central location. However the signals at each intersection have their own embedded Unix control systems so that they would continue to operate even if City Hall were to blow up for some reason. This radar is most likely the same way.
            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

You're probably right...

Thus, you just killed all the fun in this.

http://www.instaweather.com/wjar/default.asp?cid=12 - Wonderful

Comment

The city I live in uses a Windows PC to keep track of traffic patterns. They can even change signal switching if need be from a central location. However the signals at each intersection have their own embedded Unix control systems so that they would continue to operate even if City Hall were to blow up for some reason. This radar is most likely the same way.
                What are you waiting for? I would drive around with my notebook tapped into their system. No red lights would be as close to heaven as I'm going to get.

Trent Gillespie Mod Theater Gillespie Photography

Comment